British Speedway Forum
Double Up

Cradley Heathens

This is, without doubt, a club with amongst the biggest heritage in the whole of the sport. Numerous World Champions emerged from Dudley Wood in the 80's and 90's.

Since it was reborn in 2010 it has finished top of the NL in 4 out of 5 seasons and in the last two won every competition it has entered.

The Heathens have attracted crowds that are the envy of almost every team in the Premier League and many in the Elite League. The supporters travel in numbers to every away meeting and, therefore, the benefit is enjoyed by all. Yet, many former supporters couldn't bring themselves to watch their phoenix team race at Monmore Green because of past rivalries. Similarly, others perceived the 'new' club to be a bit 'Mickey Mouse' competing in the National League.

Speedway in this country is dying. It needs new ideas and new impetus if it is to survive at anything above grass roots level. Good news stories are hard to come by and yet the biggest story in recent years find themselves in a position where they might not be able to race in 2015.

Tony Mole has declared he has shelved plans to resurrect speedway at Perry Barr next season after the Brummies were annulled in July. So within a ten mile radius there is a club without a track and a track without a club. The difference between the two clubs is this, and I mean no offence when making these observations. Cradley have a massive heritage, both on and off the track. The club was hugely successful as a team and launched the careers of numerous world champions. Birmingham, however, never had that history and heritage to fall back on when they were relaunched in 2007 and several promotions have failed to make the Brummies viable at Perry Barr. Can the Brummies ever be viable at Perry Barr?

My question is this:

Although Heathens supporters didn't support NL speedway in the same numbers at Perry Barr in 2010 as they did at Monmore (the difference was probably 100-150) would they embrace the venue as a permanent home? With the search for a permanent home entering its 20th year here is a venue that is crying out for a tenant. I'm not suggesting that the search for a base in the Black country be abandoned but, lets face it, are we any closer to that now than at any time since Oldnall Road? Perry Barr could give the club, and more importantly its supporters, the long term security they crave.

Cradley,as tenants of Perry Barr, might also give the opportunity for the Brummies to ride at a level that they could sustain, i.e. National League. I would assume it unlikely that National League speedway would be viable there without another club riding at the same the same level or higher in order that overheads could be shared.

I'm sure it's not as easy as saying 'let's go and race there' and there must be serious consideration given to the costs involved by those taking the plunge. For me though, it's a no brainer providing the conditions could be met.

Perry Wood? Dudley Barr? Does anyone give a monkey's what home is called as long as we've got one?

Edited by Double Up
  • Like 5

Nice post and sensible Double up. There are only from my viewpoint 2 options, let Perry Barr remain empty, and therefore lose a Track completely and 2 Teams, or Cradley Heathens take on the lease and run NL racing for the first season, but offer The Brummies NL racing at Perry Barr then we still have 2 Teams. The location of Perry Barr is about as far as Monmore is from Dudley Wood.

If the present Cradley Heath promoters dont want to run the risk, then Nigel Pearson said way back, they are only custodians of the Cradley Heath name, so i presume they would offer the Team to somene else who may be prepared to take the Team forward at Perry Barr. Gary Patchett said on Tuesday he would do all that he could to prevent the Cradley Heath Team from folding during his watch.

The various options for 2015.

1. That Cradley run out of Stoke, This has been tried previously to far away to travel reguarly.

2. That we run out of Leicester, again the same problem just to far away to travel for regular home meetings.

3. We attempt to take on the tennancy at Perry Barr assuming this is available, and keep our Team running and possibly The Brummies as well.

4. If No3 fails then i firmly believe that will not be down to a lack of support from fans, but a lack of ambition by others.

I firmly believe that Cradley Heathens will be running in 2015, and with the current management, otherwise they are going to throw away all the hard work of the last 5 years, what league ? well i think now it will likely be NL again for 2015, however if its a success it should lead to us going PL in 2016.

Bring on 2015 lets goooooo Ommering..

• Like 3

I do hope the Heathans make it in 2015. We need to see teams keep thier tracks not lose them, we have lost to many already. And with the historical name that has been in speedway for ever it seems it would be a crying shame to see Cradley lose out again. All because of people demanding to much Lets hope that something comes out of this and that the Perry Bar stadium will see racing again next season, without all the shananigans that the Brummies faced this year.

It would be nice to see both Cradley and Birmingham sharing the stadium. Even if the Brummies have to go down to NL to compete in what has become a costly sport it has now turned out to be in the higher leagues. It is time to somehow cut the cost and bring speedway back to what it used to be a sport run for amatuer riders who came to mettings to enjoy thier racing at a cost that they could easliy afford and also at a cost that the promoters could live with without going under.

Best of Luck to both teams for 2015.

• Like 2

Although I reckon most heathens fans have had enough of nl I reckon if it was nl at perry Barr next year we would turn out in massive numbers to prove we could call it home and give someone the confidence to go pl in 2016.it's not perfect by any means but after 20years of searching for our own track I just can't see it happening.also us being at perry Barr just might get the brummies back in some form for 2016.it's either 2 teams may get the chance to carry on or 2 teams die and never to return! No brainer really

Edited by bruno
  • Like 1

i know it might seem trivial but i think its important. What would a Cradley team operating out of Perry Barr be called,

If its called Cradley/ Dudley would sufficient people travel from that area (I'm not too sure how far it is)

presumably only a few Brummies diehards would attend. I don't know what does anyone think

As a lifelong Birmingham supporter (63 years), I would welcome a track share with Cradley Heath and although there are a certain amount of misgivings in both camps, I think the majority of fans would support this rather than lose one or both of our clubs.

My view is that for both clubs to operate from the same stadium, they would both have to be in the National League which is the only competition which would allow sufficient dates to accomodate both, but if the Brummies can't come to the tapes then I accept that Cradley Heath could only be called Cradley Heath - a hybrid name wouldn't work.

I think that the majority of Heathens fans would give their support and probably a lot more Birmingham supporters that may be imagined, would do the same. Cradley have been very well supported during their time at Monmore so if we add to their number, a good percentage of Brummies people, then the combined attendances would be very impressive and profitable, and the long term objective of Cradley relocating at a stadium of their own in the Dudley Borough, and the Brummies back home at Perry Barr, can still be persued.

• Like 2

i know it might seem trivial but i think its important. What would a Cradley team operating out of Perry Barr be called,

If its called Cradley/ Dudley would sufficient people travel from that area (I'm not too sure how far it is)

presumably only a few Brummies diehards would attend. I don't know what does anyone think

I know that Cradley Heathens & Birmingham Brummies (both in the NL) would suit the purists in Brum & The Black Country BUT I would go with a fresh start with both the normal, historic team colours and call them Perry Bar Heathens & Perry Bar Brummies.

No axe to grind, been a Heathens/Speedway fan since 1960...well 1959, just two teams surviving to race on instead of going into hibernation or becoming extinct all over a name!

I also agree with BBuck....call them what ever as long as Cradley or Birmingham survive!!!!!!

As for Cradley ever 'going home'....not in my life time in Dudley, the Council have destroyed virtually all sport in the Borough over the last 25 years and there is no sign of any change today or in the future!

As a Cradley fan, the club needs to come out and point out an end date for the search for a track!

We have never had a time limit and it infuriates me that its all us Cradley fans hope for but we know absolutly nothing about! They say they are working hard behind the scenes but how hard is hard...I know its difficult, but I am greatly intrested in what goes on on the track and off it!

Premier League at Perry Barr as The Cradley Heathens with a MDL of the Birmingham Brummies would be the ideal scenario!

• Like 1

As a Cradley fan, the club needs to come out and point out an end date for the search for a track!

We have never had a time limit and it infuriates me that its all us Cradley fans hope for but we know absolutly nothing about! They say they are working hard behind the scenes but how hard is hard...I know its difficult, but I am greatly intrested in what goes on on the track and off it!

Premier League at Perry Barr as The Cradley Heathens with a MDL of the Birmingham Brummies would be the ideal scenario!

The time limit you ask for got me going at St Austell at a Club CH Challenge match when I first said 'Not In My Life Time' comment! Football, Cricket, Speedway, Swimming and so on have all been destroyed by Dudley Council in the last 25 years.......what hope for the future in Dudley Borough...NIL!

I really believe in what Nigel has done/built/resurrected over the last 5 NL Seasons and would not have missed this version of the Heathens for anything may I add. I hope that he does move us lock stock and barrel to Perry Bar and helps keeps the Brummies name going as well if posible. Big ask tho'.

I don't think that the Planning Permission would allow two matches in one night as the max number of Heats allowed is 21 any night and knowing our luck...an early time curfew! Also, would it be fair on the Brummies to drop them from the EL to what is all but in name the 4th Tier?

Still would like to cheer on the NL Heathens & NL Brummies in 2015.

What about Cradley BARRbarians keeps the Cradley name with a link to the area the track is in and I suppose Heathens and Barbarians are similar

I know that Cradley Heathens & Birmingham Brummies (both in the NL) would suit the purists in Brum & The Black Country BUT I would go with a fresh start with both the normal, historic team colours and call them Perry Bar Heathens & Perry Bar Brummies.

No axe to grind, been a Heathens/Speedway fan since 1960...well 1959, just two teams surviving to race on instead of going into hibernation or becoming extinct all over a name!

I also agree with BBuck....call them what ever as long as Cradley or Birmingham survive!!!!!!

As for Cradley ever 'going home'....not in my life time in Dudley, the Council have destroyed virtually all sport in the Borough over the last 25 years and there is no sign of any change today or in the future!

And of course the Pugh's, as far as speedway was concerned!

• Like 1

Absolute no brainer - Cradley running out of Perry Bar in 2015!

This is in order to keep speedway going at Perry Bar and for the ultra successful and well supported Cradley team to keep going. This will also have possible long term postiives cause Cradley may find a new home of their own while Birmingham eventually revert to the sole team at Perry Bar!

Either 2 options for Cradley running out of Perry Bar -

Cradley in the PL with Birmingham running in the Midland development League.

Or both clubs running in the NL.

I think the former option would be the better one because Cradley have outgrown the National League and with rider numbers at that level very stretched as it is, running two NL teams at one venue may result in the quality of the 2 teams being very watered down which wouldn't help to attract viable crowds.

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

I don't think that you can seriously have two teams running at the same track and in the same league.

You would effectively give both teams an extra meeting on their home track.

Bear in mind that with the truncated Elite League programme, there are likely to be quite a few blank Monday dates at Monmore so with a bit of give and take it ought to be possible for Cradley to split their home matches between Wolverhampton and Perry Barr.

Not the ideal solution I know, but it would enable both clubs to run in the National League without any conflict over who gets priority over dates.

It is crucial that if this is possible, we should work together over this.

• Like 3