British Speedway Forum
The H Man

Reading Speedway

Yep, the good old days at Dudley Wood (for me 1959 to 1995)...........Pity they can't be replicated at a Dudley Wood 2.0 in the Black Country BUT with 21st Century toilets! But, at least Nigel is doing great work first at Monmore Wood and now at Perry Wood! He is giving me the Heathens dream, albeit through circumstances in the NL, and long may it live on!

Hopefully, the way Cradley Heath are going in the National League, the good folk of Dudley will sit up and take notice. Belle Vue have proved that new Stadia can be built.

Here's hoping.

Edited by The White Knight

Back onto topic, and I miss Smallmead. Yes, the place was a complete tip, but I have some good memories of meetings there, especially when stood on the back straight (before it was comdemned).

In fact, I think had it remained open, it's the local track where I would have ended up the most, because the Oxford vs Reading rivalry was never quite as intense as with Swindon or Coventry.

It's also such a shame that committed fans walk away from the sport, because their track has gone. I wish dear old Racer X was still on here.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Back onto topic, and I miss Smallmead. Yes, the place was a complete tip, but I have some good memories of meetings there, especially when stood on the back straight (before it was comdemned).

In fact, I think had it remained open, it's the local track where I would have ended up the most, because the Oxford vs Reading rivalry was never quite as intense as with Swindon or Coventry.

It's also such a shame that committed fans walk away from the sport, because their track has gone. I wish dear old Racer X was still on here.

All the best

Rob

Some of us didn't. Not even after FORTY ONE years. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Hopefully, the way Cradley Heath are going in the National League, the good folk of Dudley will sit up and take notice. Belle Vue have proved that new Stadia can be built.

Here's hoping.

But do their attendances justify somebody building a new stadium, which would need to ne used for other events besides speedway, if the backers of the venture are to make a substantial return on their investment.

Going slightly off track, what are the chances of swindon's proposed new stadium getting built. I've read reports saying that this season will be the last at the abbey.

But do their attendances justify somebody building a new stadium, which would need to ne used for other events besides speedway, if the backers of the venture are to make a substantial return on their investment.

Apparently the 'Heathens' are very well supported. That is what I have read anyway.

Going slightly off track, what are the chances of swindon's proposed new stadium getting built. I've read reports saying that this season will be the last at the abbey.

That one seems to have gone very quiet.

I hope everything is progressing favourably.

Edited by The White Knight

Like people have said, the place was a tip yet for some reason was a brilliant place to go and visit as an away fan. When Reading went back into the PL in 2008 it seemed like we were there near enough every other week, and featured in the last ever league meeting now. We had some great meetings there, Doyle getting the 21 point max and Werner holding off Ostergaard from 15 metres back. Good times.

• Like 1

Supposed to be special grand final meeting with stadium construction starting soon(possibly,)about 50 yards from the present stadium. Local new estate has roads named after Holloway, Kilby and Richardson. Talking about Mad Wellie the last time I went to Smallmead in 2007 he was the Reading boss, was an easy win for Swindon, hundreds of Robins fans made up about half the crowd. Sad to see the remains now, I drive past once a month when working in Reading. Remember them at Tilehurst as well. Had some good crowds at Smallmead. Shows how speedway has become less and less popular.

Edited by Mad Moose

Reading was a bit $hit in most ways but for me it epitomised British Speedway. A bit crap but you loved it. Had some great memories, Newport rarely won away but I remember many wins at Reading and I don't think I ever saw Coventry lose there! And Big H on the mic was always a laugh, often abused a few of us personally on the mic :D

I miss the place actually. And it's really frustrating to know that it's been knocked down and nothing has been built in it's place so it could still be there hosting speedway in it's own slightly naff way.

Reading was a bit $hit in most ways but for me it epitomised British Speedway. A bit crap but you loved it. Had some great memories, Newport rarely won away but I remember many wins at Reading and I don't think I ever saw Coventry lose there! And Big H on the mic was always a laugh, often abused a few of us personally on the mic :D

I miss the place actually. And it's really frustrating to know that it's been knocked down and nothing has been built in it's place so it could still be there hosting speedway in it's own slightly naff way.

Ah memories

If only someone had written a book about it :wink:

• Like 4

The 'place was a tip but I liked my visits there' comments resonate with me too. For a few years I lived in High Wycombe and used to visit Reading from time to time always wanting the away team to win. I used to visit Oxford too and there I just hoped for good racing regardless of who won. Can't rightly remember what made me want Reading to lose when I was essentially a neutral (my team being Rye House). Anyway, it's a crying shame they let the place go in expectation of a move to something better that never materialised.

What about the proposed introduction of speedway at Aldermarston as an out of town site for Reading?

Dont knock Reading, it was built on a rubbish tip that hadn't settled. At least it has about 500 seats under cover, try getting a seat at Swindon!

It also saw 3 Division 1 titles 1980, 1990 and 1992, Division 2 title in 1997. World Champion Per Jonsson. The best two announcers in Big H and Bob Radford.

SCB saw a new stadium at Newport but after a good start everyone thought it would be good if Tim Stone wasn't running t - and look what happened after his death.

As for Swindon dont believe you are getting a new stadium until you see it going up - Clarke Osbourne has form and it isnt good.

• Like 5

Here's hoping.

Unfortunately the local council is unwilling to find a piece of land in the area,grant planning permission and put up the cash to build it as with Belle Vue .

For me despite a few wins at reading over the years one that sticks out for me was a bank holifay monday norning meeting in 1999.

I remember watson getting 5-1d by kokko and clews in heat one then reeling off five wins .... Sure that was the day eldridge beat morris in heat 15 as we romped to victory! Great times

once the stadium at Smallmead was closed down there was never a cat in hells chance of a new stadium being built whilst Stadie UK were/are involved.

• Like 1