British Speedway Forum
Mariusz Dubi

Fundin, Briggs, Moore, Craven

Heat 6 of the 1962 World Final at Wembley had a race with four world champions in it. Beat that! Briggs, Craven, Knutsson and Fundin finished in that order. It was Craven's only defeat of the evening and he went on to win the title.

And people wonder why this old-timer prefers the World Final to GP.

• Like 1

Sorry, no memories. I wouldn't like waiheaces1 to turn my comments into another "Barry Butterworth scenario"! :lol:

Let me down gently,if you have to let me down at all!!!! How did i know that would be your answer :icon_smile_clown:

Heat 6 of the 1962 World Final at Wembley had a race with four world champions in it. Beat that! Briggs, Craven, Knutsson and Fundin finished in that order. It was Craven's only defeat of the evening and he went on to win the title.

Quite possible in the Longtrack final(6 riders in a heat,i think) i mentioned earlier that 4,5 or even 6 world champs raced against each other in a heat.Don't have the details to check though

I think the name of Bjorn Knutsson should be added to that list. Back in the 60's they were known as the "Big 5" and in a class of their own.

I would also add Brian Crutcher at least the equal of all of them on his day

I woz there folks when Knutsson finally won in 1965, reckon if he'd kept going could have won it again. Were any other forumlanders there at Wembley in 1965-or am I the last survivor!!

There must be plenty of us still around Bob, we're still youngsters really - trapped in older bodies. lol

Yes that was a good night when Knutsson won. Shame Plechanov could not have done the same.

For him, and Boris Samarodov, to come to Wembly and do what they did was remarkable really.

I have no doubt if there had been the GP season then, like now, one of them, at least, would have ended up world champ.

Sorry, no memories. I wouldn't like waiheaces1 to turn my comments into another "Barry Butterworth scenario"! :lol:

that's a shame as when you post about old time speedway, which unlike most of the bsf you got to witness first hand, you could bring a lot of value to the forum.

unlike on threads like the barry butterworth one where you seem simply to be on a wind up.

• Like 1

I was there in 1965, BOBBATH, and supporting our former captain. Yay!

Edited by norbold

I was there...oh joy!.

• Like 1

I woz there folks when Knutsson finally won in 1965, reckon if he'd kept going could have won it again. Were any other forumlanders there at Wembley in 1965-or am I the last survivor!!

Yes I was there and a few before that

There must be plenty of us still around Bob, we're still youngsters really - trapped in older bodies. lol

Yes that was a good night when Knutsson won. Shame Plechanov could not have done the same.

For him, and Boris Samarodov, to come to Wembly and do what they did was remarkable really.

I have no doubt if there had been the GP season then, like now, one of them, at least, would have ended up world champ.

Plechanov certainly.

I certainly saw World Finals at Wembley before 1965. :approve:

Not sure of the order but I saw Cravens and Ronnie Moores firsts