British Speedway Forum
SCB

Lakeside Vs Poole 1st Sept (sky Meeting)

Middlo yet again takes to twitter and opens his mouth befire thinking. Calls it a shambles that shouldn't have got to heat 10 because of the safety of the riders and the fans. He is getting absolutly and quite rightly blasted as he said none of this at Belle Vue. He is right that it should have been called off but he wasn't concerned last year. Someone needs to tell the hypocritical clown to stop posting on there

Perhaps he realised belle vue shouldnt have happened either but if that is the case he should say so

Middlo yet again takes to twitter and opens his mouth befire thinking. Calls it a shambles that shouldn't have got to heat 10 because of the safety of the riders and the fans. He is getting absolutly and quite rightly blasted as he said none of this at Belle Vue. He is right that it should have been called off but he wasn't concerned last year. Someone needs to tell the hypocritical clown to stop posting on there

And he is right it was a shambles,the meeting should have been called off after the downpour.Because you can bet your life if sky had not been there it would have been.When riders cant see after the first bend and throwing their goggles off ala Bridger does that not tell you something.

Lakeside got the points far enough i have no problem with that that's the rules now,but what i do have a problem with is Sky almost insisting they carry on.Of course Middlo is going to whinge he was losing ALL managers and captains are the same,you keep going on about Belle Vue but what about the Swindon meeting earlier in the season,Rosco and Batchelor coudn't get it called off quickly enough because Swindon were winning but the same two had a whinge a couple of weeks before against Coventry wait for it because they were losing.But you never mention that meeting do you,i wonder why,oh hang on i didn't involve Poole

• Like 4

Not read previous posts, so don't know if this has been mentioned, but I feel the match was only planned to get to heat 10 before they'ddecide to blow time. Too easy to get to a tenth race touchdown and call a halt, something Pearson always harps on about reaching.

Thing is though it is now almost considered that a match is 10 heats. If the weather is nice and the riders have nothing better to do for the evening they might just put on an additional 5 bonus races but heat 10 is the holy grail.

It beggars belief in truth that they keep doing it. It cant have escaped the notice of the promoters that hardly anyone goes to watch anymore, and getting less year on year with these kind of situations a major factor and yet they keep on doing it

• Like 3

I think that may be my last speedway meeting. After 40 years of supporting the sport I think tonight may be the last straw. I have no problem with a meeting being called off if the track is unsafe, but tonight's events are an insult to myself, and every other person who paid money to see the meeting.First we pay £3 for a programme that's actually 3 weeks out of date with a racecard insert in it, after queuing because the turnstiles were shut. By the way, no rain off tickets were issued, so if an earlier call off had occured how would we get our reduced admission next time?Then after the unavoidable rainfall, we are asked to stand around for ages whilst track work is done, and they say it's raceable, then have 3 races, with actual passing, only to call off the match with the riders at the tapes for the next heat, just because a result is now declarable. The track was in no worse condition then than it had been for the previous heat. If anything it was improving.As others have said, this is no different to the disgraceful farce at Belle Vue v Poole last year. Add in the ever more diluted standard of the so called Elite League, the ludicrous numbers of guests this season, the apalling facilities at most tracks and a whole host of other factors, and it's no wonder the sport is losing fans in droves.I haven't missed a meeting at Lakeside for many years, and my reward for being a loyal paying supporter is to increasingly have the micky taken out of me by the promotors and powers that be. Bottom line? The paying fans matter not one jot to the people making the decisions. If we're stupid enough to keep paying to be treated like s**t, then the people running speedway are more than happy to keep taking our money.Well not mine, not any more.

I couldn't have put it better myself

And he is right it was a shambles,the meeting should have been called off after the downpour.Because you can bet your life if sky had not been there it would have been.When riders cant see after the first bend and throwing their goggles off ala Bridger does that not tell you something.

Lakeside got the points far enough i have no problem with that that's the rules now,but what i do have a problem with is Sky almost insisting they carry on.Of course Middlo is going to whinge he was losing ALL managers and captains are the same,you keep going on about Belle Vue but what about the Swindon meeting earlier in the season,Rosco and Batchelor coudn't get it called off quickly enough because Swindon were winning but the same two had a whinge a couple of weeks before against Coventry wait for it because they were losing.But you never mention that meeting do you,i wonder why,oh hang on i didn't involve Poole

I tend to agree with that DD

Muddlo doesn't do himself any favours because he has got an unfortunate way of expressing himself most of the time, especially on Twitter but as you say Rosco and Swindon are not exactly squeaky clean either and its difficult to ignore Sky's involvement. They do have a big say in the way the match is run. Even if Muddlo had made no comment at all we would still have had the same situation, with a decision to be taken about a rain-affected track and a lot of money invested in a TV broadcast.

Unfortunately the rain could hardly have come at worse point in the match and there is not much anybody can do about that.

Thing is though it is now almost considered that a match is 10 heats. If the weather is nice and the riders have nothing better to do for the evening they might just put on an additional 5 bonus races but heat 10 is the holy grail.

It beggars belief in truth that they keep doing it. It cant have escaped the notice of the promoters that hardly anyone goes to watch anymore, and getting less year on year with these kind of situations a major factor and yet they keep on doing it

we all keep blaming the promoters (im not 1 for sticking up for them)...... but look at last night riders at the tapes , it LOOKED watts hissy fit at bates and co got it stopped

After all the mickey taking last night, and boy did I enjoy seeing Karma giving Dorset a visit :approve:

A serious question - has Sky's involvement honestly been good for speedway?

Crowds have gone down.

Rules have been changed to suit them.

Too many outside influences affecting decisions.

TV audiences see empty terraces

Former regulars now get their fix from TV (hold my hands up to that one)

Debacles like last night are shown to the world - would you go as a newbie after seeing that on TV.

Just asking.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 3

I tend to agree with that DD

Muddlo doesn't do himself any favours because he has got an unfortunate way of expressing himself most of the time, especially on Twitter but as you say Rosco and Swindon are not exactly squeaky clean either and its difficult to ignore Sky's involvement. They do have a big say in the way the match is run. Even if Muddlo had made no comment at all we would still have had the same situation, with a decision to be taken about a rain-affected track and a lot of money invested in a TV broadcast.

Unfortunately the rain could hardly have come at worse point in the match and there is not much anybody can do about that.

At the end of the day, each individual team is going to try and get themselves a result. The question is how can an individual promotion or management be so influential in getting a meeting called off.

This HAS to be the judgement of the referee and nobody else. It seemed to me that it was purely down to the side that had a vested interest in the score at that time that last night's meeting was called off. Had they run heat 11 and Poole had scored a 5-1 the Lakeside would have lost a point. The riders were there and ready to go.

It looked like it was the decision of Davy Watt to call that match off (probably at the behest of his team manager/promoter). How can that be allowed?

You know what annoys me about last night.............the fact that you guys are going on about Poole setting a precedent at Belle Vue and Lakeside playing Poole at their own game but there is a big difference.............the meeting at Belle Vue last year should never have gone ahead............it only did because Sky and the referee insisted it did.........you could see no one wanted to ride it............

Last night (I was at work til 8 so got in as it was starting to rain there) and the meeting at Coventry the week before goes to show its all what Sky want and stuff the paying public..............

Its time promoters actually took notice of what the fans want rather than just going ahead and running/continuing meetings when as last night proved it was a huge health and safety risk to do so.........

Oh and for the record as the ref was Dan Holt and he has shown he is totally anti Poole on Sky in the past its no wonder it carried on............

RP

I agree with all the posts that criticize last night's farce. What gets my goat is that it is fine for the winning team to want to continue to heat 10 to get the match points but then to refuse to continue even when the conditions are no different and the losing team still has a mathematical chance of getting some reward for being forced to race against their wishes. If it was OK to race heat 10 it should have been OK to continue until the match was either decided or the referee decided enough was enough. Obviously the match should not have proceeded past the downpour but it did because Lakeside wanted it to but having ridden on they should have been compelled to continue to a conclusion. I was also amazed at Neil Middleditch's hypocrisy when considering his stance at Belle Vue last season, the outcome of which we all know got Poole into the play offs and subsequently won them the league title. I was also riled by Davey Watt's stance . He is renouned for not wanting to ride when conditions are difficult but he reluctantly did so but only until Lakeside reached heat 10 more than 6 points in front. Such farces must be prevented in future.

Poole should have said they would continue, and gone out on their own. Bet Lakeside would have been quick to continue then.

At the end of the day, each individual team is going to try and get themselves a result. The question is how can an individual promotion or management be so influential in getting a meeting called off.

This HAS to be the judgement of the referee and nobody else. It seemed to me that it was purely down to the side that had a vested interest in the score at that time that last night's meeting was called off. Had they run heat 11 and Poole had scored a 5-1 the Lakeside would have lost a point. The riders were there and ready to go.

It looked like it was the decision of Davy Watt to call that match off (probably at the behest of his team manager/promoter). How can that be allowed?

Was one individual; or promotion so influential though ? Think it through. Do you really think Sky are going to show their guys putting their spoke in ? They made the mistake last year of the mics picking up Ronnir Russl telling Micky Dyer not to fall off but generally to cameras don't show what Sky are doing.

Poole should have said they would continue, and gone out on their own. Bet Lakeside would have been quick to continue then.

Don't be daft Mick Bates made the decision. Once the decisions made the meeting is off.

This meeting had everything,,,,,,, that is wrong with EL Speedway. No wonder people are leaving the sport in droves.

• Like 3

complete farce should have stopped when rain came on but having restarted could have gone beyond heat 10.

If heat 10 "result stands " is to carry on maybe a difference is needed in points awarded for a heat 10 type win compared to full meeting of 15 heats.

I despair at the top flite speedway in England, it's just being run into the ground.

How many more matches like the last coupleon sky can people suffer, the endless rule manipulation, poor track prep, endless missing riders, foreign imports that come and go as they please , double downers .

What a festering , ulcerous fetid mess uk speedway is