British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Lakeside V Belle Vue Select 29/5

I actually thought the riders in the reserve draft made it far more balanced this year, Auty, Wright and Birks were added to give everybody (in theory) a strong senior reserve and a much more even set of number sevens. Lakeside IMO have been very unfortunate that Birks didn't recapture his 2013 form for Swindon and Ellis just hasn't kicked on at all. As I said on a different thread I thought the Hammers' pair would be one of the stronger ones but it may didn't turn out that way.

Out if interest if Lakeside hadn't protected Ellis would they have got an earlier pick than Birks?

Out if interest if Lakeside hadn't protected Ellis would they have got an earlier pick than Birks?

I think they would have got a better pick but it's logical to pick Ellis because he is an asset and nobody could really have foreseen that Ellis would have more or less gone backwards this year. He is banging the maximums at Brum and breaking the track record but his EL form is very hit and miss. Equally nobody could really have predicted that Birks would be so far down on his 2013 form. Therein lies the problem . If your top tier reserve is failing there is very little to choose from by way of replacement.

• Like 2

I actually thought the riders in the reserve draft made it far more balanced this year, Auty, Wright and Birks were added to give everybody (in theory) a strong senior reserve and a much more even set of number sevens. Lakeside IMO have been very unfortunate that Birks didn't recapture his 2013 form for Swindon and Ellis just hasn't kicked on at all. As I said on a different thread I thought the Hammers' pair would be one of the stronger ones but it may didn't turn out that way.

Only Charles Wright

Only Charles Wright

That wouldn't have worked. Charles is a Somerset asset riding on Friday.

That wouldn't have worked. Charles is a Somerset asset riding on Friday.

Forgot about that, so we basically had last pick whatever happened...

It says "all decisions taken by a Referee" are deciding the positions over the line not a decision then?

Hence the 'hey ho' in my post.

The reference to multi angle would appear to infer it is aimed primarily at exclusion scenarios - you don't need multi angles for a well placed camera on the start line.

The problem is the FTR system is really an asset system, if you have good contracted riders you can hold on to them, which means if you finish bottom of the league one year despite having the first pick the next still end up with almost no choices because the other seven or eight clubs have already protected the Garrity's and Newman's of this world.

It should either be a free for all which means any FTR rider can be drafted to any track based on who has first pick or some sort of average/grading system should be used because the difference between some of these riders is huge.

The problem is the FTR system is really an asset system, if you have good contracted riders you can hold on to them, which means if you finish bottom of the league one year despite having the first pick the next still end up with almost no choices because the other seven or eight clubs have already protected the Garrity's and Newman's of this world.

It should either be a free for all which means any FTR rider can be drafted to any track based on who has first pick or some sort of average/grading system should be used because the difference between some of these riders is huge.

It was worse than that this year. Clubs could protect a rider they had used the previous year even if he wasn't an asset ie.Garrity at Coventry which, as I have pointed out before meant the advantage they gained from first pick in 2014 carried on through to 2015 despite the fact they had finished much higher up in 2014. The continuation of that formula will mean very few tier one riders will be available for the bottom club to choose.

It was worse than that this year. Clubs could protect a rider they had used the previous year even if he wasn't an asset ie.Garrity at Coventry which, as I have pointed out before meant the advantage they gained from first pick in 2014 carried on through to 2015 despite the fact they had finished much higher up in 2014. The continuation of that formula will mean very few tier one riders will be available for the bottom club to choose.

Its amusing that Wolves and Lakeside who thought the draft would work for them in '14 because they had Ellis and Morris as assets failed though - yet Coventry come out of it well, in fact very well :D BV have not done too bad out of it either. Sadly Poole have done as well out of it as they hoped.

Its amusing that Wolves and Lakeside who thought the draft would work for them in '14 because they had Ellis and Morris as assets failed though - yet Coventry come out of it well, in fact very well :D BV have not done too bad out of it either. Sadly Poole have done as well out of it as they hoped.

Very sad and even Newman seems to be going through a difficult spell.

As for Belle Vue, I think we have done ok. Worrall is doing what was expected and Nielsen,after a difficult start, seems to have found some good form both for us and for Ipswich.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year if some step up into the 1-5. One rider who seems to have missed out is Richie Worrall, if he gets his chance next year the Aces will be able to protect him but it depends on what is happening to Steve.

As ever between promoters, there were some dodgy dealings and agreements floating around right up to and including the day of the draft. It's a closed shop and they sort it out amongst themselves, not really caring who they drop in the rubbish. Sadly i've learned this from bitter experience.

about time Lakeside got rebranded as Arena Essex!! :D

Said in jest i know but your actually correct, should have never been called Lakeside in the first place!

lakeside is a shopping centre, and a place where the darts is played.....

it's like poole changing to harbourside pirates