British Speedway Forum

THERE may be faults at the FIM but being unduly influenced by an outside agency like a major sponsor is not one of them. I would suggest that their lawyers are beyond reproach.

I am sure there are countless cases where the police have made mistakes with alcohol testing and the perpetrators have got off scot free and that's just the way it is.

If (big, big if still) this is also the case with Darcy then he is as entitled as any to treated accordingly.

If this went to be herd in a court anywhere in the world what would the outcome be? Darcy has already had brushes with the law in the uk,and back in Australia,ALL with alcohol involved.i dont think he would get a slap on the wrist would he?!!!

BUT surely the FIM will only deal with what falls within their jurisdiction. Not sure that his past record on an Australia highway is of any consequence in this case.

• Like 2

BUT surely the FIM will only deal with what falls within their jurisdiction. Not sure that his past record on an Australia highway is of any consequence in this case.

Agreed, the FIM will only look at Wards failure to pass the alcohol test in Latvia, nothing else. They will also need to make sure whatever decision they come to is legally water tight as Ward will be allowed an appeal if he thinks his punishment, should he get one, is over the top.

Monster Energy don't have control on the rules, but they supply the financial clout for the SGP series, which in due course benefits the FIM.

Every decision about speedway is secretive, long winded and drawn out. Darcy should have been fined and banned on the spot say 2 months from all activities. Problem solved. He would have time to get himself and his Knee sorted and be back next year with a new manager and guardian ready to show the world what he can do.

As it is, we drag on and on and on, In the end nobody give a damn......and the sport has lost the opportunity to show people of the world it is run properly.

Can you imagine the situation if Lewis Hamilton turned up for a race meeting over the limit........

The difference (between Lewis Hamilton and Darcy Ward) is that Lewis Hamilton wouldn't.

• Like 5

The difference (between Lewis Hamilton and Darcy Ward) is that Lewis Hamilton wouldn't.

Niki Rosberg probably would though!!! :party: Mind you it might make F1 more exciting to watch. :shock::wink:

Back to the case in hand, as we are still discussing the whys, wherefores and what-ifs in light of the latest info re legal process. it could be argued that DW has already been punished ie fined and banned from a GP.

Not saying I agree with that, but if it is found that there was any issue with the testing then maybe a further reprimand/fine - based on him admitting he drank - and 'suspended' sentence re the GPs is warranted - unless of course that doesn't fall within the FIM's regs?!

SURELY better to test before they ride than afterwards ... better still to test all of them

Yes of course better to test before and ALL of them, but as they only test a sample just thought it strange that they don't test the podium finishers as they do in other disciplines too.

There's been some serious allegations made by other SGP riders in the wake of Ward failing his breath test. Would include urine tests as well as breathaliser tests for ALL riders prior to future FIM events. It's sad to believe that some could be using recreational drugs or out partying the night before an event when you consider the already heightened risks within the sport. Maybe the only way forward for some of them to "keep their nose clean"

Out of interest, do you know who was responsible for carrying out the breathaliser tests at Latvia?

Wasn't it reported that Dudek was tested after he rode for Zielona Gora, back in June?

I wonder, with all the chaos of switching venues in Latvia, whether the usual official 'random testing' procedure was adhered to?? Or whether there was any 'cutting of corners'?

You never know , Ward may have been 'shopped' by another rider who would benefit by Ward not being in the series?? :wink::shock::nono:

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Yes of course better to test before and ALL of them, but as they only test a sample just thought it strange that they don't test the podium finishers as they do in other disciplines too.

There's been some serious allegations made by other SGP riders in the wake of Ward failing his breath test. Would include urine tests as well as breathaliser tests for ALL riders prior to future FIM events. It's sad to believe that some could be using recreational drugs or out partying the night before an event when you consider the already heightened risks within the sport. Maybe the only way forward for some of them to "keep their nose clean"

Out of interest, do you know who was responsible for carrying out the breathaliser tests at Latvia?

An interesting choice of words. :shock::blink:

You never know , Ward may have been 'shopped' by another rider who would benefit by Ward not being in the series?? :wink::shock::nono:

but if Ward was seen drinking and someone was going to be riding against him the following lunchtime, surely that's a good thing

• Like 4

THE doctor in association with the referee...

but if Ward was seen drinking and someone was going to be riding against him the following lunchtime, surely that's a good thing

RIDERS names are taken from a random ballot...

I didn't say it was wrong - if it happened - but may not have followed the correct process?!

You would think so, and you'd hope the rules cover the eventuality of a rider not randomly selected but still be made subject to a test because of the reasonable suspicion that he might fail it. But this is speedway...

The FIM and the promoters surely have a duty of care to all participants; failing to test a suspect rider would be neglecting the safety of the others. Of course, ideally they should test all the participants, but randomly testing a few is regarded as an acceptable shortcut.

IF my memory serves me correct, and I was there, Stefan Danno was deliberately tested because of his behaviour and the unmistakable smell of alcohol.

Nothing suspicious about Ward's behaviour on Sunday morning.

• Like 3

Darcy Ward is not the first sportsman to make a mistake and he won't be the last.He fractionally failed the test and his punishment was basically losing his crack at the World Grand Prix this year.He wasn't on a drink and drug fuelled bender and I'm sure will learn from it,He deserves any punishment given to him and was immensely stupid.One day another rider will get caught out doing a lot worse and look forward to seeing people's reaction then.He was caught in time,no other rider was put at risk and he went on tv and explained himself.Reckless riding by the likes of Pedersen is far more dangerous and frequent with no bans or punishments.Time to draw a line under it but keep an eye on Darcy's future conduct for his own and everyone's good.That way we won't demonise a talented young rider and shatter his confidence and desire leaving the sport of speedway the poorer for it.

Also if this person saw Darcy drinking and was "decent" enough to report him,Why weren't they decent enough to attempt to stop him?

• Like 2

IF my memory serves me correct, and I was there, Stefan Danno was deliberately tested because of his behaviour and the unmistakable smell of alcohol.

Nothing suspicious about Ward's behaviour on Sunday morning.

Were you with him at 2am ;)

• Like 1

from personal experiences at domestic level they seem to test in monthly periods .i or my team mates were tested 3 times in 2weeks and then nothing till the next year when you would see a few weeks of testing and then nothing .without naming names or teams a few years ago i saw some sorry states after cardiff gp and was in the meeting with some of them the next day when they didnt look to great then and it showed in their racing. I dont think they would of past a test that day