British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Bspa Meeting With Ukv&i?

What a cracking post by Alex Davies makes it very clear now, avoids all the rumour mungering. All that's needed now is the powers that be need to pull there fingers out to get these workshops laid on and attended ASAP so that the paperwork can be processed.

• Like 1

So I guess my OP has now been answered with what sounds like the latest (of several) meetings with the UKV& I having taken place yesterday!!

Now awaiting revised fixture lists, points limits, team announcements(?) and doubleing-up rules. :shock:

Official BSPA statement on the 'ongoing visa situation' expected in due course.

Edited by Skidder1

So I guess my OP has now been answered with what sounds like the latest (of several) meetings with the UKV& I having taken place yesterday!!

Now awaiting revised fixture lists, points limits, team announcements(?) and doubleing-up rules. :shock:

Official BSPA statement on the 'ongoing visa situation' expected in due course.

Will that be before or after the BSPA have been on a course to learn how to put together a readable, clear, statement.

• Like 2

Will that be before or after the BSPA have been on a course to learn how to put together a readable, clear, statement.

...which will hopefully agree with what the UKV&I have instructed them!!! :wink:

• Like 1

Here's something substantial;

http://scunthorpescorpions.co/?p=2383

Thats interesting and informative reading. Seems as though things can get sorted before the start of the season if the bspa can get their backsides in gear! Hopefully these 'workshops' can be sorted asap, as the young aussies make up a great portion of our riders here. Whether you like them or not, we need these guys in our leagues to keep it running and viable.

The Elite & Premier league will be alot worse of without the likes of ward/fricke/kurtz's etc not here!

Worryingly, will only lessen the product even more to the viewing public......

• Like 1

So the issue is quite clearly with the individual clubs concerned (as the employer). Anyone who has a nanoseconds of knowledge on visa rule would know that. Seems like some have been getting it a bit wrong doesn't it? Otherwise they'd be hauling them all in!

Any way its been good to read some of the posts where the logic basically boils down to "they are like us; so they should be allowed in"; bad news is that we all originate from Africa so everyone around the world is "like us"; unpalatable for the bigots I know :)

• Like 2

From the new statements there now seems absolutely no reason why this cant be resolved quite quickly and with little if any disruption to team line ups as currently announced.

Why would Heeps require a visa at all? He was introduced at Mildenhall in the NL and it was insisted at the time that he needed no visa and was "British" so eligible for NL teams. If he needs a visa now, why didn't he then and was he ever eligible for NL?

The answer is, of course, that he wasn't.

He got in as a result of a crooked deal between the BSPA and a number of teams.

While some might argue that speedway (or perhaps more accurately, the BSPA) have reaped what they have sown I think that the UK V&I are being unreasonable in taking this action at this point.

Would it have been so unthinkable as to insist that they all attend courses in October ?

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

From the new statements there now seems absolutely no reason why this cant be resolved quite quickly and with little if any disruption to team line ups as currently announced.

unfortunately a government agency is involved and nothing ever get resolved quickly when bureaucracy is involved. Sadly i can see lots of red tape to be cleared.

http://www.swindonlinksport.com/2015/01/22/batchelor-hit-by-visa-issues-but-bspa-hopeful-of-resolution/

What a cracking post by Alex Davies makes it very clear now, avoids all the rumour mungering. All that's needed now is the powers that be need to pull there fingers out to get these workshops laid on and attended ASAP so that the paperwork can be processed.

Agree
  • Like 1

unfortunately a government agency is involved and nothing ever get resolved quickly when bureaucracy is involved. Sadly i can see lots of red tape to be cleared. http://www.swindonlinksport.com/2015/01/22/batchelor-hit-by-visa-issues-but-bspa-hopeful-of-resolution/

The danger is that the first available workshop will be in August in a disused lavatory behind a sign saying "beware of the leopard"

This may be a new problem for Australians, but it's not so new for speedway.

In the past it was always Swedes and Americans that had problems.

I remember Jimmy Nilsen and Per Jonsson had a hell of a job getting work permits despite being two genuine World class prospects. It had to be proved that they were capabpe of getting a 6 point average before they were alowed and Swindon had to get the local MP involved in the end.

Then there was Americans, who also needed a 6 point average. Shawn McConnell failed to get a work permit after failing to reach that figure, and by all accounts Rick miller only managed to achieve it after a little help from Shawn nd Kelly Moran in his final match aganst Sheffield.

It used to be difficult for not EU (or EEC or whatever it was then) riders to get work permits, but that all seemed to fall by the wayside in the 90s. (Possibly in line with Tony Blair's "open door" immigration that everyone complains about now)

The danger is that the first available workshop will be in August in a disused lavatory behind a sign saying "beware of the leopard"

Isn't that on the back straight at Blunsdon?

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1