British Speedway Forum

500cc, I don't think FIM have the authority to decide what Darcy does or eat/drink outside of competition (except for

banned substances obviously) especially since alcohol is only banned "in competition", Neither do I think that it's for

FIM's to set Darcy straight, that is Darcy's own responsibility.

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 2

If Ward were to be found guilty (and I accept that remains an open issue), what would everyone think of this.

a) Either a suspension for a period as determined by the FIM

OR

B) An earlier re-instatement but with stringent conditions for the period between re-instatement and the expiry of the full suspension. Those conditions would be an agreement for zero consumption of alcohol and regular testing during this restricted period. This includes no alcohol in his personal time, even if he isn't riding that week for example. It would also include the period where his personal bookings for the European season had finished but the restrictive period was in place (i.e. he was on holiday). Failure to adhere would result in the immediate activation of the full suspension, with the potential (and probability) of an actual increase in that suspension.

Not advocating this, just wondering people's thoughts. The bit that does resonate with me, is that Ward's "problems" do appear entrenched with alcohol. Not necessarily what we'd perceive as drunk, but just being around it.

Whatever one thinks about Darcy Ward, it's not for a sporting body to impose draconian restrictions on one's lifestyle. He hasn't committed (in this particular case) a criminal offence.

• Like 1

Quite true.

It was the underage boy in his company that was charged with rape.

The clarity of that distinction is so comforting, don't you find?.

Phil Rising could quite easily have clarified the situation rather than allege libel on a technicality. However, I think it's fair to point that Darcy Ward was acquitted in that particular case, so he shouldn't really be described as even an 'alleged sexual assaulter'.

Clearly trouble seems to follow the bloke around, probably because he likes a drink too many, but that doesn't automatically make someone guilty of everything they're accused of...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 4

Very very harsh to describe Ward as ' a sexual assaulter'

What Ward does is attract trouble thats pretty obvious

• Like 1

Whatever one thinks about Darcy Ward, it's not for a sporting body to impose draconian restrictions on one's lifestyle. He hasn't committed (in this particular case) a criminal offence.

I agree.

I only put it out there as there are some similarities (and differences of course) with the situation with Josh Gordon in the NFL. I believe like Ward, they both have a single criminal conviction relating to a motor vehicle under the influence. Both have been linked to marijuana use.

It is interesting to see how the two sports have addressed these issues.

Gordon failed a drug test as a student (marijuana) and was indefinitely suspended (effectively kicked out of college) - he had a previous suspension for the same offence. He entered the NFL with effectively one strike next to his name for that offence.

He subsequently failed a test in the NFL and was suspended for two games. A second failure and he was suspended for a year. The NFL don't specifically identify the type of substance abuse (alcohol, marijuana, cocaine etc). But from what Gordon has chosen to say, they are all marijuana.

He was then stopped driving under the influence whilst his one year ban was being confirmed. Perversely due to some changes in the regulations, this was reduced to 10 games (the season is 16 games - max 19 with the play-offs). And this is then the bit I'm linking to with Ward.

As part of his re-instatement he was required to entirely abstain from alcohol during the remainder of the season and be subject to regular testing. After his teams final game of the season he boarded a private jet with some team mates. He drank two beers and two further alcoholic drinks. He was subsequently tested and failed - i.e. he drank alcohol, the quantity being irrelevant. He fell foul of the fact that the NFL season was/is still in progress, even though his season was over - he was on holiday. He now faces a potential year ban for those drinks and potentially the end of his career.

On the face of it, he has a string of offences. However, all but two are marijuana use and one of those two was a few social drinks with ZERO criminal implications. So one serious offence, driving under influence.

Then look at Ward. He has a similar public criminal offence with a vehicle. In fairness it's not known if he was over the limit, but he was reported as using both marijuana and alcohol. As Middleditch said

“It is what most young people do these days isn't it? He wasn't racing or putting anyone else's life at risk on the track. It is just another silly mistake from Darcy - hopefully it won't have an effect on his riding.”
Speedway chose to ignore this offence.
Ward now stands accused of failing an alcohol test prior to a meeting. It would be nice if Middleditch better recognised the significance of his second sentence in relation to the current situation. Offering him support is fine. Making his own decision that he's served his time is not something he should be involved in as effectively a manager of the accused.
In terms of delays, by the way. His employee, Cleveland Browns, were kept waiting a large amount of time for a decision on the one year ban, to the extent it was too late to get a partially suitable replacement. So no different to Speedway there.
Now I don't agree Ward should be punished in the way Gordon has / will be. I'm actually critical of the NFL on their drug policy. It is far to lenient on those who are drug abusers. And the NFL are a law to themselves anyway. But it is still an interesting comparison.

500cc, I don't think FIM have the authority to decide what Darcy does or eat/drink outside of competition (except for

banned substances obviously) especially since alcohol is only banned "in competition", Neither do I think that it's for

FIM's to set Darcy straight, that is Darcy's own responsibility.

Absolutely agree 100%.

The NFL is different because there are agreements with the Player's Union on what is and isn't allowed.

And I totally disagree with the idea I put forward anyway. The only bit that makes sense is it would probably do Ward an awful lot of good to abstain voluntarily.

• Like 1

I don't believe Ward has any legal conviction against his name!!

Do we know which day the verdict it's likely to be next week?

Hopefully before Tuesday so that Speedway Star can carry the story next week!

Hopefully before Thursday as he has flights booked!! :shock::wink:

Edited by Skidder1

Hopefully before Tuesday so that Speedway Star can carry the story next week!

Hopefully before Thursday as he has flights booked!! :shock::wink:

Ha ha, thanks Skidder

Does he have to stay for the verdict then? :/

You can never trust the press !!!

Just blame the Bournemouth Echo for saying he was convicted.

Do we know which day the verdict it's likely to be next week?

As far as I am aware it is only Darcy who has said this in his tweek stating ' a call will be made next week'?

I have my doubts they will have told him a decision would be forthcoming next week, far more likely that it will be made in due course.

Based upon past cases the FIM has dealt with and the rules stating 45 days it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see next week go by with no news...

The pro Warders will be up in arms about what a joke it is again then!

• Like 5

The NFL is different because there are agreements with the Player's Union on what is and isn't allowed.

And I totally disagree with the idea I put forward anyway. The only bit that makes sense is it would probably do Ward an awful lot of good to abstain voluntarily.

The NFL approach sounds ridiculously puritanical, but typical of employers in the US who feel they have the right to dictate employee lifestyles. If someone fails drugs/alcohol tests in competition that's one thing, but frankly outrageous that an employer can dictate such things out-of-competition that are not performance enhancing, and I seriously hope that we never see such things in Europe.

That Darcy Ward behaves like an idiot is not in much dispute, but unless his misdeeds happen in the sport, then it's really not any business of the sport, nor is the sport morally obliged to deal with them.

Now now, BWitcher, you should know that the FIM have it in for Ward and Middlo personally and that they are deliberately delaying Ward's case till March just to spite Middlo and his team building efforts. That's why they have been delaying his case for as long as possible. All other cases they deal with are done and dusted within a week.....er....

• Like 2

As far as I am aware it is only Darcy who has said this in his tweek stating ' a call will be made next week'?

I have my doubts they will have told him a decision would be forthcoming next week, far more likely that it will be made in due course.

Based upon past cases the FIM has dealt with and the rules stating 45 days it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see next week go by with no news...

The pro Warders will be up in arms about what a joke it is again then!

Good point. Although Middlo did too, but he's as reliable as a Citroen on a cold day and his info would have come from Ward no doubt..

But what about poor old Poole and their team building, I thought we were told the FIM would we bowing down to them? Will they be claiming compensation too? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Rape is penetration of the penis.

So it counts as rape when Muddlo penetrates social media ?