British Speedway Forum
hammers66

New To Speedway And Surprised At The Negativity, Are Things Really That Bad?

I completely disagree. Many forum members have memories of when speedway was better attended, when English/British riders were the best in the world, when speedway was held in Wembley and not just for a 'one-off' annual meeting. Forum members are not moaning about speedway necessarily, but are lamenting about how speedway was. We want those days back, but I am afraid, they may be gone forever. If the new generation of speedway fans think they can turn things around, then I truly wish you all the luck in the world and hope it happens.

Top post, RS - if only we could go to our local track EVERY week, see "our" team instead of one filled with other teams riders; meet the riders in the bar afterwards instead of them jetting off to foreign parts; a proper Knock Out Cup competition; league champions the team with the most match points; have enough local tracks to run regional cup comps and individual events; each track having one BIG individual meeting; special days out to the Internationale and World Final, yet with none of the "carnival" that the SGP has become

There was a lot to be said for the old "club" setup in British speedway

From this old grump :neutral:

• Like 4

Perhaps that is because there is very little good to say about Speedway at present E I Addio. Falling Crowds, silly Rules all contribute to the way Speedway is going downhill. There are lots of people who have their heads in the sand - but - and it is the first time I have said this, others have said it on here often enough, our Sport is dying.

It gives me no pleasure at all to say this.

You imply some people on here just moan for the sake it, you are wrong. A lot of people moan on here because they can see the way Speedway is going - to hell in a handcart, and like me are desperately sad about it.

I passionately love Speedway but I refuse to go any more. Why is this? In my case, solely because of the Double Points Rule, I know that I am not alone in this. Other folk have other reasons, poor Stadia, disgusting Toilets, Promoters taking Supporters for granted, Promotions bending or even breaking Rules to suit themselves, constant changing of Rules, no consistency in Refereeing. I could go on.

When something is done to address these and other wrongs perhaps, just perhaps, some people would return. If they scrapped the Double Points Rule altogether - I know I would.

On the contrary , I think it gives you great pleasure to have a dig.. Nobody has said that the state of the sport is ideal, or that the rules are perfect, but most agree there are few experiences like the smell of methanol,, the noise of tortured Jawa's and GM's , the moment of tension as they come under starters orders, or the spectacle of 4 riders in bucking speed irons with no brakes on an unstable surface for One hot Minute.

Unfortunately the best you can come up with for not attending a sport you are purportedly passionate about is you don't like the double points rule. As has been pointed out endless times on here the double points rule is less unfair than the tactical substitute rule that preceded it for decades and you must have been going to speedway for years and years under the old TS rule. TBH I loathe the TR rule but some people like it and any mature person would have to accept that when there are a thousand or more other people attending any event there will be differing opinions and you cant have everything your own way. You have to get along with people.As much as I hate the TR rule myself I have to admit that in its present form its probably less unfair than its ever been and if you are going to let that keep you away fair enough but moaning on a forum is not going to change it. I doubt you have advised the SCB of you views.

As Halifax Tiger said most of the constant complainers are those who never go anymore, but my original comment was really aimed at those who come on here after virtually every TV and whose command of the ENGLISH language is limited to " It was crap!", which as I said before leads on to wonder why they don't flick mover to another channel if its that bad.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

Yes we would all like to go back to the days when we were younger, the summers were longer, and the music was better. From what I remember about those days though there were always old boys in the crowd at every stadium telling us it was better when they were young and there were real men like Jack Parker and Split Waterman on the track.. I have books that tell me how great the sport was when Cyclone Billy Lamont and Cordy Milne wee riding so maybe we ought to get rid of GM's and have everyone leg trailing Douglases an and Scotts to see if that brings the crowds back.

The fact is that nostalgia aint what it used to be and the central theme of perennial moaners, not just in speedway but in every walk of life is that whatever they are moaning about was better in the past. Unless you can invent a time machine the past wont be coming back so we have deal with the present which, incidental is what the thread is about, otherwise it would be in the years gone by section.

My dad used to watch West Ham when he was a teenager and yes, he was dewy-eyed about the riders he saw at Custom House, but as a 30/40 something he enjoyed the speedway at Rayleigh stadium and can't really remember him moaning, unless it was early season and it was a bit on the chilly side!

On the contrary , I think it gives you great pleasure to have a dig.. Nobody has said that the state of the sport is ideal, or that the rules are perfect, but most agree there are few experiences like the smell of methanol,, the noise of tortured Jawa's and GM's , the moment of tension as they come under starters orders, or the spectacle of 4 riders in bucking speed irons with no brakes on an unstable surface for One hot Minute.

Unfortunately the best you can come up with for not attending a sport you are purportedly passionate about is you don't like the double points rule. As has been pointed out endless times on here the double points rule is less unfair than the tactical substitute rule that preceded it for decades and you must have been going to speedway for years and years under the old TS rule. TBH I loathe the TR rule but some people like it and any mature person would have to accept that when there are a thousand or more other people attending any event there will be differing opinions and you cant have everything your own way. You have to get along with people.As much as I hate the TR rule myself I have to admit that in its present form its probably less unfair than its ever been and if you are going to let that keep you away fair enough but moaning on a forum is not going to change it. I doubt you have advised the SCB of you views.

As Halifax Tiger said most of the constant complainers are those who never go anymore, but my original comment was really aimed at those who come on here after virtually every TV and whose command of the ENGLISH language is limited to " It was crap!", which as I said before leads on to wonder why they don't flick mover to another channel if its that bad.

I like the TR, it also gives teams a chance to avoid it,,, although the old T/S (joker) was good :)

Dead right :approve:

Tsunami told me years ago that its about 4 blokes on bikes without brakes for 4 laps for 3 points and that everything else is more or less fluff.

Best and most profound statement I have ever heard about the sport and as valid and correct today as its ever been.

Fluff can be very irritating and annoying HT. :sad:

Yes we would all like to go back to the days when we were younger, the summers were longer, and the music was better. From what I remember about those days though there were always old boys in the crowd at every stadium telling us it was better when they were young and there were real men like Jack Parker and Split Waterman on the track.. I have books that tell me how great the sport was when Cyclone Billy Lamont and Cordy Milne wee riding so maybe we ought to get rid of GM's and have everyone leg trailing Douglases an and Scotts to see if that brings the crowds back.

The fact is that nostalgia aint what it used to be and the central theme of perennial moaners, not just in speedway but in every walk of life is that whatever they are moaning about was better in the past. Unless you can invent a time machine the past wont be coming back so we have deal with the present which, incidental is what the thread is about, otherwise it would be in the years gone by section.

It is provable that it was better in the past. You only have to look at the number of really TOP CLASS Riders who ply their profession in this Country these days compared to then. Or will you contest that as well.

i) You are judging me and my motives - you can't do that. You don't know me. :nono:

ii) Tell me any other way I can make my point other than voting with my feet. I hate the Rule and I get angry every time I see the 'Black and White' Helmet Cover. I don't see why I should pay to get myself angry - do you? I am supposed to go to Speedway to enjoy myself - not get annoyed and upset. Suffice to say that I am comfortable with my decision. It's over a year now since I went to a Meeting, and I am missing it less and less.

Perhaps I, like so many others, am lost to the Sport for good.

iii) I have complained to THREE different Promoters regarding the Double Points Rule. Much good it did me.

The Sport is just to complicated for it's own good.

It feels totally like an individual sport rather than a team sport.

I've always wanted to see bulk standard factory non tuned engines bolted into a frame....and then just raced.

I used to be really into the sport...travelling the length and breadth of the country. Knew all the riders...the in's and out's of averages and Club politics.

It did my head in...the best advise someone gave me, like has been said before...just watch 4 blokes racing and forget the rest.

Don't buy a programme...don't follow the results or scores....just watch the racing. It was quiet a moment.

I for one, would never say the end product is crap. I appreciate the sport is dangerous and the riders put on the best show they can and I enjoy speedway whatever level I watch it at. The racing I have no issue with. But it doesn't stop me wishing it was like it was 'yesteryear'. When we had 2 leagues that were full of home grown talent. When teams virtually stayed together from one season to another. When local riders rode for their local team. When the stadiums had half decent attendances. And as has been said, many individual meetings that had meaning and were popular. There is much more I could say. That is what I miss! But, yes the basic product is still there, but for me, I want the 'old fluff' as well!

• Like 2

I for one, would never say the end product is crap. I appreciate the sport is dangerous and the riders put on the best show they can and I enjoy speedway whatever level I watch it at. The racing I have no issue with. But it doesn't stop me wishing it was like it was 'yesteryear'. When we had 2 leagues that were full of home grown talent. When teams virtually stayed together from one season to another. When local riders rode for their local team. When the stadiums had half decent attendances. And as has been said, many individual meetings that had meaning and were popular. There is much more I could say. That is what I miss! But, yes the basic product is still there, but for me, I want the 'old fluff' as well!

Well said Mr.Stadia...certainly the bit about the home-grown talent that fans could identify with, and rode for the team for years, and then you could go into the pits and get the autographs of your heroes, but were too shy to say anything! Nowadays just some half-hearted waves from some mercenaries who want to make a quick exit to ride in Poland, Sweden, Denmark etc., The racing is as good as and faster than ever!

Edited by haydon hat
  • Like 1

Fluff can be very irritating and annoying HT. :sad:

Didn't stop me marvelling at Tai Woffinden's incredible last to first on Saturday night, seeing Matej Zagar at his sublime best at Belle Vue (because when he's good, he's very, very good), watching Jack Holder hold off Simon Stead for three laps at Sheffield or witnessing a terrific race between Danny Halsey and Kyle Hughes at King's Lynn.

Great speedway at every level of our sport and not affected by fluff in the slightest.

And that's the point. As far as I am concerned, the rule bending, the cheating, the backbiting and the viciousness simply doesn't exist when those four blokes drop their clutches.

I have a lot of regard for you, Ian, you know that. But for the life of me I can't grasp the mentality of walking away from the sport that you have admitted you love for the sake of one rule.

Well said Mr.Stadia...certainly the bit about the home-grown talent that fans could identify with, and rode for the team for years, and then you could go into the pits and get the autographs of your heroes, but were too shy to say anything! Nowadays just some half-hearted waves from some mercenaries who want to make a quick exit to ride in Poland, Sweden, Denmark etc., The racing is as good as and faster than ever!

In the overwhelming majority of cases, that's simply not true.

On Friday night, a friend of mine posted pictures on Facebook of her little girl with first Danny King and then Rohan Tungate and that is repeated across the sport.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

Of course the real reason for any negativity is down to the Edinburgh Monarchs . Every year they manage to fluke out a good side , some years annoyingly good . Until they become a diddy team the sport will always have a nasty taste in it's mouth :P

• Like 2

I don't disagree with any of that, but there is a difference between nostalgia and moaning for the sake of moaning, there are certain ones that invariably make the same disparaging comments after every TV meetingirrespective of whether it was good or bad. One wonders why they bother.

• Like 1

Didn't stop me marvelling at Tai Woffinden's incredible last to first on Saturday night, seeing Matej Zagar at his sublime best at Belle Vue (because when he's good, he's very, very good), watching Jack Holder hold off Simon Stead for three laps at Sheffield or witnessing a terrific race between Danny Halsey and Kyle Hughes at King's Lynn.

Great speedway at every level of our sport and not affected by fluff in the slightest.

And that's the point. As far as I am concerned, the rule bending, the cheating, the backbiting and the viciousness simply doesn't exist when those four blokes drop their clutches.

I have a lot of regard for you, Ian, you know that. But for the life of me I can't grasp the mentality of walking away from the sport that you have admitted you love for the sake of one rule.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, that's simply not true.

On Friday night, a friend of mine posted pictures on Facebook of her little girl with first Danny King and then Rohan Tungate and that is repeated across the sport.

Used to enjoy chatting to the riders in the bar, pits and car park at Worky, especially guys like Steady, Wrighty, Stoney, Aidan Collins, Rusty Harrison, Woody, Kauko Niemenen, great bunch of dudes, but appreciate some speak little English, and there is now stricter security at some tracks to stop fans accessing the pits areas.

Swindon used to have riders going into the crowd afterwards to sign autographs, now that doesn't happen. Needs to be more interacting between riders and fans, especially the kids.

There was a lot to be said for the old "club" setup in British speedway

From this old grump :neutral:

Well said Midland Red.

When we had 2 leagues that were full of home grown talent. When teams virtually stayed together from one season to another. When local riders rode for their local team.

My thoughts as well Ray Stadia.

Edited by Guest

Dead right :approve:

Tsunami told me years ago that its about 4 blokes on bikes without brakes for 4 laps for 3 points and that everything else is more or less fluff.

Best and most profound statement I have ever heard about the sport and as valid and correct today as its ever been.

Sadly 'the fluff' includes getting those '4 blokes on bikes without brakes for 4 laps for 3 points' into a 'team framework' which, as is clearly proven week in, week out, cannot be achieved without a huge lack of the integrity required when putting teams out to compete in a professional league...

Those who love watching the '4 blokes' race find themselves thinking 'but why do it and what is it all for'? when one of the teams they see has, for example, five riders from other teams riding for them...

As Kelvin T said last week, 'it's a great sport when it is done well'...

Never have truer words been said...

Speedway, in this country, just needs to find a way to do it 'well' consistently around the country...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

It did my head in...the best advise someone gave me, like has been said before...just watch 4 blokes racing and forget the rest.

If it were just four blokes riding round in circles, I'd lose interest pretty quickly and it's one of the reasons I have little interest in individual racing. Team racing adds all sorts of dimensions, and I think team riding, substitutions and other strategy keeps interest even if the racing itself isn't spectacular. Teams also allow for better continuity - individual riders come-and-go, but fans can establish allegiances to teams over many years.

The problem is the concept of team speedway has been damaged by lack of continuity, scheduling conflicts, punitive team building restrictions, inconsistent application of the rules, and so on...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 3