British Speedway Forum

Adams was a great!

AGREE with that ... as was Tommy Knudsen who didn't win a individual World title either. And Chris Morton for that matter...

AGREE with that ... as was Tommy Knudsen who didn't win a individual World title either. And Chris Morton for that matter...

We go along this route and half the world was a "great" including Simmo,Jessup,Autrey,Crutcher,Harrfeldt,Walosek.Was Schwartz a great or not and does Harris qualify having ridden in more world championship "finals" than most?

• Like 4

Quite right, Doug. There are very few greats - hence the term! Not even every World Champion could be classed a great.

• Like 2

He's a good rider but won't be great until he wins something of note.

Wins something of note ? What is he, 23ish, 2X WORLD u 21 champion, won a GP, won the prestigious Golden helmet. I've seen a lot worse CV!!!

• Like 1

He's a good rider but won't be great until he wins something of note.

You don't have to be a World Champion to be great.

Leigh Adams qualifies as a great, just in my opinion, because of the way he conducted himself, gave everything for his Team, was a superb Ambassador for Speedway and also seemed, to me at least, to be a very 'Sporting' person as regards giving credit to others.

Greatness comes in many forms and a Rider I will always remember with a great deal of pleasure, for his actions both 'on' and 'off the Track, would be Leigh Adams.

• Like 2

You don't have to be a World Champion to be great.

Leigh Adams qualifies as a great, just in my opinion, because of the way he conducted himself, gave everything for his Team, was a superb Ambassador for Speedway and also seemed, to me at least, to be a very 'Sporting' person as regards giving credit to others.

Greatness comes in many forms and a Rider I will always remember with a great deal of pleasure, for his actions both 'on' and 'off the Track, would be Leigh Adams.

Totally agree with you

• Like 1

Talk about great...how about the greatest to date...Darcy Ward is without doubt the most talented rider ever to throw his leg over a speedway bike. I have been watching speedway for nearly 60 years and have never seen a rider with so much time on a bike ...just as well he cannot gate otherwise it would be boring !!!

Edited by jacksback
  • Like 1

In principle I agree with you TWK. You don't have to be a world champion to be classed as great.. Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon, Jack Parker and Vic Duggan spring to mind and, of course, there are different measures of greatness and you make a good point regarding Leigh Adams. Nigel Boocock would be another similar.

I'm not sure I would class Darcy Ward as a great yet. He has done a lot in his 23 years, no doubt about it. But I really think he needs a few more years of winning major individual events to be classed as truly great.

• Like 1

Alot of judging a riders greatness is usually impaired by your own bias, i think alot of us do that.Out of all the Champions Pedersen who is a three time world champion for me he would not get in my all time top twenty.Alot would disagree but i would have Olsen,Gundersen,Lee,Nielsen,Sigalos,Adams,Gollob, all ahead of him mainly because of there ability and conduct.To name a all time top twenty it would be interesting to see how many of the GP stars got in it.?

Alot of judging a riders greatness is usually impaired by your own bias, i think alot of us do that.Out of all the Champions Pedersen who is a three time world champion for me he would not get in my all time top twenty.Alot would disagree but i would have Olsen,Gundersen,Lee,Nielsen,Sigalos,Adams,Gollob, all ahead of him mainly because of there ability and conduct.To name a all time top twenty it would be interesting to see how many of the GP stars got in it.?

I wouldn't think that many sidney.

T Rick and crump would be top 10. Greg Nicki and gollob top 20. If tai wins this year I'd add him to the list.

The GPs have been going 20 years, there were 60-ish years of speedway before that. It suggests if you're naming a top 20 that the GP era should have about 5 riders. We have had Trick, Crump, Nicki and Greg who would all make top 20 and Hans Nielsen ride 5 seasons of GPs too.

By the end of next season Woffy may have won 3 world titles by the age of 25 and in 5 attempts putting him in the top 5!

Who would you say are the top 20 overall?

My 20 would be (not in order):

Briggs mauger Moore Collins Lee craven funding michanek knuttson t Rick Hancock penhall gollob Nielsen gundersen Olsen n pedersen j crump young duggan

The GPs have been going 20 years, there were 60-ish years of speedway before that. It suggests if you're naming a top 20 that the GP era should have about 5 riders. We have had Trick, Crump, Nicki and Greg who would all make top 20 and Hans Nielsen ride 5 seasons of GPs too.

By the end of next season Woffy may have won 3 world titles by the age of 25 and in 5 attempts putting him in the top 5!

Who would you say are the top 20 overall?

I may be biased but i would say TRick is the best of those..

Wins something of note ? What is he, 23ish, 2X WORLD u 21 champion, won a GP, won the prestigious Golden helmet. I've seen a lot worse CV!!!

So that's 1 GP, 2 junior titles and an open meeting. Not my definition of great.

• Like 2