British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SharpenRake

Glasgow V Sheffield Lc Semi 1st Leg 30 June 2015

How would Ty Proctor being here help with replacing Simon Stead?

Read the first sentence of my post.

Think Sheffield have in the main utilised the guest facility for Steady really well this season, however nobody can replace him both for his scores and leadership within the pits. He was immense at the start of this season 6 maximums out of 7 says it all. Sheffield are weakened regardless of guest

I think you are missing TaylorJs point, she is basically saying that if a rider is going to be out for any considerable length of time then that team, whoever it is, should be forced into signing someone else whether it weakens them or not., maybe its time to think about relaxing the rules for signing EL riders.

I know there is a shortage of "top class" riders but this is bordering on silly now, look at Brady Kurtz, it doesn't matter who wins the league he will probably have ridden for them at some point and will get a medal anyway :D

• Like 4

I think you are missing TaylorJs point, she is basically saying that if a rider is going to be out for any considerable length of time then that team, whoever it is, should be forced into signing someone else whether it weakens them or not., maybe its time to think about relaxing the rules for signing EL riders.

I know there is a shortage of "top class" riders but this is bordering on silly now, look at Brady Kurtz, it doesn't matter who wins the league he will probably have ridden for them at some point and will get a medal anyway :D

Its not just the Guest rider situation that is becoming a problem there is also the doubling up that causes problems as well.

Add to that the strict points limit, the sport is run on the obsession of trying to level teams which can make the sport either attractive or not depending on how you feel about the situation.

Allow more Elite League riders into the Premier League is not answer in my opinion because you are going to get more and more fixture clashes for doubling up riders, unless the Elite was going to run one night only.

As for Sheffield I think if Ty Proctor had not received his marching orders I think you would have seen a full Sheffield 1 to 7 when David Bellego returned.

• Like 2

Its not just the Guest rider situation that is becoming a problem there is also the doubling up that causes problems as well.

Add to that the strict points limit, the sport is run on the obsession of trying to level teams which can make the sport either attractive or not depending on how you feel about the situation.

Allow more Elite League riders into the Premier League is not answer in my opinion because you are going to get more and more fixture clashes for doubling up riders, unless the Elite was going to run one night only.

As for Sheffield I think if Ty Proctor had not received his marching orders I think you would have seen a full Sheffield 1 to 7 when David Bellego returned.

Agreed the Ty Proctor situation was rubbish . You can get riders like Konopka plying their trade over here , blatently not good enough , and a rider who has been a steady rider in both the EL and PL for years , is forced out .

The guest situation is farcical , but what other option is there ? People are quick to condemn it , but nobody has yet come up with a sensible solution to it .

Ultimately the scenario with doubling up / down / sideways / will have to come to a halt as it's not working . The fast track reserve thingy isn't working either as you're going to get the same core of riders doing it year after year after year .

The whole structure of our league system needs a complete overhaul and if the solution is a 16 to 18 team league with no GP riders and a strict pay structure , then so be it .

As for Sheffield using a guest all season - how can they possibly replace Simon Stead ? So under the current conditions , they have no alternative but to keep on doing what they're doing .

• Like 7

Barker, Vissing, Howe, Heeps, Allen, Auty, Stead, Smith, Skidmore, Boxall, Douglas - lots of replacements required, so why not relax the qualifying criteria for non EU riders? It wouldn't solve every problem, but would help surely.

Weather forecast still looking good, so moving from the Sunday looks like a good move - Sunday's practise was cancelled due to the weather. Just need the right result now :wink:

Team on a high at moment so hopefully we can keep things close and set up a brilliant second leg at Owlerton next month.

Exactly Ekimba , my point exactly, love the Brady comment :rofl::D

One rule that certainly needs changing, the fact teams can have a guest at no1 throughout the season handpicking the most on form rider to guest :rolleyes: . Stead, Allen, Auty ..... You should be made to replace riders after a certain amount of time !!!!

I agree but not sure Auty is the best example, he is only due to miss 7 meetings.

what's going on at Glasgow?

what's going on at Glasgow?

Updates says there seems to be too much dirt on the track and the riders are struggling to handle it. bend 3 causing problems.

Falls for Birks, Compton, Morris, Sissis, Garrity, Sarjeant and Bellego.

Ashley Birks and Nick Morris have both withdrawn with injury.

Edited by mdmc82