British Speedway Forum
Mariusz Dubi

Fundin, Briggs, Moore, Craven

Yes they were all the people with the wooden rattles-as per football matches then(what happened to them all-the rattles that is not the forumlanders!!)

I don't know what happened to mine - I think I broke it. Goodness - I hadn't thought about that for years.

Only used at Football Matches though.

Whiteknight-glad the rattles brought back a memory for you,someone mentioned that these rattles were relics of WW2 -used by air raid wardens- anyone know if that is true. They were definitely a feature of all football match crowds, but I thought I recalled them being used by speedway fans also. Can anybody shed further light on this rattling good mystery(sorry folks)!!!

• Like 1

Whiteknight-glad the rattles brought back a memory for you,someone mentioned that these rattles were relics of WW2 -used by air raid wardens- anyone know if that is true. They were definitely a feature of all football match crowds, but I thought I recalled them being used by speedway fans also. Can anybody shed further light on this rattling good mystery(sorry folks)!!!

Rattles were also widely used by speedway supporters in the immediate post-war seasons.

I had a wooden rattle that I took to the speedway each week in the 80s

My memory is playing serious tricks on me. I was sure I had been to all the Wembley World Finals in the 60's/70's. But I know I never saw Peter Craven ride so I could not have been at Wembley in 62 or 63. Therefore my first WF was in 65.

Funny how the memory plays tricks.

I know , my youngest has always been a big def leppard fan. despite telling him this past 20 years they were one group I never got round to seeing I discovered a couple of months ago I was at donnington one year when they were there, I have no memory whatsoever of seeing them. does it get even worse after 53!!!

I know , my youngest has always been a big def leppard fan. despite telling him this past 20 years they were one group I never got round to seeing I discovered a couple of months ago I was at donnington one year when they were there, I have no memory whatsoever of seeing them. does it get even worse after 53!!!

YES.

• Like 1

DEFINITELY.

Edited by The White Knight

My father was very peripherally involved with Wembley Speedway and Ice Hockey mainly due to his friendship with Tot & Bill Williams who lived in Scarle Road Wembley. I know Sonny Rost was their lodger and their son was mechanic to Wally Kilminster. A long lost photograph we had shows my father in full leathers etc astride Wallys bike. I know that he went to many Wembley events using a Speedway Riders pass.

He took me to many world finals but I cant remember either of Jack Youngs or Freddie Williams victories. The first I can recall and not sure in what order were Peter Craven and Ronnie Moore

Oh yes!

Errrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmm - what was the question again? :blink:

• Like 1

I had a wooden rattle that I took to the speedway each week in the 80s

I was still using one in the early 70's!

That's a rattling good answer!!!-guess 'elf and safety would ban 'em now.

That's a rattling good answer!!!-guess 'elf and safety would ban 'em now.

Your probably right BOBBATH - you could accidentally hit someone you know. There are that many Crowds at Speedway. (I wish).

Now bloody 'Air Horns'.............................................................................

They are a H&S issue - especially if used by someone standing near me. An 'Airhorn' up the rear end occasionally offends. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by The White Knight