British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

Speedway tends to rush for the "next best thing". A lot of people here are putting down the tuners but let's be honest Marcel Gerhard is in business, selling his new speedway engines. He is not doing it for free, or at cost, he has a vested interest in the success of the GTR.

You seem to miss the point here.Sure Gerhard is running a business and has a vested interest in the success of his engines.But speedway bikes can't run without engines.They can run without being tuned up so often.The tuners i would think are the ones who are somewhat superficial and have the vested interest.

Not putting them down as Ash put some good points across.But costs need to be cut and Gerhard is trying to help in this matter

It seems Egon Müller has given up his work on the electric engine,but really that does seem the way forward.Governments and local authorities will only get tougher on emissions in the future.If they are ging to take on the road users then i think it only reasonable that they will also at some stage clamp down on entertainment/sport use

• Like 1

If a rider buys a BSPA funded GTR can he use it abroad?

But how was it funded by the BSPA. Have their really thrown £360k into the pot, I doubt it. More likely they have guaranteed sales of the engine to that value in order to justify Gerharts initial financial layout.

Edited by Tsunami

Can he take his BSPA funded GTR, to PJR and turn it into a rocket ship?

no because the engines will be factory sealed.

If the seal is tampered with then they'll not be permitted for use in the British league

• Like 1

Can he take his BSPA funded GTR, to PJR and turn it into a rocket ship?

Yes, if he's daft enough.

Why is he daft? If he's riding for let's say Rye House and Sheffield, he can't use the same engine, he needs one rocket ship and one softer engine, can you buy different types of sealed engine.

Why is he daft? If he's riding for let's say Rye House and Sheffield, he can't use the same engine, he needs one rocket ship and one softer engine, can you buy different types of sealed engine.

No.

No.

And he's daft because it would void the warranty and probably wouldn't pass the machine examiners.

Think you've answered all the questions, let's hope the BSPA have got an eBay account, cos that's the only place people will buy them.

• Like 3

I remember some decades ago when someone brought a new speedway engine over to the UK from Czechoslovakia. There were lots of sceptics then as to whether they would ever sell one let alone thousands. I think they sold a few in the end.

People don't like change and in speedway it's no different.

You seem to miss the point here.Sure Gerhard is running a business and has a vested interest in the success of his engines.But speedway bikes can't run without engines.They can run without being tuned up so often.The tuners i would think are the ones who are somewhat superficial and have the vested interest.

Not putting them down as Ash put some good points across.But costs need to be cut and Gerhard is trying to help in this matter

It seems Egon Müller has given up his work on the electric engine,but really that does seem the way forward.Governments and local authorities will only get tougher on emissions in the future.If they are ging to take on the road users then i think it only reasonable that they will also at some stage clamp down on entertainment/sport use

I'm very pleased about that.

Can you imagine going to the Speedway - no noise, no smell of Castrol 'R' (you can hardly get a whiff of that these days).

If they go to Electric Bikes - whatever it is - it won't be Speedway.

I'm very pleased about that.

Can you imagine going to the Speedway - no noise, no smell of Castrol 'R' (you can hardly get a whiff of that these days).

If they go to Electric Bikes - whatever it is - it won't be Speedway.

I have mentioned it before and been shot down in flames (not by you TWK), but the lack of/reduction of, the smell of castor oil in the air, hasn't done speedway any favours in the modern era, IMO. The last time I mentioned it I got crass comments, such as 'I think I have a can of Castrol 'R' in my garage somewhere, perhaps I can soak a rag and set fire to it'. Just another nail in the.......

• Like 1

The "unique" smell of burning castrol oil, burning clutch plates, the noise of virtually un-muffled, single cylinder engines thrashing, the smell of proper hot dog sausages and onions frying, the clank of glass pop bottles rolling down concrete steps, the sound of kids trainers being skidded through dry, dusty shale, and the echoey tannoy competing with the old tractor fighting its way through shale..

That's how it was in the 70's......

• Like 1

The "unique" smell of burning castrol oil, burning clutch plates, the noise of virtually un-muffled, single cylinder engines thrashing, the smell of proper hot dog sausages and onions frying, the clank of glass pop bottles rolling down concrete steps, the sound of kids trainers being skidded through dry, dusty shale, and the echoey tannoy competing with the old tractor fighting its way through shale..

:t: Careful your not allowed to mention the good old days or you will be accused of living in the past but it was a great time to be involved in s/way that cannot be disputed :D

Edited by FAST GATER

To be fair, most of the above still exists, but not the smell of castor oil! The burger bars smell more than the fumes of burning castor oil! Now, some people on the forum will say, 'castor oil doesn't protect the modern speedway engine nowadays', That is odd, as the engines, mechanically, are virtually the same as when speedway began. Would it be logical to suggest then, that the reason we have lost the widespread use of castor oil, is due to the riders and the tuners. So once again, bugger the paying punters and what they want.

• Like 1

Would it be logical to suggest then, that the reason we have lost the widespread use of castor oil, is due to the riders and the tuners. So once again, bugger the paying punters and what they want.

Not really, more like modern oils work over a larger temperature range, provide better lubrication and don't gel like 'R' if left, especially when the engines rev so much higher than they used to.