British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Lakeside V Belle Vue Select 29/5

How much to get in?

Looks great value for money....

Come on the 'NL/PL/EL Globetrotters'...

Maybe these lads could 'tour the nation' visiting each track in turn?

They would pack em in I tell you, pack em in!!!

As a fan you have to laugh or you would cry wouldnt you? We actually follow a sport that actively supports such occurrences to take place and see it as 'perfectly normal'..

Setting off now so I beat the queues....

• Like 2

Quite right, three quarters of speedway's troubles are a result of dreadful fixture planning. I agree about Cook and Josh G, these are two riders who we are told are ambitious and want to improve so they really shouldn't miss EL matches to ride in the PL regardless of who's asset they may be.

No admission of being wrong about Fricke & Nielsen though, you'd make a great politician ;)

Yes I missed the point about Fricke and Nielson, but that doesn't affect the point being made . The point was that it was said that EL should move away from weekend meetings to avoid guests and my reply was why should the top league move to accommodate the lower league. The fact remains that two of the missing riders are riding in PL matches and nobody has yet said why the EL should move to accommodate the PL double uppers. The other thing is that Ipswich have booked a guest for Nielson on Saturday so even if theEL moved away from weekend race nights Nielson would still not be available for his PL club on Saturday.

The bottom line is that the root of the problem is poor fixture planning and nothing to do with the EL having a Friday race night

• Like 2

Except that there are no riders on international duty. The reason Belle Vue have half a team of guests is that they have riders piddling around in the PL . It the problem is the double uppers not the international riders.

Well come on then explain to me why PL fixtures should take precedence of EL fixtures. ? Matej Zagar and Andreas Jonsson are down to ride. The PL double uppers are missing.

Quite right, three quarters of speedway's troubles are a result of dreadful fixture planning. I agree about Cook and Josh G, these are two riders who we are told are ambitious and want to improve so they really shouldn't miss EL matches to ride in the PL regardless of who's asset they may be.

No admission of being wrong about Fricke & Nielsen though, you'd make a great politician ;)

And here we go with the EL snobbery yet again... Get yer head's out of your own backsides and accept the fact that Cook is an Edinburgh asset just as Grajczonek is a Somerset asset... Cookie is contracted firstly to Edinburgh. Edinburgh race on Friday nights, always have done. Why not move the Lakeside fixture with Belle Vue to their alternative race night?

Why should a PL team play second best to the far from Elite League? Are Cook and Grajczonek going to improve substantially by racing in the EL where there is one rider per team that is above PL quality? No... There are far more underlying issues with the EL than just riders missing meetings due to honouring the teams they are assets of...

The problem is that there is no consistency in the EL anymore. The top leagues in other countries ride on the same day. If the EL is to survive, they have to do the same - they have to ride on Monday's. Simple. Don't go blaming PL teams and riders for the shambolic setup of the EL.

Edited by Nutz

I agree about a uniform race night for the EL but it's unlikely to ever happen. Maybe a couple of race nights could happen though rather than five.

The other bit is nothing to do with EL snobbery, it's just daft that riders who are looking to break into the big time are missing top division meeting to ride in second tier matches, it defies common sense. And I'd say the same if they both rode for my team in the PL.

• Like 2

Who will be the 1st club to turn up with 7 guests it's getting close.

didnt 'Belle Vue' do that against, I think, Eastbourne once? Or maybe six and RR....?

my memory might be playing tricks but didnt they have the end of season party or something so John Perrin basically said his team wasnt riding so a complete team of non BV riders were put together...?

Edited by mikebv

The problem is that there is no consistency in the EL anymore. The top leagues in other countries ride on the same day. If the EL is to survive, they have to do the same - they have to ride on Monday's. Simple. Don't go blaming PL teams and riders for the shambolic setup of the EL.

What a great idea for all clubs to race on a Monday night. With a live speedway match on Sky how many people do you think will be there.

In less than a season every team would be bankrupt.Mind you it would get rid of guests if every team was racing on a monday.

• Like 1

My memory is probably worse than yours but I don't think it was anything to do with a party and I think we had at least one, if not two, Belle Vue riders. I thought we'd asked Eastbourne to rearrange it but they refused.

I also understand that Belle Vue have tried to rearrange tonight's fixture but that it wasn't possible. Don't know why.

What a great idea for all clubs to race on a Monday night. With a live speedway match on Sky how many people do you think will be there.

In less than a season every team would be bankrupt.Mind you it would get rid of guests if every team was racing on a monday.

Monday is also one of the reasons many riders don't want to race here. They think it is too much with Poland on a Sunday and Sweden on Tuesday.

• Like 1

I always wondered what it was like, for those tracks staging war-time meetings and not knowing what competitors would turn up.

Speedway 2015 is very much a case of getting the show on, or at least getting the crowd in the stadium, then decide what to do, no matter what riders are available. It's like the school PE match, when teams were different every week.

And they wonder why support is what it is.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

If I had a £1 for every time I've said this:

Elite League meetings should all be raced on Monday nights. PL and NL meetings are not allowed to be raced on that day to stop clashes and allow British riders to double up.

Two home meetings a month will help keep costs down for supporters, one race night may attract better riders back to the EL as well which makes promotion easier.

If clubs can't commit to Monday night racing then they need to join the PL or NL, I doubt any would though as they can all run on a monday when Sky come calling.

• Like 1

Mikkel Bech riding as a second string already? I thought he will from June 1st. But he is at 4 according to Lakeside site.

didnt 'Belle Vue' do that against, I think, Eastbourne once? Or maybe six and RR....?

my memory might be playing tricks but didnt they have the end of season party or something so John Perrin basically said his team wasnt riding so a complete team of non BV riders were put together...?

For their August 11 2001 visit to Eastbourne, Belle Vue had only one regular contracted rider in their line up - Tomasz Jedrzejak. New face in the side, recently signed Tomas Topinka joined him, as Aces were annihilated 64-26.

The patched up Manchester side was missing Kaj Laukkanen and Jason Lyons because of the Inter-Continental Final; Peter Karlsson and Jimmy Nilsen were injured; and Matej Ferjan was riding in the Slovenian Championship.

Shaun Tacey, Leigh Lanham, Craig Watson and Simon Stead came in as guests, Stead fuelling Belle Vue problems further by picking up injury in only his second ride, forcing his withdrawal.

It was certainly a bleak day and a poor advert for the sport… especially as the match was being filmed live on SKY TV.

• Like 2

So you're saying that supporters would far more want to sit and watch a live speedway match on TV of other teams in their division rather than go and watch their own team live at the stadium??? Surely this is shows the sorry state of what the EL has become in this modern era of our great sport...

If this is what the EL has come to, then you might as well give me that hammer, and I'll put that final nail in...

If I had a £1 for every time I've said this:

Elite League meetings should all be raced on Monday nights. PL and NL meetings are not allowed to be raced on that day to stop clashes and allow British riders to double up.

Two home meetings a month will help keep costs down for supporters, one race night may attract better riders back to the EL as well which makes promotion easier.

If clubs can't commit to Monday night racing then they need to join the PL or NL, I doubt any would though as they can all run on a monday when Sky come calling.

Seems all the common sense comes from the PL!!!

It's not too much for riders to race GP on a Saturday, Poland Sunday, Sometimes UK Monday, Sweden Tuesday, Sometimes Denmark Wednesday et al... Hell, they'd have Friday and for most, Saturday off so I don't see the issue. The stability it would create in the UK EL must be something that needs looked at...

• Like 1

Jon Cook claiming in Speedway Star that promoters need to talk and listen to fans views.

Then in 2015 with the digital age welland truly dawned, websites, social media in the ascendacy, Mr Cook decides to communicate with fans via the programme.

You couldn't make it up.

No wonder EL speedway s so out of touch with its supporters.

He'll be stuffed by a rain off or will people have to waitfor a restaging in August when he will reissue thr peogramme.

• Like 1

Yes I missed the point about Fricke and Nielson, but that doesn't affect the point being made . The point was that it was said that EL should move away from weekend meetings to avoid guests and my reply was why should the top league move to accommodate the lower league. The fact remains that two of the missing riders are riding in PL matches and nobody has yet said why the EL should move to accommodate the PL double uppers. The other thing is that Ipswich have booked a guest for Nielson on Saturday so even if theEL moved away from weekend race nights Nielson would still not be available for his PL club on Saturday.

The bottom line is that the root of the problem is poor fixture planning and nothing to do with the EL having a Friday race night

These riders are contracted to their PL clubs, if EL clubs want to use them then buy their contracts, its not rocket science.

Should Edinburgh, who paid good money for Craig Cook when he was released by Worky, turn around and say "Oh Craig there is a fixture clash with the top league tonight, you better just give us a miss, don't worry about this clubs fans.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Buy your own assets and loan them out to the PL, there is your answer, but no you want everything, just because you are in the Elite League, Unbelievable Jeff .

PS I Know the asset system isn't right and probably not legally enforceable but until such time as it is challenged, we are stuck with it.

• Like 5