British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

Teamgb V. Great Britain?

For how much longer is our International Speedway Team going to be known by that bloody awful name TeamGB? Talk about stating the bloody obvious:

i) It is a Team.

ii) It is Great Britain.

Why the hell can we not just call our International Team 'GREAT BRITAIN' so that we can have some pride in both the Team and our Country.

But PLEASE not the obnoxious TeamGB - it is an abomination!!!!!

I would also ask for a big Union Flag on the racejacket - but I have little doubt that would be going too far.

http://speedwayplus.com/FreddieWilliams.shtml

Link taken from SpeedwayPlus website.

• Like 5

There are loads of sports that now call themselves Team GB or Team England...it's probably come across from America , it sounds American ......but it also sounds awful......I will always say Great Britain or England or whatever country is represented....I'll never ever say Team anything !

• Like 1

It is Great Britain, we all know that it is a team. As for using the big Union Jack on the race suits, it is probablly politically incorrect to use our flag, which so many of us are proud of in case it upsets someone.

• Like 2

You're leaning against an open door here TWK - its an embarrasing attempt to be trendy

• Like 1

England

• Like 1

I'm not too sure what's worse. The Great Britain team of yesteryear which was 75% Antipodean, or the current TeamGB which is 100% English. Can't we enter the SWC as England?. We are not Great Britain or TeamGB in the Commonwealth Games, so I see no objection to racing under the England banner with a Cross of St. George proudly worn.

• Like 1

For how much longer is our International Speedway Team going to be known by that bloody awful name TeamGB? Talk about stating the bloody obvious:

i) It is a Team.

ii) It is Great Britain.

Why the hell can we not just call our International Team 'GREAT BRITAIN' so that we can have some pride in both the Team and our Country.

But PLEASE not the obnoxious TeamGB - it is an abomination!!!!!

I would also ask for a big Union Flag on the racejacket - but I have little doubt that would be going too far.

http://speedwayplus.com/FreddieWilliams.shtml

Link taken from SpeedwayPlus website.

Let's start a Team BSF campaign to have it abolished! ;)

Sign me up.

It won't really matter cos Team Denmark or Team Poland will win it!!

• Like 2

Maybe not if Russia track Sayfutdinov and the Lagutas.

Maybe not if Russia track Sayfutdinov and the Lagutas.

If they don't want to ride for Russia we could put them in,like we did with Schlein :P

England

I presume you would like the 1984 world pairs champions referred to as Manchester then as thats where the winning team came from.

This has been gone over dozens of times. It is great britain because it is the representative team of the acu who represent 2 and 3 wheel motorsport in great britain at the fim, it is irrelevent that the team at the moment all hail from england

• Like 3

It is funny though when a commentator spontaneously calls them England.Think it might be Tatum that regularly does?????

Don't think it matters a fig personally.

• Like 3