British Speedway Forum
Terry

Who Was Best, Louis Senior Or Louis Junior?

I think you will find that Chris rode on after the incident with the starting pole in Poland which happened in 2001. He actually rode for Ipswich up to 2008.. The incident that finished his career was the crash at Foxhall with Sam Simota.

I think you will find that a crash with 'Lewis Bridger' (and nearly the infield tractor/grader to) at Foxhall ended Chris's career and The Sam Simota crash you refer to is what ended Mark Loram's a year or two earlier.

I think you will find that Chris rode on after the incident with the starting pole in Poland which happened in 2001. He actually rode for Ipswich up to 2008.. The incident that finished his career was the crash at Foxhall with Sam Simota.

Oh dear, if you're going to correct someone get it right. The Simota crash ended Lorams career. And to suggest that Louis come back from the crash in Poland as good as eh was before was silly, he went for a top class performer to a fringe Team GB rider and nothing like the top guy he was before.

Oh dear, if you're going to correct someone get it right. The Simota crash ended Lorams career. And to suggest that Louis come back from the crash in Poland as good as eh was before was silly, he went for a top class performer to a fringe Team GB rider and nothing like the top guy he was before.

Spot on post

A tricky one, since both reached the heights of World No 3.

But looking across their whole careers, I feel John Louis just shades it, courtesy of some stunning performances in the World Team Cup and World Pairs, plus slightly greater consistency at league level (not looking at averages for the aforementioned reasons, but rather position in the final averages).

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

Am I the only forum member who followed John as a Scrambles rider?. He was very active on the East of England circuit early'mid 1960's.

• Like 1

I would say Chris. John relied almost solely on his gating, Chris was a more complete racer.

I saw Tiger Louis pass loads of times so he did not gate much when I saw him.

Both excellent riders.

Dad just has the edge.

• Like 1

I saw Tiger Louis pass loads of times so he did not gate much when I saw him.

Both excellent riders.

Dad just has the edge.

You might have, I didn't.

You might have, I didn't.

Then obviously you never saw the race between JL and Bruce at the BLRC.....believe me I have been at Foxhall since 1955...and saw him in his majesty..throughout the 1970's....every single week home and away he passed riders....I note that your "team" is Halifax...says it all dear.

John Louis and Chris Louis were both terrific riders and great servants of Ipswich speedway, definitely in my all time greatest Witches team ever!

I'd say that in the history of speedway no father and son racers were ever so evenly matched in terms of ability and success!

Phil and Jason Crump.

So very hard to compare different eras but 10 years on the trot in the top 3 of the World IMO makes Crump Jnr not only better than his father but probably one of the greatest ever ( I know I'm contradicting myself )

So very hard to compare different eras but 10 years on the trot in the top 3 of the World IMO makes Crump Jnr not only better than his father but probably one of the greatest ever ( I know I'm contradicting myself )

No doubt Jason was far better than Phil.....Phil Crump was an excellent rider but Jason in my opinion is one of the best ever

John Louis and Chris Louis were both terrific riders and great servants of Ipswich speedway, definitely in my all time greatest Witches team ever!

I'd say that in the history of speedway no father and son racers were ever so evenly matched in terms of ability and success!

Ken & Neil Middleditch had fairly similar careers, admittedly not nearly as successful as the Louis clan though.

Then obviously you never saw the race between JL and Bruce at the BLRC.....believe me I have been at Foxhall since 1955...and saw him in his majesty..throughout the 1970's....every single week home and away he passed riders....I note that your "team" is Halifax...says it all dear.

At that time I was a frequent visitor to tracks all over the country. I didn't say he NEVER passed anyone, just that his son was the better racer. If you disagree, fair enough, no need for the clever remarks.

If pushed in to choosing a Father/Son partnership - I would go for Phil/Jason Crump marginally ahead of John/Chris Louis.

Just an opinion, because it is very difficult to choose in different eras.

Phil was probably on a par with, or a little below the louis's (I'd tend towards the latter). Jason though is one of the top ten of all time IMHO, so as a partnership I'd definitely give the crumps the edge.

Most closely matched brothers - the Grahames? Boococks? Morans?