British Speedway Forum

Swimming, I repeat swimming (no disrespect to swimmers out there), has an organised, neutral governance. Phelps front page headlines. Speedway, a far more exciting and in my opinion sellable sport, Darcy who? Highlights why we are where we are to me.

Not really.One reason and one reason only why swimmers and other sportmen and women are household names and that is because their relatively poorly attended sports are part of the Olympics.These sports disappear from view for 3.5 years and most people would have no idea who the new stars are until the Olympics start again

Edited by iris123

Not really.One reason and one reason only why swimmers and other sportmen and women are household names and that is because their relatively poorly attended sports are part of the Olympics.These sports disappear from view for 3.5 years and most people would have no idea who the new stars are until the Olympics start again

Although i'm gutted to agree :o , how many people apart from the Olympics can say they have watched a serious swimming event ? I'd guess speedway worldwide pulls a greater number of spectators each year , many , many times over.

Not altogether accurate. World Championships, European Championships and Commonwealth Games are also watched in far bigger numbers than speedway (obviously due to BBC coverage). There's major swimming events every year, so its never out of the public eye for 3.5 years at a time.

Swimming is also something the public can easily identify with.. how many take part in competitive swimming events up and down the country compared to speedway? That's without even going into the 'leisure' side of it.

Although i'm gutted to agree :o , how many people apart from the Olympics can say they have watched a serious swimming event ? I'd guess speedway worldwide pulls a greater number of spectators each year , many , many times over.

And swimming pulls in a greater number of tv viewers many, many, many, many more times over.

A lot more people will have watched a serious swimming event on tv NOT including the Olympics than have even heard of Tai Woffinden.

• Like 1

Not altogether accurate. World Championships, European Championships and Commonwealth Games are also watched in far bigger numbers than speedway (obviously due to BBC coverage). There's major swimming events every year, so its never out of the public eye for 3.5 years at a time.

Swimming is also something the public can easily identify with.. how many take part in competitive swimming events up and down the country compared to speedway? That's without even going into the 'leisure' side of it.

And swimming pulls in a greater number of tv viewers many, many, many, many more times over.

A lot more people will have watched a serious swimming event on tv NOT including the Olympics than have even heard of Tai Woffinden.

And without TV ? Speedway wins.

And without TV ? Speedway wins.

Irrelevant, TV is and has always been there. Get the headlines and gain the attention. It's what you do with it that counts. Speedway is far from winning on that front.

Not really.One reason and one reason only why swimmers and other sportmen and women are household names and that is because their relatively poorly

attended sports are part of the Olympics.These sports disappear from view for 3.5 years and most people would have no idea who the new stars are until the Olympics start again

I have to disagree with that. At least in Sweden, swimming gets pretty good coverage between the Olympics.

The various championships are usually aired live on tv..

• Like 1

Has Darcy failed a swimming test now?? If so, I blame the chlorine!! :D

How was he taking it? :shock::rofl: :rofl:

Edited by The White Knight

I have to disagree with that. At least in Sweden, swimming gets pretty good coverage between the Olympics.

The various championships are usually aired live on tv..

I am not convinced just because something is on tv.Most of the time they just seem to be fillers not really on at prime time.Wouldn't be surprised if over the year speedway has more people watching it on tv and certainly more people attending professional meetings in GB and even Sweden(although that is a big guess).The results etc hardly ever make it into the newspapers or not that i have noticed and i reckon you have as much chance on the streets to find someone who knows a reigning European swimming champ as you would have of finding someone who knows the reigning European speedway champ and that goes for athletics as well

Has Darcy failed a swimming test now??

Yeah, he forgot his pyjamas so couldn't do that "dive in and pick the rubber brick up from the bottom of the pool" thing.

Despite a couple of previous posts,i want to state categorically that i am not anti-pool

I am not convinced just because something is on tv.Most of the time they just seem to be fillers not really on at prime time.Wouldn't be surprised if over the year speedway has more people watching it on tv and certainly more people attending professional meetings in GB and even Sweden(although that is a big guess).The results etc hardly ever make it into the newspapers or not that i have noticed and i reckon you have as much chance on the streets to find someone who knows a reigning European swimming champ as you would have of finding someone who knows the reigning European speedway champ and that goes for athletics as well

Come on now Iris, it's bad enough using Swimming, but to bring Athletics into the mix is bordering on the insane.

Come on now Iris, it's bad enough using Swimming, but to bring Athletics into the mix is bordering on the insane.

I used to go to the Crystal Palace meetings,so know how poorly attended they were and that was once or twice a season.Wimbledon speedway would knock spots of of those figures in a month or so

I think someone is taking the piss now. Probably Darcy from the top of the diving board :o