British Speedway Forum
magnus

Bspa Meeting...

Might it be a good idea to invite a representative from Sky to the BSPA meeting. They seem to have their finger on the pulse of popular opinion. The large 2 minute timer they had at recent televised meetings was a step in the right direction.

I think I know one track that want's a two minute clock for next season. It should add to the atmosphere and drama of the countdown.

I think I know one track who should get their name down for a two minute clock then they might not have so many problems with imaginary curfews. ;)

• Like 6

It always amazes me some of the comments made by promoters in the Speedway Star, they don't like two fast track riders and want just one, they think the two extra matches in the Premier this season should stop as some clubs had a backlog of fixtures at the end of the season, ( why they thought this would not happen based on previous years is beyond me), riders missing from Premier fixtures (Richard Lawson missing 6) because of doubling up etc. It makes you wonder who voted for these things at last years AGM and how can we have any confidence that another mess will not be served up next season.

In this weeks Star Matt Ford rightly says, that Poole and Kings Lynn relying on guests in the Play Offs wasn't good for the public or the viewers watching on Sky Sports, it was a dreadful shame."

He then says he would not like to see team changes later than they are now, as it might be in a teams interest to drop a rider.

Well Matt I think you have missed the obvious solution, you can sign a replacement at any time during the season but only to replace an injured rider.

Promoters are saying they are losing money, it's not possible to reduce riders wages because the cost of equipment has risen to a ridiculous level and nobody is going to go back to basic equipment. The only answer is to get more people through the gates, the only way to do that is to make the entertainment, more attractive, and sensible and fair rules, it's not that difficult to find out what their customers want and don't want, just read the forums. Of course some people will want things that others don't but there are things that most people agree on like ditch the double points tactical in the Play Off final.

Edited by oldtimer

I would like to see the assessed rules adjusted so that they are not reduced where the rider fails to achieve the initial figure.

In last weeks Star, Leicester promoter David Hemsley said supporter interaction is a key factor and he can often be found roaming the terraces on a race night. He said, sometimes people will come up to me and talk to me about things I don't really want to hear about, but everybody has paid their money to come in so everybody has a right to their opinion. That's why I do my best to make myself available.

Perhaps if all promoters took David's attitude and found out what their customers wanted from their evening out some things might actually be changed at the AGM for the better.

Presumably this is the same David Hemsley who flatly refuses to alter the shape and layout of the track despite nearly everyone saying the track is crap.

It's called lip service and Hemsley is as bad at it as most on the BSPA, they all sometimes listen but they don't do anything to change it.

Another cracking letter in the star this week from Len Silver just highlights the problem.

• Like 1

I would like to see the assessed rules adjusted so that they are not reduced where the rider fails to achieve the initial figure.

i think something should be in place that a rider cant come in on a ass7 then drop to reserve and start scoring double figure scores

maybe only drop as low as 5 for there first season

unless of coarse its somerset as 7pt riders start on ass 5 for some strange reason

• Like 1

i think something should be in place that a rider cant come in on a ass7 then drop to reserve and start scoring double figure scores

maybe only drop as low as 5 for there first season

unless of coarse its somerset as 7pt riders start on ass 5 for some strange reason

that could be a good compromise with a collar to any drop. 7 pointer no lower than 5, 5 pointer no lower than 4 perhaps.

Seriously, we are basing the future of the sport on discussions about a friggin two minute clock. Bigger picture people, bigger picture.

And as for the suggestion of a Sky representation there, no chance, it's not their sport.

re that letter...I really do admire Len's enthusiasm and commitment, unfortunately it seems to blind him from what's staring him in the face...less and less fans!

Seriously, we are basing the future of the sport on discussions about a friggin two minute clock. Bigger picture people, bigger picture.

And as for the suggestion of a Sky representation there, no chance, it's not their sport.

Though it does seem like it at times.

Bloody 'Play Offs', 'Double Points' etc.................... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Like 1

Some of us need to just go watch some speedway, four riders racing side by side on 500cc motorbikes with no brakes, 0-60 faster than an F1 car, and forget about the playoffs and double tac rides :-)

• Like 4

I`ve no doubt this time next we will have a statement saying the future of speedway has been sorted and the futures bright, thing is this time next year we will all be posting about the same problems we are now.

Some of us need to just go watch some speedway, four riders racing side by side on 500cc motorbikes with no brakes, 0-60 faster than an F1 car, and forget about the playoffs and double tac rides :-)

Unfortunately there is not enough of your type to keep the sport alive.Others just see it as the Mickey Mouse sport it is becoming and spend their money elsewhere.

re that letter...I really do admire Len's enthusiasm and commitment, unfortunately it seems to blind him from what's staring him in the face...less and less fans!

Think Len got his mate to publish the letter in the Star so as he could get his tuppence worth in by replying.Len done a similar letter last year telling everybody how great the sport still is a were are all just making it up about the shortcomings in the sport

I see there are lots of "GUEST" HOUSES in the area as well!!!!

One of the roads has a huge pothole, I think it's called Wimborne Road.

• Like 1