British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Thank You Speedway Star

The Speedway Star comes under almost weekly abuse on here , but this week it excelled itself . I cut my speedway supporting teeth at a very young age at Glasgow's White City stadium , and my love of the sport co-incided by the emergence of Jimmy McMillan as a force in the sport .

I loved watching Jimmy , his gating was iffy and that made him the exciting rider he became .

This week the Star done a big article on Jimmy's life and career . A wonderfully written and entertaining piece and a fitting tribute to a Scottish speedway legend .

Thank you Speedway Star , I really enjoyed reading it and the memories it brought back .

• Like 8

The Speedway Star comes under almost weekly abuse on here , but this week it excelled itself . I cut my speedway supporting teeth at a very young age at Glasgow's White City stadium , and my love of the sport co-incided by the emergence of Jimmy McMillan as a force in the sport .

I loved watching Jimmy , his gating was iffy and that made him the exciting rider he became .

This week the Star done a big article on Jimmy's life and career . A wonderfully written and entertaining piece and a fitting tribute to a Scottish speedway legend .

Thank you Speedway Star , I really enjoyed reading it and the memories it brought bac

Had the pleasure of watching Jimmy Mac a few times down here when i was a nipper , always good value and a gutsy bloke. Good ole fashioned rider who enjoyed his racing.

• Like 2

Had the pleasure of watching Jimmy Mac a few times down here when i was a nipper , always good value and a gutsy bloke. Good ole fashioned rider who enjoyed his racing.

Fully endorse that - he's a real gentleman too.

• Like 1

Fully endorse that - he's a real gentleman too.

Agree.Saw him a number of times during his racing career and then a few years ago had the pleasure of talking to him at Inzell,when he was there for the Ice Speedway.A few years after that i got to meet Reg Wilson.Two old school riders and both very friendly and happy to talk about the old days and also take a big interest in the sport now

• Like 1

The Speedway Star comes under almost weekly abuse on here , but this week it excelled itself . I cut my speedway supporting teeth at a very young age at Glasgow's White City stadium , and my love of the sport co-incided by the emergence of Jimmy McMillan as a force in the sport .I loved watching Jimmy , his gating was iffy and that made him the exciting rider he became .This week the Star done a big article on Jimmy's life and career . A wonderfully written and entertaining piece and a fitting tribute to a Scottish speedway legend .Thank you Speedway Star , I really enjoyed reading it and the memories it brought back .

What an underrated rider he was, when Briggs was at his best Jim was one of a few who could give him a race at the abbey.I really enjoyed watching Jim a terrific rider old school but he was a gentlemen and he was still a force when he dropped down into the NL.These articles are a brilliant read, and its great that Jim still loves his speedway a true Legend for me.

Am I the odd one... who actually would cancel my Speedway Star during the season and re-order in the winter months? Only kidding of course, but I love the old stuff, track reviews and stats. Apart from the scores during the season, the winter ones are my faves at the moment.

• Like 3

This week's issue and the Larry Ross one a couple of weeks ago have both been excellent reads.

Jimmy Mac was one of my favourite "other" riders when I grew up following the Heathens and we didn't miss "our Bernie" quite so much if Jimmy was guesting. Can remember feeling quite upset when he committed the ultimate sin of signing for the dreaded Wolves.

• Like 3

It's still worth a read and I think the shift towards Backtrack-style interviews in the Winter has been wise. Really enjoyed the Larry Ross piece. But I thought the White City piece relied a little too much on Wikipedia for much of its content.

I also very much enjoyed the article very much and was also a Jimmy Mac fan from mid-1974 til the end of 1975. He was my first speedway hero and I was saddened when he (and Tommy Johansson) were moved on by Rider Control (shudder) and at Hull we thought were getting then World Champion Ole Olsen. I recall Jimmy didn't always make the gate but he battled in each and every race and regularly took the fight to visiting no.1's; Collins, Olsen, Louis, Mauger, Simmons, etc and made sure they didn't get an easy race. At the time I didn't much like the (none more) black leathers he wore in 1975 but looking back they were pretty cool and 'worked' with the dark blue and white Hull Vikings bib. A very good rider, nice guy and very clever too vis a vis his FIM technical role. Good to read of another ex-Viking Robert Nagy too. Looking forard to reading the forthcoming Joe Screen (another ex-Viking) & Kelvin Tatum pieces...

• Like 1

Am I the odd one... who actually would cancel my Speedway Star during the season and re-order in the winter months? Only kidding of course, but I love the old stuff, track reviews and stats. Apart from the scores during the season, the winter ones are my faves at the moment.

i've done that for the past three years!!

I have always maintained the Star is still great value, i still prefer the winter months editions though.I actually think producing a weekly edition is harder now as most of the news the fans already know.Phil i believe takes in what the supporters say and want so the Star will keep on going for another Fourty years plus i hope so anyway.I still would prefer the old style one picture on the front though,just a little gripe there i look forward to the Kelvin/Joe articles.

JOE Screen and Kelvin Tatum features in the pipeline

Steady on Philip, I thought you were trying to increase circulation??!!!!!! :D:t: