British Speedway Forum
drvortexz

Somerset And The Confederate Flag

Yeah....they sh*t. Just like the dirty cats that empty their bowels in my garden! :cry:

get a dog,,, :)

My god, sorry but there are some truly ignorant Brits in this thread.

The Confederate battle flag is a symbol of hate and bigotry - and is being (finally) taken down from the public square across this country. The heritage being celebrated is one of slave owning whites.

The use of the flag as part of the logo for a sports team, anywhere, is simply not appropriate. It's time for Somerset to retire the flag, the nickname etc and become something else.

Just because you are in the UK makes no difference at all.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25228412/doug-baldwin-on-rebel-flag-what-does-southern-heritage-really-mean

Ever heard of the civil rights movement? In the late 40's, the flag was an adopted symbol of the segregationist Dixiecrat party. Article 4 of their platform stated, "We stand for the segregation of the races." In 1956, the battle flag was a prominent feature on the redesign of Georgia's state flag partly in response to the Supreme Court's ruling to desegregate schools just two years earlier. They have since removed it. The argument we hear today is that the flag represents "Southern Heritage" and "Southern Pride". The only relevant "heritage" I could find in history not pertaining to civil war was associated with racism and segregation. Is this the heritage and pride you speak of?

That brings me full circle. By understanding the significant historical symbolism of Robert E. Lee's battle flag, we can easily identify the various messages that flying the flag represents. But to all of you exercising your right to freedom of speech, do you even know what you are supporting? To those arguing against the flag, make sure your argument is based on the facts.

I'm sure there are those individuals that understand what the flag stands for and still support it. And to that group I say, may God bless you because I'm having a hard time with grace myself. As a 26 year old who grew up in the south around many supporters of the confederate flag, I would like to ask those same people to answer this question: What does southern pride and heritage really mean? Is it the sweet tea and hospitality? Or is this a sense of pride for the rebellious actions against a national government who had the audacity to say that secession was unconstitutional and slavery was wrong? Furthermore, I'd like to ask, how does this symbol which produces such a strong feeling of offense by those who were oppressed under it, best represent that pride and heritage? If you can answer these questions and defend this flag in a way that isn't rooted in a sense of emotional, stubborn, pride for the oppressive intent this flag has represented in the past, then I'll gladly commend you for it. But until then, I'll be patiently waiting for the day ignorance can educate itself and will do my part to try and educate it in an assertive, respectful manner.

• Like 2

All this fuss about the confederate flag, it wasn't an issue for left wingers when it was used by the Democrats Bill Clinton and Al Gore.

http://www.exploringthenews.com/breaking-news/their-rules-when-will-the-media-ask-hillary-about-bill-clintons-problematic-relationship-with-the-confederate-flag

So if Bill Clinton and Al Gore saw fit to use it, no problems for Somerset!

That is ridiculous!

What was the Confederacy fighting for in the Civil War?

Comparing the Confederate flag to race jackets with "cartoon" devil and hitmen logos is absurd. They are two completely different things.

Would you be happy with a team to have a swastika logo on their race jacket?

Accusing someone "of ridiculous political correctness" because they are not happy to accept something that more and more people find unacceptable is a pretty lame argument

I completely agree with your first paragraph but not your second.

Racism is still a problem in this country and so casually using the Confederate flag anywhere as a logo is still an issue, I think.

I'll refer you to TWK's eloquent arguments on the subject of the Confederacy's war aims.

Somerset have had that logo for 17 years and Oxford and White City had it before them. I have never heard a single complaint about it until this thread, and that's almost certainly provoked by an evil maniac sporting the Confederacy flag killing innocent people in Charleston and the reaction to it in the USA. As I have said, there are those who have twisted its use to their own ends.

The difference between the Confederacy Flag and the Swastika in this country at least is incalculable, and you know that only too well. I doubt if many people from this country know more about the Southern Cross than is it is something to do with the southern states of the USA. The swastika will be known to almost all as the symbol of tyranny, mass murder and genocide.

I have never heard of anyone - until this thread - objecting to the Confederacy flag on any grounds whatsoever.

T

• Like 2

I'll refer you to TWK's eloquent arguments on the subject of the Confederacy's war aims.

Somerset have had that logo for 17 years and Oxford and White City had it before them. I have never heard a single complaint about it until this thread, and that's almost certainly provoked by an evil maniac sporting the Confederacy flag killing innocent people in Charleston and the reaction to it in the USA. As I have said, there are those who have twisted its use to their own ends.

The difference between the Confederacy Flag and the Swastika in this country at least is incalculable, and you know that only too well. I doubt if many people from this country know more about the Southern Cross than is it is something to do with the southern states of the USA. The swastika will be known to almost all as the symbol of tyranny, mass murder and genocide.

I have never heard of anyone - until this thread - objecting to the Confederacy flag on any grounds whatsoever.

T

If I'm being totally honest, I'd not even noticed that it was, it's a team emblem to me. No need to make out it's anything else....Simple as that!

The Dukes of Hazzard programmes have been ditched, and Walmart etc have withdrawn all merchandise because of the Confederate flag issue, obviously being taken very seriously in the US

• Like 1

T

As I stated, one of their reasons for seeking secession was the slavery issue.

Ignorance of what the flag has come to represent isn't really an excuse.

As a side issue, over 13% of the British population is "non-white". This is certainly not reflected in the attendances at the tracks or those competing on them.

so what conclusions can we draw from this?

I

So, in your opinion, you have to be black to be offended by it then?

Yes, and American. It has no relevance in the UK and frankly is the least of speedway's worries.

• Like 2

Yes, and American.

...and a 19th century slave.

And I'm not aware of many 19th century black American slaves in British Speedway, so I don't think we've anything to worry about

• Like 4

Isn'the symbol in reverse for Hindus and Buddists?

No, if not both religions, then in one of them its definitely used both right facing and left facing.

when the flags designer, Wiliiam T Thompson suggested the design to be used he wrote this about the flag in the newspaper in which he was a co-founder and a writer of.

"As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause… Such a flag…would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as THE WHITE MAN'S FLAG.… As a national emblem, it is significant of our higher cause, the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity, and barbarism."

Is my username offensive to some people on this forum. If it is, maybe they should strip white city of the 1977 league championship, and remove the oxford rebels from the speedway history books!

• Like 1

The Dukes of Hazzard programmes have been ditched, and Walmart etc have withdrawn all merchandise because of the Confederate flag issue, obviously being taken very seriously in the US

No it isn't. If the Yanks took spree killings seriously they'd be doing something about gun control. The flag business is just displacement activity.

If US sports teams like the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Indians change their nicknames then, and only then, would I start to believe it might be time to think about rebranding the Rebels

• Like 2