British Speedway Forum
robert72

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

Really?...Old Phillip is renowned for swearing in front of cameras and the public...one example... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N05CApWqp_M

I don't like swearing...but for so many people to post and complain about young Tai it's embarrassing.

Hearing one swear word...and the whole bloody forum is offended.

I'm more offended by the people complaining.

I'm offended by Speedway fans making noise for the sake of making noise...empty vessels and all that.

Yes forum members have a right to complain...but that's all you lot seem to do. Complain about everything.

In answer to your question...if my child said that...I'd probably laugh and then tell them it's not appropriate...but I wouldn't keep going on about it, like it's the end of the world.

If it was something that was continuous...then that would be a different matter.

Swearing has been going on at sporting events and music events for as long as I've been alive.

One swear word...and it's gone freakin mental on here.

Having witnessed the joy young Tai brought to kids and families at the GP on Saturday...I don't think the 'F' word is going to spoil their occasion.

I bet you lot write into the BBC complaining as well don't you.

No

Gresham with regards to that clip I must have gone blind cos I cannot see the mic under Philips nose? I believe it was picked up by a news camera, certainly wasn't part of an interview. So I'm sorry but it is a different scenario to Tai on Saturday.

Yes but to fair old Phil hadn't just completed 4 adrenaline filled laps in front of 40k+ screaming fans. It was only a word and there were seemingly quite a few who hadn't even picked up on it, what a fuss over not very much of a misdemeanour.

Gresham with regards to that clip I must have gone blind cos I cannot see the mic under Philips nose? I believe it was picked up by a news camera, certainly wasn't part of an interview. So I'm sorry but it is a different scenario to Tai on Saturday.

He's surrounded by the worlds media...he knows there are cameras and microphones following his every word. He knows full well it will be picked up.

Tai's 'scenario' on Saturday is pretty much like every other event I've been too, where a sportsman or Artist has been in the 'moment's and swore...not through anger but joy.

Did you not watch Glastonbury and Adele's performance? Littered with swear words. All in front of a family audience.

It's the norm these days.

People aren't going to stop going or be put off because they heard him swear...in fact they will actually see him as very normal for these days.

I'd rather hear a young lad express his joy and excitement with an expletive...as now a days it's not seen in the 'traditional' sense of the word....than someone ranting and raving in anger and swearing.

People complaining all the time over drivel like this, is far more harming to the speedway community than what Tai said on Saturday.

I suggest you never go within hearing distance of any Sporting event, music or comedy event...or even the Queen's Garden party...because you will be highly offended.

It's time a few of you realised that the world didn't finish in 1950 and start moving with the times.

The days of the Raj, afternoon tea and 'it's not cricket' have moved on...as anyone who attends cricket will tell you.

You may not like it...but times have moved on.

Not having a dig at you Star lady...but what Tai said is far less damaging to Speedway than what is written on this forum.

Any 'newbie' would never enter a Speedway meeting after reading this forum.

It's pathetic how many people complain every day over the most trivial matters.

This forum is far more damaging to speedway than anything Tai has ever done.

• Like 1

He's surrounded by the worlds media...he knows there are cameras and microphones following his every word. He knows full well it will be picked up.

Tai's 'scenario' on Saturday is pretty much like every other event I've been too, where a sportsman or Artist has been in the 'moment's and swore...not through anger but joy.

Did you not watch Glastonbury and Adele's performance? Littered with swear words. All in front of a family audience.

People aren't going to stop going or be put off because they heard him swear...in fact they will actually see him as very normal for these days.

I'd rather hear a young lad express his joy and excitement with an expletive...as now a days it's not seen in the 'traditional' sense of the word....than someone ranting and raving in anger and swearing.

People complaining all the time over drivel like this, is far more harming to the speedway community than what Tai said on Saturday.

I suggest you never go within hearing distance of any Sporting event, music or comedy event...or even the Queen's Garden party...because you will be highly offended.

It's time a few of you realised that the world didn't finish in 1950 and start moving with the times.

The days of the Raj, afternoon tea and 'it's not cricket' have moved on...as anyone who attends cricket will tell you.

Not having a dig at you Star lady...but what Tai said is far less damaging to Speedway than what is written on this forum.

Nonsense.

Just because its the norm in your mind doesn't mean to say its the norm elsewhere, certainly not in my home or circle of friends.

Some can still string a sentence together without swearing

• Like 2

My simple answer to the original question is 'yes'.

If the BSPA wanted to make it conditional that to be selected for the national you had to ride in the British leagues they should simply set that out before the season starts (the RFU do a similar thing saying that if you don't play in England you will not be selected to play rugby for England, other than in exceptional circumstances) but the BSPA hasn't done so,so we must assume they are happy to do so.

Gresham, let's get one thing straight, I wasn't offended. I was disappointed that someone who is supposed to represent the sport I still love could be so crass, unprofessional and quite frankly stupid.

This forum contains hundreds of posts bemoaning the lack of media interest, sponsorship etc. Now you might think such crass behaviour doesn't matter but it does to the likes of TV executives and advertising managers who control column inches and advertising budgets. Tai has been at the top for a couple is seasons now, has interest or sponsorship for the sport as a whole increased? I don't think so.

Tai being world champion could have opened up tremendous opportunities for British speedway, it hasn't happened.

• Like 1

Really?...Old Phillip is renowned for swearing in front of cameras and the public...one example...

I'm more offended by the people complaining.

I'm offended by Speedway fans making noise for the sake of making noise...empty vessels and all that.

Yes forum members have a right to complain...but that's all you lot seem to do. Complain about everything.

1. That's a bit rich considering the number of threads you have started moaning about the sport and complaining that flings ain't wot like they used to be in the good old days.

2. If you are offended by the people complaining it's probably best if you don't read the thread.

Swearing has been going on at sporting events and music events for as long as I've been alive.

u.

How many Speedwáy GP's have there been and how many of the previous winners have found it necessary to use

the F-Word when interviewed in front of the crowd afterwards ?

Its not the end of the world, just a shame he couldn't come across as a bit more articulate on that particular occasion.

Shouldn't disqualify him from riding for Team GB though.

• Like 2

Oh well sorry about that.

A comparison then. Both opting out of GB events to persue individual glory.

Did you really need that explaining to you? Somehow I doubt it.

Though actually Murray withdrew from representing gb in a team event to pursue individual glory. Tai withdrew from an individual event to focus on a more prestiguos individual event. Interesting comparison, clearly Murrays is the more "selfish" of the two choices.
  • Like 2

FFS you lot...listen to yourselves.

Does anyone actually pause for thought before they press 'post' and actually think about what you are typing? Do you actually read what you are posting...does it not make you cringe that you have actually taken time to post such trivia.

I've never seen so much drivel written by self righteous, butter wouldn't melt in their mouth, pedantic, nagging old fools.

You want the 'youth of today' to respect you and behave? Listen to yourselves.

If you lot are so put out by swearing...please do not go to any live sporting events...even the likes of Cricket, Polo, Rugby, Tennis...the air is blue.

It's ok for Prince Phillip and the Royals to swear within hearing distance of microphones and make jibes...but not for a pierced tattooed oik from Scunthorpe.

Yes swearing is not ideal...but get over yourselves....this whole forum is becoming/has become like an old peoples home for disgruntled sad depressed old gits.

No wonder this country has gone to the dogs...not because of the youth...but because too many old gits sit around complaining and actually DO very little...apart from complain about others.

You negative bunch of whining old tossers....and that's coming from another old git.

Look up 'self righteous' definition, then read your post again.

firstly dont feel sorry for me..

secondly if my child did that i would ask them why they felt the need to do it..

if they had just done a bunge jump and got of and said that was F**KING awesome.... i wouldnt say a word..

What does 'F**KING awesome' tell you about the experience that the superlative 'awesome' on its own doesn't?

Is 'f**kin noise' any different to 'noise' in those circumstances?

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

Tai being world champion could have opened up tremendous opportunities for British speedway, it hasn't happened.

This is my major issue with tai

Tai has forgotten the opportunities British speedway gave him and the support British fans gave him.

What does 'F**KING awesome' tell you about the experience that the superlative 'awesome' on its own doesn't?

Is 'f**kin noise* any different to 'noise' in those circumstances?

It's an intensifier. It intensifies the awesomeness.

• Like 2

firstly dont feel sorry for me..

secondly if my child did that i would ask them why they felt the need to do it..

if they had just done a bunge jump and got of and said that was F**KING awesome.... i wouldnt say a word..

So you would be happy that your kids have no respect either

It seems the World has changed dramatically since I was a lad. Now it seems doing drugs, riding uninsured motor bikes,being involved in affray,drinking to excess and now swearing in public are just things ' young people do' . Well for most people the world hasn't changed that much and parents who see these things as acceptable and the norm should take a hard look at themselves

• Like 4