British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

I do wonder if the starting gate hadn't failed, would the meeting have been stopped?

Double edged sword though.Guess this will be a very short practice,because how many times has the practice mucked up the track?If they have managed to get it into shape I just hope this won't put them back to square one again

ONE thing that hasn't been given much of an airing is the effect that Saturday morning practice had on the track. It was quite understandable that the FIM, PZM and BSI, let alone the riders, wanted to test the track, much of which had been relaid overnight from Friday.

However, a full session even though riders now have four runs of two minutes instead of six at one and a half, is the equivalent of 24 heats. To the best of my knowledge there were few complaints about the track then which begs the question had there been no practice would the meeting have been completed without any track issues?

It hasn't been given much of an airing Phil,but I have aired it about 3 times at least on this thread,though up until now you are the only other person to bring it up.Well done.But like I mentioned right at the early stage...........lessons just haven't been learnt!!!!! And of course I mentioned that the one or at least one of the riders who didn't bother with the training actually won the meeting,if it has to be called that

• Like 1

If ever you need proof that lessons are NOT learned in the GP series, you just need to look at the start gate problems.

A few seasons ago there were issues with the start gate and for the next few rounds they had someone watching to ensure the tapes rose evenly...but that was forgotten about after a few rounds of perfect tapes and so the next time there is a problem we are faced with the complete farce we saw on Saturday night. A race being declared a result despite the fact that there were clearly problems with the gate was a complete and utter joke.

However, that pales into insignificance to some of the other comedy events that Phil seems to be telling us....

The referee didn't want to exclude a rider but allowed a race to start without him?? PMSL!!!

No-one considered that it might be a bit loud in the stadium with 53,000 fans in there??? PMSL!!!

• Like 2

I know you cannot resist pointing the finger at a 'professional organising company' but there are some aspects of staging a SGP that are ultimately the responsibility of the FIM although, as previously stated, no one could really have envisaged how tough it was until the event got underway.

I'd love to live in your world where everyone gets everything right all the time.

I'm not running an allegedly professional speedway show in my world. That a GP is relying on a public PA to relay information to the pits with seemingly no obvious other reliable method of communication is astonishing, as is the admission that the referee didn't exclude a rider but didn't fix that mistake. On the issue of the red lights failing (or not), there is again a well documented procedure for what happens in this event.

However in my world since you asked, I've been co-promoting a small motor sports series for 10 years, and guess what, we've run into many similar problems (well apart from having big crowds LOL). Probably some new problem occurs every year that we haven't encountered before, but we have good communications, a chain of command, and defined contingency plans for when things do happen, and this is at a totally amateur level with a budget of a few thousand, not millions. I don't pretend it's anything on the scale of running the SGP, but I do have some grasp of how to organise an event.

Okay, complexity increases when you start involving a lot more officials and then throw big crowds into the mix as well, but BSI have been doing this for *15* years now and they're still not getting it right. The track problems are almost forgiveable given what is for sure a huge and difficult logistical task, but piss poor communication and dodgy trackside equipment is not. It's been reported on here that one of the starting gate stanchions didn't look aligned, yet seemingly this was not picked up in all the alleged testing?

Blaming the FIM is also comical. How an event is organised and equipped on the day is entirely the responsibility of the staging promoter - down to providing adequate means of communication for officials.

Sadly, whilst we appreciate your input on here, I really think someone in your position should be far more publicly questioning about the whole set-up.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 6

I'm not running an allegedly professional speedway show in my world. That a GP is relying on a public PA to relay information to the pits with seemingly no obvious other reliable method of communication is astonishing, as is the admission that the referee didn't exclude a rider but didn't fix that mistake. On the issue of the red lights failing (or not), there is again a well documented procedure for what happens in this event.

IT'S not a public PA but one specially installed in the pits and essential in places like Cardiff where some riders are a long way from the track and like to be reminded when their next heat (or practice session on a Friday) is coming up. It is also used to call riders to the scoreboard for the semi final and final draws, to countdown the time they need to be ready for the parade, informed when grading breaks are coming to an end, and so on. Why is is it unprofessional?

Edited by PHILIPRISING

IT'S not a public PA but one specially installed in the pits and essential in places like Cardiff where some riders are a long way from the track and like to be reminded when their next heat (or practice session on a Friday) is coming up. It is also used to call riders to the scoreboard for the semi final and final draws, to countdown the time they need to be ready for the parade, informed when grading breaks are coming to an end, and so on. Why is is it unprofessional?

Did I say having a PA in the pits was unprofessional? However, there's a lot of noise in the pits (from bikes being revved), noise in the stadium, and potentially the connection may break even assuming there's any direct connection to the referee's box in the first place (as presumably most information that needs to be provided is primarily related to the running order and could be related by someone in the pits such as the CoC).

What about screens in the pits relaying race control information as a visual backup, text based communicators to key officials in event of audio/visual problems, or for the worst case scenario, a designated runner on standby to shuttle messages to/from the pits? It's really not rocket science.

• Like 2

We used exactly that method at Junior Grass Tracks back in the 1970s.

It did work quite well then, in that situation.

I am not sure if Bernie Ecclestone uses this method in F1.

Clearly you and BSI are unaware of any advancements made in technology.

Or, do not feel they may be of use in 2015.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Noise wouldn't affect semaphore

Many a true word id spoken in jest. In industrial situations, in the construction industry's hand signals are still used to this day especially where there is a noisy environment. I know I am speaking with hindsight but maybe some of the communication difficulties for example between the referee and officials could have been resolved if there was some basic visual system as a back up. Sounds silly I know but if hand signals are an approved safety system for manouvring heavy loads, reversing large vehicles and shunting trains they should be adequate to ensble to ref to tell track officials whether a rider is excluded.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Many a true word id spoken in jest. In industrial situations, in the construction industry's hand signals are still used to this day especially where there is a noisy environment. I know I am speaking with hindsight but maybe some of the communication difficulties for example between the referee and officials could have been resolved if there was some basic visual system as a back up. Sounds silly I know but if hand signals are an approved safety system for manouvring heavy loads, reversing large vehicles and shunting trains they should be adequate to ensble to ref to tell track officials whether a rider is excluded.

Just a thought.

Who said I was jesting? Didn't necessarily mean formal semaphore but coloured lollipops on sticks were used for years in speedway and as say hand signals are widely used, even to landing planes/helicopters on ships

• Like 2

When a race is stopped by the referee we use red lights and flags. I'm amazed they don't just get the referee to scream "stop" at the top of his voice in a GP though :D

NEVER been a problem before and the two-way radios used are about as modern as you can get. Even the telephone link between the pits and the referee's box was tough for either party to hear. Easy for people not there to comment but I have never known the ambient noise in the stadium to have such an effect on communications, especially as the referee's box was in the open. Just one of many things that on the night failed to work perfectly.

I know you cannot resist pointing the finger at a 'professional organising company' but there are some aspects of staging a SGP that are ultimately the responsibility of the FIM although, as previously stated, no one could really have envisaged how tough it was until the event got underway.

I'd love to live in your world where everyone gets everything right all the time.

Nothing in my World is 100% right 100% of the time.

It is though, most of the time. Mainly because I try to organize things so that they do go the way I want them to. If I muck up - which I do on occasions - I put it right and I don't make the same mistake again.

Would that the same could be said about the Warsaw GP.

I have said all along that BSI were not good for Speedway in general, and as far as I am concerned Warsaw proved me right. :sad: :sad: :sad:

It is though, most of the time. Mainly because I try to organize things so that they do go the way I want them to. If I muck up - which I do on occasions - I put it right and I don't make the same mistake again.

Unless it's putting up fake info from Right wing websites of course :P

Unless it's putting up fake info from Right wing websites of course :P

Aaahhhh orion dear boy. :)

I forgot - you never make a mistake do you? :rofl: :rofl:

Nice try though. :t: