British Speedway Forum
tigerowl

Saturday Night At The Speedway

YES, what else do you suggest to cover injuries then? Cancel meetings til everyone is OK?

Most speedway devotees (me included) would trot that line out but it does show why it's difficult to sell the sport to newbies, specially if they're indoctrinated into the 'one man - one team' mindset.

• Like 1

Great post....and one of the main reasons why when you try to 'sell' Speedway to friends and workmates, their eyes just glaze over and they go back to talking about their ball games! Either that or they burst out in incredulous laughter.

If you are trying to sell speedway to a non fan then they surely wouldn't have a clue about guests and doubling up riders...why would they ?.....it's only people who actually go that are aware of those issues so they are only an issue once people are actually attracted through the turnstiles in the first place and that seems to be the really hard part.

Most people when I mention speedway to, and I go back to the 70's here as well, just say oh it's the first rider out of the start that always wins isn't it ........that sums up most people's initial impression of speedway.

• Like 5

Most speedway devotees (me included) would trot that line out but it does show why it's difficult to sell the sport to newbies, specially if they're indoctrinated into the 'one man - one team' mindset.

That maybe so ..the trouble we have is that a lot moaning but no one has come up with a Alternative solution.

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

Is everyone enjoying their speedway?

Lovin' it! A guest in a different class to the absent rider, the best prepared track we've had for ages, track record equalled then broken twice. What's not to like?

• Like 2

The simple fact is there are not enough riders to go round and it is only going to get worse as youngsters are not interested to becoming a speedway rider.

• Like 1

If you're going to have half of every team riding in more than one league, common sense would suggest you arrange for the leagues to be run on different nights?

I'm hopeful that the BEL promoters are looking at 2 nights a week but of course that hasn't happened yet! And if it happens at all it won't be an easy transition .....

If you are trying to sell speedway to a non fan then they surely wouldn't have a clue about guests and doubling up riders...why would they ?.....it's only people who actually go that are aware of those issues so they are only an issue once people are actually attracted through the turnstiles in the first place and that seems to be the really hard part.

Most people when I mention speedway to, and I go back to the 70's here as well, just say oh it's the first rider out of the start that always wins isn't it ........that sums up most people's initial impression of speedway.

The likelihood of somebody passing by the gates of a speedway venue just as a meeting is about to start and deciding, on the spur of the moment, to have a look-see for the first time is somewhat remote so, In the modern age, most folk, when thinking of going to something new will have a look on the net and read something about it. It wouldn't take very long to work out, from looking at the BSPA site, that there's something unusual about the make-up of teams.

But of course not every race, every meeting is first out of the gate wins ......

The lack of 'one night' speedway is one of the main reasons 'guests' exist...

If all the EL matches took place on the same night then riders in the EL couldnt ride for anyone but their own team..

Look at Poland on a Sunday and Sweden on a Tuesday....

However just because you CAN do it, shouldnt mean you do....

No one can really take seriously a sport that is only one step below the WWE in relation to contriving the outcome of matches....

Maybe watching any four riders racing four laps in the name of 'sports entertainment' rather than it masquerading as a professional team sport is the answer?

In fact, thinking out loud, you could have someone like Jason Garrity shouting into the camera before a race "I'm mad for it me!", "Get outta my way Noddy coz I'm comin' through!!!"....

Could catch on.... :o:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

That maybe so ..the trouble we have is that a lot moaning but no one has come up with a Alternative solution.

we are fans, its for the powers that be to start filling in the hole, not keep digging it surely.

5 man teams is the next thing no doubt.

Edited by Arson fire

It may not be possible at some stadiums because of their local staffing arrangements even if there are vacant nights at the venues. How would you overcome that?

You start with a statement of intent. EL on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. PL on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

If even half the clubs who currently ride on an "off night" are able to move, this would significantly reduce the number of riders missing due to clashes.

Then over time, as clubs re-negotiate their lease agreements with their landlords, they know which night(s) they should be aiming at.

It's not rocket science, but it take a genuine desire from promoters to reduce riders missing meetings.

• Like 1

Can't u sell the sport from a rider's point of view, racing inches apart, no brakes, no gears, injuries, riding hurt, show them pics of injuries etc etc They make it look easy, it's not!

If you're going to have half of every team riding in more than one league, common sense would suggest you arrange for the leagues to be run on different nights?

How would you arrange that when most promotions ae only tenants at stadiums which have other uses?

The amount of money that has, come into and out of, the sport in the past 80+ years, most tracks should be in a position whereby they own their own stadiums. At times when the sport was booming more should have been done to put the sport in a better financial position.

A small levy, put into a building fund, would have meant the BSPA(or some similar body) would have been the owners of many former tracks. Whether it was lack of foresight, or just pure greed on the part of previous generations of promoters, I'll leave for others to decide. But after 80+ years, there really should be more stand alone tracks.

The sport has been badly let down by previous generations of promoters.

• Like 2

Can't u sell the sport from a rider's point of view, racing inches apart, no brakes, no gears, injuries, riding hurt, show them pics of injuries etc etc They make it look easy, it's not!

Folk already know the bit you mention if they're the slightest bit interested - most likely, they'd have watched some on the telly.

I've sold the sport often enough, mainly in the past when the only way to find out was to go. That's no longer the case with televised meetings and the interweb.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

At least all eight Elite League tracks had a home meeting last week... how often does that happen?

The fact that its's notable that all EL tracks ran a meeting in the same week in the height of summer shows what a desperate situation we are in.

Weekly speedway, 30 meetings a year. How did we ever manage? Isn't 'the future' wonderful?