British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Albert

Video Refs... Could It Happen In Speedway?

Rugby and Cricket amongst other sports have their own version of a video referee... Could Speedway follow suit?

Obviously for televised meetings only... With all the benefit of tv replays, from various cameras, could speedway introduce a video referee and give him/her the power to overturn the match referees decision? Or if the match referee is unsure on a decision, gives them chance to refer to a video ref.

Also, maybe give the teams two challenges each.. ? If they think something has gone against them, use up a challenge.... I think it would add something extra to televised meetings....but would it work?

Edited by Albert

I think you're confusing speedway with a professional sport.

All very well in theory but you have to think of the " we couldn't possibly put a lick of paint in the toilets" promoters who baulk at dragging our beloved sport into the 20th century , let alone the 21st.

That kind of stuff costs money, money that they can't afford.

I mean, who's gonna pay the flights for the foreign journeymen eh ? If we don't have Hans / Zdenek / Pioter / Nikki / (insert random US - Aussie name here )

, the fans won't come

Now where's my Showaddywaddy 45 and woodbines ?

All very well in theory but you have to think of the " we couldn't possibly put a lick of paint in the toilets" promoters who baulk at dragging our beloved sport into the 20th century , let alone the 21st.

I mean, who's gonna pay the flights for the foreign journeymen eh ? If we don't have Hans / Zdenek / Pioter / Nikki / (insert random US - Aussie name here )

, the fans won't come

I see you only post when you think you have something mildly important. Hence the reason for only 117 posts. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

He's only been a member since Oct14 so what would you expect from that amount of time?

Some like to read some like to post some like to do a bit of both.

People have to much to say for themselves hey tnusami?

, the fans won't come

(Ryan Toad-fish)

Edited by ruffdiamond

What about a "Fans Power Boost"!!

Fans vote and the rider with the highest number of votes achieved gets to use nitro from the gate!!

Edited by Shale Searcher

Rugby and Cricket amongst other sports have their own version of a video referee... Could Speedway follow suit?

Obviously for televised meetings only... With all the benefit of tv replays, from various cameras, could speedway introduce a video referee and give him/her the power to overturn the match referees decision? Or if the match referee is unsure on a decision, gives them chance to refer to a video ref.

Also, maybe give the teams two challenges each.. ? If they think something has gone against them, use up a challenge.... I think it would add something extra to televised meetings....but would it work?

They already use the video on TV matches, so in essence, it already exists.

They might also use video evidence if you filmed a meeting yourself.I know it has happened here a few times with a guy who just films meetings to put on youtube.He was asked up to the refs box to show his video after a couple of incidents

Doesn't normally bother refs. They constantly make shocking decisions then refuse to change them just because they enjoy the power and defiance plus don't even make a case to justify the decision they made.

They might also use video evidence if you filmed a meeting yourself.I know it has happened here a few times with a guy who just films meetings to put on youtube.He was asked up to the refs box to show his video after a couple of incidents

Referees can only use video evidence when there's a recognised TV company in attendance who can provide multi-angle replays. They can't view footage from someone videoing it for a DVD etc.

Referees can only use video evidence when there's a recognised TV company in attendance who can provide multi-angle replays. They can't view footage from someone videoing it for a DVD etc.

I know they have done in Germany.The guy stated so on facebook and there was a photo of him in the refs box showing him his footage to back it up.I know the bloke and he is no bullrubbishter and he is a one man band with his amateur video camera on a tripod by the starting gate of most speedway meetings in North east Germany

I know they have done in Germany.The guy stated so on facebook and there was a photo of him in the refs box showing him his footage to back it up.I know the bloke and he is no bullrubbishter and he is a one man band with his amateur video camera on a tripod by the starting gate of most speedway meetings in North east Germany

They may have done in Germany, but here it is not allowed (SR 14.9.2)