British Speedway Forum
customhouseregular

Your First Taste Of Speedway

When and where did you first see Speedway?.

For me this was 1960 at Rye House. However, my mother was attending meetings whilst pregnant with me. So, if you count attending a meeting as am embryo, put me down as West Ham 1947.

• Like 1

I was four, early 1979, Exeter, and dispite it being the loudest thing I had ever heard, I fell asleep in my fathers arms after about heat 10

I still remember it vividly, didn't go again until the following season when i became a real fan, and would cut out all the reports in the local paper the express and echo and put them in a scrapbook

Happy Days

First Meeting:

Sunderland

19 years of age.

I was hooked after that - then they closed it down after only nine, NINE Meetings..

THE B*STARDS!!!!

Am I bitter - too right I am. :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Like 3

11 May 1960. New Cross v. Norwich in the Britannia Shield. Ove Fundin scord an 18 point maximum for Norwich. Aub Lawson scored 16 points. His only defeat at the hands of a New Cross rider was inflicted by Jimmy Gooch, who immediately became my faourite rider. New Cross won.

Sadly I can't pin down my first meeting.Too young and no-one collected programmes in my family.Was early 60s at Plough Lane.My mums uncle was Ronnie Moores mechanic and then later machine examiner at Plough Lane and pretty much all the family went from the early days until today.One of my cousins even rode for the Dons in those last years in the NL

28 July 1976.............Poole v Reading and Malcolm Simmons v Dave Morton for the Golden Helmet which Simmo duly retained.............

Hooked ever since.............

RP

1973 Ellesmere Port been a fan ever since Cyril Francis(at the end of his career think it was his last full season ) was my first s/way hero riding number 2 at the Port

Plough Lane, when I was three weeks old...

Steve

Iris : So, Martin is your cousin?

Plough Lane, when I was three weeks old...

Steve

Iris : So, Martin is your cousin?

Yes.As the song goes,we are family..... :party:

Yes.As the song goes,we are family..... :party:

We're friends on FB, and I showed him a footy pic of Viv I found, as a REALLY young man. Martin had never seen it before.

Steve

We're friends on FB, and I showed him a footy pic of Viv I found, as a REALLY young man. Martin had never seen it before.

Steve

Doubt if I have either.Didn't know Viv well.When I was a teenager my Grandad told me to go to the pits and ask for him and i'd get in for nothing.I just thought it was another of his attempts to wind me up.He was always doing things like try and send me to the hardware shop for a tin of striped paint etc,the old bugger

Edited by iris123

Mine 1969 i think v Halifax at the abbey, loved it it took over my childhood loved it though and met some great people along the way.

Doubt if I have either.Didn't know Viv well.When I was a teenager my Grandad told me to go to the pits and ask for him and i'd get in for nothing.I just thought it was another of his attempts to wind me up

My parents knew Viv pretty well, but I never did. Of course, he was a fixture at Plough Lane for virtually the whole time I was going... Just wonder how many of the people I knew are still alive; sad, but it's a long time ago now...

Steve

• Like 1

the old knowle stadium in Bristol,1952,i was 7yrs old, dick Bradley was my hero,been a fan for 60+ years nothing else comperes.