British Speedway Forum

Despite protestations by Star Fever few if any are anti Ward. What they see however is a rider of immense talent who makes mistake after mistake seemingly with impunity , who cannot or will not see the error of his ways. The time has come for him to pay the price at last. By all means give him help if necessary but with his past record one wonders if he will be willing to accept it.

• Like 5

In sport it does seem the more bankable the name the more mitigation, leniency etc. is talked about - I wasn't surprised to turn my telly on last nite and see one Suarez playing for Barcelona despite a worldwide ban for biting an opponent and being treated like a hero. I despair sometimes

Edited by longlivefrankie

I wasn't surprised to turn my telly on last nite and see one Suarez playing for Barcelona despite a worldwide ban for biting an opponent and being treated like a hero. I despair sometimes

Spotted that myself and thought what the heck.

No one seems to learn.

Same with DW

I don't know how reliable this article is, but it claims that Darcy had 0.5 promille alocohol level in the first test and 0,3 promille alocohol level in the second test.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pomorska.pl%2Fapps%2Fpbcs.dll%2Farticle%3FAID%3D%2F20140818%2FZUZEL92%2F140819155&edit-text=

10mg/litre exhaled air, is the same as 0.2 promille.

Edited by Ghostwalker

I don't know how reliable this article is, but it claims that Darcy had 0.5 promille alocohol level in the first test and 0,3 promille alocohol level in the second test.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pomorska.pl%2Fapps%2Fpbcs.dll%2Farticle%3FAID%3D%2F20140818%2FZUZEL92%2F140819155&edit-text=

10mg/litre exhaled air, is the same as 0.2 promille.

I see in that article you refer to that this is also mentioned, talking about likely punishment (don't know if it's initial pending further investigations or not):

"It is very possible that he will be suspended from the player for 30 days, because such a punishment predict FIM disciplinary rules. Then you would start in the last two matches Unibaksu in the main round, the tournament would lose GP in Gorzow and Vojens."

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

if i interpret correctly, that would be over the drink drive limit in NZ which is 400mg for breath test and 80mg for blood test (looks like Darcy was 500mg and100mg in breath/blood respectively, if I'm reading correctly.

If that's the case, then he must have had a pretty big session to be blowing that at lunchtime, and has to be looking at the rest of the season surely?

Though, that doesn't seem to tie back to Phil's assertion that he may have passed a test four hours later, where I understand he would hav eneeded a close to zero reading?

• Like 1

Who is Suarez? Is he an Aboriginal speedway rider with a drink problem?

I will treat that comment with the contempt it deserves

if i interpret correctly, that would be over the drink drive limit in NZ which is 400mg for breath test and 80mg for blood test (looks like Darcy was 500mg and100mg in breath/blood respectively, if I'm reading correctly.

If that's the case, then he must have had a pretty big session to be blowing that at lunchtime, and has to be looking at the rest of the season surely?

Though, that doesn't seem to tie back to Phil's assertion that he may have passed a test four hours later, where I understand he would hav eneeded a close to zero reading?

Haven't you got that wrong going by the above amounts: 0.2 promille = 10mg/litre therefore Darcy's 0.5 promille = 25mg/litre and 0.3 promille = 15mg/litre?
  • Like 1

What I don't understand about the whole situation is, If the news that Darcy received was that bad why didn't he just withdraw from the meeting instead of turning to the bottle??

• Like 1

In sport it does seem the more bankable the name the more mitigation, leniency etc. is talked about - I wasn't surprised to turn my telly on last nite and see one Suarez playing for Barcelona despite a worldwide ban for biting an opponent and being treated like a hero. I despair sometimes

Part of the deal was that he took out the Spanish 'Denplan' insurance - for all opponents!! :D

• Like 1

Because the person concerned has a recognisable and well- known name in a sport is of no relevance what so ever, at this moment in time. It is the actions taken which caused a result to take place, and found to be beyond the allotted rules of the governing body, and should be treated as such. 1+1 still add up to 2 and 2+2 still make 4 no matter who does the maths. So the resulting outcome should still be the same. You cannot make allowances for a professor doing the maths, to a student doing the same.

It amazes me that had he drove in any country but the UK, Luxembourg or Malta with that amount he'd be banned from driving for many months, generally a year minimum - yet we're talking about him only getting a 30 day ban!

Haven't you got that wrong going by the above amounts: 0.2 promille = 10mg/litre therefore Darcy's 0.5 promille = 25mg/litre and 0.3 promille = 15mg/litre?

Yes I did hsve it wrong. Looks like darcy was under uk drink drive limit (37mcg for breath test), but closer to the limit than to zero.

Yes I did hsve it wrong. Looks like darcy was under uk drink drive limit (37mcg for breath test), but closer to the limit than to zero.

He was under the UK limit but the UK has the least strict limit in the World!