British Speedway Forum
Stats

Australian Gp Is Back

I find it hard to understand why BSI come in for so much flack on here. Don't really see what they've done wrong.

There are two reasons - one their fault, the other not.

The thing that is their fault are their poor organisation/supervision of GPs and then failure to take responsibility when things go wrong.It's appreciated that track preparation isn't an exact science and that you can be unfortunate with the weather, but after 15-odd years of doing it, you'd think you'd have enough experience of what it takes to prepare a track. Yet, in the past years we've seen unnecessary cancellations (one indoors!), another indoor GP nearly cancelled, a GP moved overnight to another venue miles away, and several other very poor GPs at one-off venues.

The reason that isn't their fault, is that revenue from the sport's premier competition does not appear to accrue back to the competitions that produce and develop the riders, despite having the pick of dates and riders. This has been endlessly discussed before though.

It's potentially quite a good development to have an Australian GP, and I can see why October is probably the only realistic date given that the stadium is used for AFL matches in February/March, and then for cricket later in the year. However, it doesn't change the fact that it's going to disrupt the end of the European season.

There are two reasons - one their fault, the other not.

The thing that is their fault are their poor organisation/supervision of GPs and then failure to take responsibility when things go wrong.It's appreciated that track preparation isn't an exact science and that you can be unfortunate with the weather, but after 15-odd years of doing it, you'd think you'd have enough experience of what it takes to prepare a track. Yet, in the past years we've seen unnecessary cancellations (one indoors!), another indoor GP nearly cancelled, a GP moved overnight to another venue miles away, and several other very poor GPs at one-off venues.

The reason that isn't their fault, is that revenue from the sport's premier competition does not appear to accrue back to the competitions that produce and develop the riders, despite having the pick of dates and riders. This has been endlessly discussed before though.

It's potentially quite a good development to have an Australian GP, and I can see why October is probably the only realistic date given that the stadium is used for AFL matches in February/March, and then for cricket later in the year. However, it doesn't change the fact that it's going to disrupt the end of the European season.

Good. Great news!! :D

WHY should it disrupt end of European season? Sweden and Poland will definitely have finished and if the BSPA have any sense they will ensure that British play-offs don't run until the end of October.

WHY should it disrupt end of European season? Sweden and Poland will definitely have finished and if the BSPA have any sense they will ensure that British play-offs don't run until the end of October.

If they did away with the 'Play Offs' the problem would be solved.

• Like 2

There won't be many SGP riders in the Elite League anyway. The one or two who are will be replaced by guest riders, so how would the Aussie GP interrupt the end of the UK speedway season?

• Like 1

Great news and I don't see how it could interfere with the EL. The playoffs should be easily done by middle of October so bikes and equipment will have planty of time to be shipped out even if they do want to use EL machinery.The Gp series needs events outside of Europe for speedway as a whole to grow. Europe can't hog the series especially with Aussies and Greg competing year in year out.

Great news and I don't see how it could interfere with the EL. The playoffs should be easily done by middle of October so bikes and equipment will have planty of time to be shipped out even if they do want to use EL machinery.The Gp series needs events outside of Europe for speedway as a whole to grow. Europe can't hog the series especially with Aussies and Greg competing year in year out.

Strange thing to say when you consider how we're struggling to get through the play-offs this season (and last season too)

Yes I knew it was back at bloody 5 this morning via a text from bruv in Adelaide! Good news should be decent crowd at the home of speedway, he went to the last GP in Sydney, was about 40,000 there, although over 20,000 had free tickets.

The 2015 FIM Speedway World Champion will be crowned Down Under after BSI Speedway, rights holders of the FIM Speedway Grand Prix (SGP) series, signed a five-year deal to stage the Australian FIM Speedway Grand Prix at Melbourne’s state-of-the-art Etihad Stadium.

The largest indoor motor racing spectacle in the Southern Hemisphere sees SGP action return to Australia on October 24, 2015; the first time it has featured Down Under for 13 years.

Tickets go on sale on Friday (10th October) at 9am Melbourne time*, and start at the bargain price of $49 AUD for adults and $24.50AUD for children, giving Aussie fans a fantastic

I wondered why Pearson kept going on an on about it this evening.

It is great that we have a new venue and that the Aussie's get a round of the GP but a part of me feels it is wrong that the season finale will be so far from home for many of the riders, and those loyal fans who travel Europe for the GP season. Unless it is being shared around, and in 2016 the finale will be given to another country other than Aus or Poland.

It is great that we have a new venue and that the Aussie's get a round of the GP but a part of me feels it is wrong that the season finale will be so far from home for many of the riders, and those loyal fans who travel Europe for the GP season.

I think there's no obvious alternative if you want an Australian GP on the calendar.

I'm a little confused as to why, if Australia is repacing New Zealand, the Aus GP is not the season opener. Presumably the etihad is not available early in the year, or is there another reason?.

I'm a little confused as to why, if Australia is repacing New Zealand, the Aus GP is not the season opener. Presumably the etihad is not available early in the year, or is there another reason?.

IT'S not ...

Phil Sweden and Poland will not be definitely finished there are considerations regarding weather though they seem to overcome those far easier than teams in Britain.

Maybe this is the time to have 6 man teams with a reserve who can ride due to in meeting injury with a squad system and get everything done and dusted by mid September.

Phil Sweden and Poland will not be definitely finished there are considerations regarding weather though they seem to overcome those far easier than teams in Britain.

Maybe this is the time to have 6 man teams with a reserve who can ride due to in meeting injury with a squad system and get everything done and dusted by mid September.

Sure we are finished in Sweden by the end of October, the season here finished almost two weeks ago.

Due to the Swedish climate, it is usually cold and rainy (possible even snow in a worst case scenario; see this article: http://www.thelocal.se/20131014/50784)

in the end of October. Very unsuitable for speedway.

The Polish finals were held a week ago so they're also finished by the end of October.

Edited by Ghostwalker

TBF to the White Knight here. While you're right his views are contradictory, so are ours as supporters of a GP series and a play-off system. What it ultimately shows is that we can all see the positives and the negatives in one over over a full season.

While it does rile me a bit that for the 2nd time in 21 years of GP history the Aussies get the final GP while us Brits have yet to have it once despite hosting 21 GPs, most of which have been at Cardiff so been the biggest attended GP of the series each year. I can see that having more GPs further afield is a good thing. To the point that I actually want to go to Aus, so tying it in with a GP would be perfect for me. I just need to find someone who fancies 2 or 3 weeks in Aus next October/November.

GB got the final GP in 1995, Hackney, won by Greg iirc Edited by horneymikh