British Speedway Forum
Mariusz Dubi

Fundin, Briggs, Moore, Craven

In an almost season opener at Plough Lane Wimbledon in 1956 there was a Best Pairs Competition that included five world Champions.They wereRonnie Moore (13 pts), Peter Craven (7), Tommy Price(2), Ove Fundin(12), and Barry Briggs(9). Brian Crutcher joint top scored with Ronnie Moore on thirteen points

Has there ever been a meeting with five world champions in it?

I remember the original post-war 'Golden Helmet' match races when the one-and-only Jack Parker dominated the competition. I recall many of his clashes against the stars of the late 1940s early 1950s but won't recount recollections on here in case I upset fellow posters.! :icon_smile_clown:

In an almost season opener at Plough Lane Wimbledon in 1956 there was a Best Pairs Competition that included five world Champions.They wereRonnie Moore (13 pts), Peter Craven (7), Tommy Price(2), Ove Fundin(12), and Barry Briggs(9). Brian Crutcher joint top scored with Ronnie Moore on thirteen points

Do you mean apart from the meeting you mentioned or is the almost in the wrong place and you mean there was almost 5 world champions in the meeting? Seeing as Briggo + Fundin hadn't won the title at the time?

1981 we had Penhall,Gundersen,Nielsen,Lee,Olsen and Mauger or in the world final swap Ivan for Egon

Edited by iris123

I remember the original post-war 'Golden Helmet' match races when the one-and-only Jack Parker dominated the competition. I recall many of his clashes against the stars of the late 1940s early 1950s but won't recount recollections on here in case I upset fellow posters.! :icon_smile_clown:

Why, were Chris Harris or Darcy Ward involved in any of them?

• Like 1

Do you mean apart from the meeting you mentioned or is the almost in the wrong place and you mean there was almost 5 world champions in the meeting? Seeing as Briggo + Fundin hadn't won the title at the time?

1981 we had Penhall,Gundersen,Nielsen,Lee,Olsen and Mauger or in the world final swap Ivan for Egon

When I said an almost season opener , I meant it was the second meeting of the season.

Where did I say current world champions?

Edited by mickthemuppet

If, as you have done, you're including World Champions to be as well, the Internationale Final 1961 had six world champions riding, five of whom had already won the World Championship. Jack Young, Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven, Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs plus Bjorn Knutson.

The Tom Farndon Memorial Trophy at New Cross in 1961 contained Jack Young, Ronnie Moore, Bjorn Knutson, Barry Briggs and Peter Craven.

I expect, in answer to your question, it has happened reasonably frequently.

Edited by norbold

The 1980 Longtrack world final included

Maier(LT world champ)

Müller

Mauger

Olsen

Collins

Lee

Spinka(Ice world champ)

Michanek

Penhall

Wiesböck(LT wc) was disq

When I said an almost season opener , I meant it was the second meeting of the season.

Where did I say current world champions?

Well obviously only one was a current world champ,so i wasn't even suggesting that :rofl:

2013 gp series included hancock pedersen woffinden holder and gollob. So 5 wprld champs in at least a dozen meetings that season alone. If youre including futurre world champs, then ward makes it six ;)

But must be common.

87 world finsl with gundersen nielsen jonsson jan o and ermolenko for example.

80 blrc I think had lee mauger olsen collins penhall nielsen - the inter continental final that year had all of them definitely.

Why, were Chris Harris or Darcy Ward involved in any of them?

Nice subtle comment Norman. I get what point you are making - I think many others on the BSF will be baffled. :approve:

Edited by Guest

I for one would be interested to hear more about these, I doubt anyone folliowng this thread would have any objection yo the topic diverging
  • Like 1

Count me as one of the forumlanders that didn't get Norbold's comment re Chris Harris and Darcy Ward. Who they??

Count me as one of the forumlanders that didn't get Norbold's comment re Chris Harris and Darcy Ward. Who they??

Me too.

Puzzled.

Sunderland.

Does anyone have statistics of direct duels between Peter Craven, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and Ove Fundin? In the 1950s. and 60s, when Golden Helmet was very popular, they 4 WOLRD CHAMPIONS were very dominant und they met each others very often. Such a results would be very interesting...

Going back to the very early world championships, the Americans Jack and Cordy Milne and Wilbur Lamoreaux look to have been useful world championship contenders. Cordy also headed the qualifiers for the 1939 World Championship which was not held because of the outbreak of World War Two.

::::

1937:

Jack Milne

Wilbur Lamoreaux

Cordy Milne

1938:

Bluey Wilkinson (Australia)

Jack Milne

Wilbur Lamoreaux

Edited by Guest

I for one would be interested to hear more about these, I doubt anyone folliowng this thread would have any objection yo the topic diverging

Sorry, no memories. I wouldn't like waiheaces1 to turn my comments into another "Barry Butterworth scenario"! :lol:

Heat 6 of the 1962 World Final at Wembley had a race with four world champions in it. Beat that! Briggs, Craven, Knutsson and Fundin finished in that order. It was Craven's only defeat of the evening and he went on to win the title.