British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

The Trouble With Speedway Is, Too Many Things Can Go Wrong

The problem for speedway is, people don't want to hear excuses about power cuts or the weather. What they want is a good product for a fair price. These days the public demand a good service for their money. When I go to a football match, I know it will start at 3pm and end at 5pm. All the delays and all of the excuses are the main reason a lot of my mates, that are long standing speedway fans don't go anymore.

Says it in a nutshell - but - will anybody listen or take notice.

• Like 1

why don't sun affected tracks have 2 starting gates

or just relocate the one set

Actually the EU have put a ban on outdoor swimming pool diving boards that face into the sun as they are dangerous.People can dive off them onto some unsuspecting swimmer underneath having been blinded by the sun.............

• Like 1

On Wednesday I went to the theatre rather than the speedway at perry Barr.part of this was because I knew the show at the theatre would start at 7.30 and would have a good chance of being good value.guess what , it was. Then perry Barr!!!!also , I get speedway as to charge what it does because bikes can be expensive but unfortunately the cost doesn't match the value we get.I really don't want to get bored with speedway but I am because I can get better value elsewhere even by going out on my own bike and enjoy it more

• Like 1

On Wednesday I went to the theatre rather than the speedway at perry Barr.part of this was because I knew the show at the theatre would start at 7.30 and would have a good chance of being good value.guess what , it was. Then perry Barr!!!!also , I get speedway as to charge what it does because bikes can be expensive but unfortunately the cost doesn't match the value we get.I really don't want to get bored with speedway but I am because I can get better value elsewhere even by going out on my own bike and enjoy it more

Nail on the head.I find that it is hard to justify the time/money spent on speedway and because none of my kids nor my girlfriend like it then I end up doing something we can all enjoy,because even I can't say I get much enjoyment from it most of the time recently.Even watching it on tv I find once someone makes a protest I think "yes,it is boring so far....." and end up turning to another channel.Maybe it just needs one good meeting to change it all

Just watching the GP and the sparse crowd, made me think that the competitors haven't got the pulling power of years gone.

We have winner Nicki and Greg, who at 45 shouldn't be doing as he is and winning two world titles. We are at a stage where riders that are in the line-up haven't really got a chance and are now leaving their peak ,and gone is the wow factor that Crump and Gollob used to offer.

I know I'll get slaugherted, but I find it hard sometimes, even thinking that Tai and Holder have won world titles.. when it took Leigh Adams years, just to win a GP Round.

• Like 1

It doesn't help that teams these days are made up almost entirely of journeymen riders, with little or no affection for their club

Gone are the days of teams including a number of local riders, home grown riders, whom fans could relate to on and off the track

And, of course, there's the self-inflicted increase in guest riders because of the doubling-up situation - I'm all for riders getting as much track time as possible but not where it causes team selection problems week in week out throughout the UK

A new blueprint for British speedway is desperately needed - NOW

Squads have been mentioned to allow for "star riders" to reappear in our leagues - but squads are just as much needed to obviate the doubling-up absenteeism

• Like 2

Just watching the GP and the sparse crowd, made me think that the competitors haven't got the pulling power of years gone.

We have winner Nicki and Greg, who at 45 shouldn't be doing as he is and winning two world titles. We are at a stage where riders that are in the line-up haven't really got a chance and are now leaving their peak ,and gone is the wow factor that Crump and Gollob used to offer.

I know I'll get slaugherted, but I find it hard sometimes, even thinking that Tai and Holder have won world titles.. when it took Leigh Adams years, just to win a GP Round.

i totally agree with you, what little excitement the GP's provide for me has gone. Lower grade riders competing on awful tracks are what it's all about nowadays. Will I be going to Cardiff this year, not a chance!

I've just noticed there was another power failure at stoke tonight, it must be catching!

• Like 1

why don't sun affected tracks have 2 starting gates

or just relocate the one set

Then the riders would be moaning they can't see going into the 3rd/4th bend instead of the 1st/2nd. :lol: Did we have all these sun breaks years ago? I don't recall them.

.....Brummie Kev.....You mention the sun delays at Kings Lynn but surely rider safety is paramount, so its a bit harsh to criticise that, im sure most fans would understand that.

I know you are replying to the person who started the thread but I'm afraid I couldn't put up with a 40 minute delay every time the sun shines so they must be a patient lot at Kings Lynn. When we went a couple of weeks ago this is what happened, but although the sun was shining it was still cold hanging around due to the wind and the delay was enough to put me off going again. If this is a regular thing ~ and with Summer coming up it probably is ~ why not start at 8pm instead of 7.30pm? Also would it not be possible to put some sort of hoarding up on the bend that is affected so there isn't such a long delay?

Edited by Gemini

I've just noticed there was another power failure at stoke tonight, it must be catching!

Stoke have had that before - to my knowledge, several times. That's along with ambulances not turning up and the SCB apparently getting involved due to the state of the track. Read Vog's (a passionate Stoke fan if ever there was one) excellent comments on the meeting thread.

One offs happen. Repeated occurrences should not.

Then the riders would be moaning they can't see going into the 3rd/4th bend instead of the 1st/2nd. :lol: Did we have all these sun breaks years ago? I don't recall them.

Nor do I, Gem. I am sure we can all see the potential risk but if it wasn't dangerous 30 years ago why is it now ?

Along with many other aspects of the sport, it puts the paying customers interests secondary when in fact they should be first.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

It doesn't help that teams these days are made up almost entirely of journeymen riders, with little or no affection for their club

Gone are the days of teams including a number of local riders, home grown riders, whom fans could relate to on and off the track

And, of course, there's the self-inflicted increase in guest riders because of the doubling-up situation - I'm all for riders getting as much track time as possible but not where it causes team selection problems week in week out throughout the UK

A new blueprint for British speedway is desperately needed - NOW

Squads have been mentioned to allow for "star riders" to reappear in our leagues - but squads are just as much needed to obviate the doubling-up absenteeism

I have to disagree with that a bit, there are several teams in Sweden that have several local riders in their squad.

Like Smederna who have Zetterström,Linus Eklöf + a bunch of younger riders, Masarna who have Lindbäck, Anton Rosén, Linus Sundström,

Piraterna have Jonas and Daniel Davidsson, Vetlanda have THJ and Peter Ljung, Rospiggarna have Andreas Jonsson, Lejonen have Oliver Berntzon...

Does this means that Swedish speedway is flourishing? It does not. On the contrary it has allot of problems and local riders itself doesn't mean

that the attendances is sky rocketing or anything like that.

Stoke have had that before - to my knowledge, several times. That's along with ambulances not turning up and the SCB apparently getting involved due to the state of the track. Read Vog's (a passionate Stoke fan if ever there was one) excellent comments on the meeting thread.

One offs happen. Repeated occurrences should not.

Absolutely!!!!

Nor do I, Gem. I am sure we can all see the potential risk but if it wasn't dangerous 30 years ago why is it now ?

Not wanting to stick up for promoters,but like I mentioned before the EU have clamped down on diving boards,so maybe laws have got tougher.If an accident was caused by being blinded by the sun they might find themselves in big trouble.Things do change from 30 or even 10 years ago.Just look at the Ty Procter situation.That would have been unthinkable 30 years ago......but,they are taking a big chance with the paying public.They know in which direction(or should doif they look at the right website)the sun will shine throughout the year and are just hoping it won't affect them and if it does then the paying public will just have to put up with it and wait,instead of like Gem say's, start later

In Denmark they start earlier or later according to the time of year,surely it is possible in the UK?

Edited by iris123

Tinted goggles??

Having been a motorbike rider for over 20 years I know how difficult it is to see when the sun is low and directly in front of you.Not sure tinted goggles would be the answer as when you turn out of the sun, would it all seem so dark for a few seconds?Just as dangerous maybe.Not sure your eyes or the goggles can react that fast.To me the answer was a peak on the helmet and to keep my head down as much as poss......

Edited by iris123

Actually the EU have put a ban on outdoor swimming pool diving boards that face into the sun as they are dangerous.People can dive off them onto some unsuspecting swimmer underneath having been blinded by the sun.............

Must be a myth surely. :o