British Speedway Forum
lewy

Plymouth 2015

Barker is expensive and the Devils promotion has already stated that current spending is not sustainable. He interacts well with the fans and is always up front with charitable works.

However (and this is a personal point of view) after the loss of the Brummies his riding deteriorated to the point of desperate. He appeared to completely ignore the needs of his fellow Devils and rode only for himself - and this from a rider who has in the past has provided some of the finest team riding ever likely to be seen at the SBA.

As a Devils supporter and given their current situation I would be uncertain that Barker would actually be an advantage, leaving the Devils vulnerable at the lower reaches of the side - I would prefer a team less top heavy and more balanced throughout. That said, there are plenty that might disagree ...

• Like 1

Why is Ben Barker seemingly unpopular at Plymouth? He is in the top three in the PL averages and hugely popular at Birmingham for his riding and rapport with the fans.

Don't think there is anything against the guy at all. The fans in general still love Barker but in my opinion he's found his level and bringing someone into the team with an average as high as his means the bottom end could suffer.

I'd take Richie Worrall over him every day of the week!

• Like 1

Barker is expensive and the Devils promotion has already stated that current spending is not sustainable. He interacts well with the fans and is always up front with charitable works.

However (and this is a personal point of view) after the loss of the Brummies his riding deteriorated to the point of desperate. He appeared to completely ignore the needs of his fellow Devils and rode only for himself - and this from a rider who has in the past has provided some of the finest team riding ever likely to be seen at the SBA.

As a Devils supporter and given their current situation I would be uncertain that Barker would actually be an advantage, leaving the Devils vulnerable at the lower reaches of the side - I would prefer a team less top heavy and more balanced throughout. That said, there are plenty that might disagree ...

It might be a personal point of view but from what I heard (and saw) at SBA you are far from the only person who has it. Indeed, I'd say that is more or less accepted.

I think whether Barker is retained may swing on the way he rides. At the end of the day, he is still one of the top riders in the PL and with Benko in on a 3.00 average I think he can be fitted in without damaging the balance of the side too much.

If he goes back to the rider from the first couple of seasons I doubt there are many that wouldn't want him in the team.

It might be a personal point of view but from what I heard (and saw) at SBA you are far from the only person who has it. Indeed, I'd say that is more or less accepted.

I think whether Barker is retained may swing on the way he rides. At the end of the day, he is still one of the top riders in the PL and with Benko in on a 3.00 average I think he can be fitted in without damaging the balance of the side too much.

If he goes back to the rider from the first couple of seasons I doubt there are many that wouldn't want him in the team.

Love it when he comes to Somerset. The pantomime villain. Always controversial and good entertainment.

On that basis HT, I'd take him in an instant. He brought an art to team riding that is sadly only too rarely seen nowadays. Heat 15s were always something to be anticipated and frequently savoured when Ben conjured a 5-1 out of next to nothing; breath taking stuff worth the entrance money on its own. Which makes the way he rode towards the latter stages of last season all the more sad in my view.

• Like 1

Barker's team riding was evident in his season at Foxhall too. There were times he would shut off on a bend and virtually stop, to wait for his team mate to catch up and then team ride him home.

• Like 1

On that basis HT, I'd take him in an instant. He brought an art to team riding that is sadly only too rarely seen nowadays. Heat 15s were always something to be anticipated and frequently savoured when Ben conjured a 5-1 out of next to nothing; breath taking stuff worth the entrance money on its own. Which makes the way he rode towards the latter stages of last season all the more sad in my view.

I was never a fan of Ben until he joined Plymouth and i witnessed for myself, week after week, what an amazing team rider he is. Like you say it is not often we witness that in this day and age. The heats with Ricky Wells and Ryan Fisher, in particular spring to mind.

It was evident that Ben was less willing to team ride after the demise of Birmingham. However, i can understand the change in his riding style. With only 1 wage coming in and an extra mouth to feed in his household, he was obviously less inclined to take changes to protect his team mates if it was likely to result in him losing out on points money if they failed to perform accordingly.

Although it was sad to see the change in his riding style, i have to say and said at the S.B.A on many occasions last year that there wasnt any rider in that team capable of team riding. Time after time the Plymouth riders failed to look for their partner and it was often mentioned on the updates site that the Plymouth riders were getting in each others way, so how can we have expected Ben to put his trust in them?

Edited by Former devil
  • Like 1

I was never a fan of Ben until he joined Plymouth and i witnessed for myself, week after week, what an amazing team rider he is. Like you say it is not often we witness that in this day and age. The heats with Ricky Wells and Ryan Fisher, in particular spring to mind.

It was evident that Ben was less willing to team ride after the demise of Birmingham. However, i can understand the change in his riding style. With only 1 wage coming in and an extra mouth to feed in his household, he was obviously less inclined to take changes to protect his team mates if it was likely to result in him losing out on points money if they failed to perform accordingly.

Although it was sad to see the change in his riding style, i have to say and said at the S.B.A on many occasions last year that there wasnt any rider in that team capable of team riding. Time after time the Plymouth riders failed to look for their partner and it was often mentioned on the updates site that the Plymouth riders were getting in each others way, so how can we have expected Ben to put his trust in them?

Great post...couldn't of put it better myself! Not sure Plymouth will learn from their mistakes from previous years as they just can't ever pick a decent PL side! Look up at that pig lol

I feel Ostergaard will be numero uno in 2015

he will be at Peterborough if they run is my guess

I feel Ostergaard will be numero uno in 2015

You could be right but not at Plymouth

Plymouth struggling to put a decent side together

How do you know! Just because they havent announced any signings yet it doesnt mean they are struggling to put a decent side together
  • Like 1