British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
4thbender

Has Machin Changed His Mind?

It was announced in sombre tones at the end of last season that Neil Machin had had enough and the Owlerton club was up for sale. With great fanfare in January Damien Bates and Peter Mole were welcomed as the new team owners. However for (at least) the past few weeks the programme has stated that the promoters are Damien Bates, Peter Mole and NEIL MACHIN!

Does this represent changes at the top or am I missing something?

I suspect Neil is the sitting promoter ie any new promotional team need to have an experienced promoter to be there as a guide for their first season - if there is not one available they will allocate one from a nearby track but it's always better if you can call upon one from your own resources

• Like 1

What happened to Simon Parker? His name seems to have been dropped.

I think a clean break from Mr Machin would have been wise if at all possible. No disrespect to Neil but human nature being what it is I can't imagine he would have been cockerhoop if Tigers had been super successful under new leadership. I suppose I am questioning whether he can be fully commited to the success of the Tigers any more.

What happened to Simon Parker? His name seems to have been dropped.

I think a clean break from Mr Machin would have been wise if at all possible. No disrespect to Neil but human nature being what it is I can't imagine he would have been cockerhoop if Tigers had been super successful under new leadership. I suppose I am questioning whether he can be fully commited to the success of the Tigers any more.

He had to be there, was wanted to be there for guidance to the new promotion, and would only have the best of wishes and intentions on anything that had his name on it.

Only on the BSF could it be thought anything else.

• Like 3

He had to be there, was wanted to be there for guidance to the new promotion, and would only have the best of wishes and intentions on anything that had his name on it.

Only on the BSF could it be thought anything else.

Nothing to do with the BSF.

I've been round the block a few times and its my take on the situation.

Neil runs it for twenty or so years goes through a lean patch, someone else takes it over. if they had turned it around do you think he would have been jumping up and down clapping?

Neil Machin is at the club purely to guide the new Promoters and to assist them and to offer up any advice, i think that role was originally earmarked for Dave Hoggart I believe but the new Promotion decided to go along with Neil instead.

Which seems very sensible to me after all the shenanigans that have gone of at Birmingham.

As for Simon Parker as far as I am aware Simon is still definitely involved with the club, not sure why his name is not down as a Co- Promoter, could be down to how the club was bought and the share issue.

But I think that you will find that it is definitely a new Promotion running the show and Neil is there as an advisor.

I've no particular axe to grind. Just my observation on human nature. I still think a clean break would have been best if possible.

I suppose the nature of any advice given and how it is acted upon is really the crux of this but I will never know.

It is to Machins credit that he has made himself available to the new Sheffield promotion as a guide of their first season.

• Like 1

Is he only involved for this first season then?

Edited by Japser

Not really mind boggling

Neil was retained as promoter as part of the hand over and it also made sense to ensure that Sheffield's interests could be supported by a vote at the BSPA conference. (You must have attended 2 AGMs to be eligible for a vote) A club can only have three licensed promoters which is why Damien and Peter ( who wanted to be promoters) are named as such and I am not. The shareholding is equal.

• Like 3

Not really mind boggling

Neil was retained as promoter as part of the hand over and it also made sense to ensure that Sheffield's interests could be supported by a vote at the BSPA conference. (You must have attended 2 AGMs to be eligible for a vote) A club can only have three licensed promoters which is why Damien and Peter ( who wanted to be promoters) are named as such and I am not. The shareholding is equal.

Thanks for clearing that up Simon.

• Like 1

I've no particular axe to grind. Just my observation on human nature. I still think a clean break would have been best if possible.

I suppose the nature of any advice given and how it is acted upon is really the crux of this but I will never know.

You will never know, but you have already made your mind up.