British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe: Best Speedway Racing In The Uk?

SCUNTHORPE’s Eddie Wright Raceway provides the best racing in the country.

Who says so? The longest-travelled supporter for the home fixtures of the FluidAir Power Scorpions, supported by Henderson Insurance.

Brian Schofield travels from Llandudno in Wales to the North Lincolnshire track for the majority of the fixtures at the EWR.

He says: “The distance I travel to each Scunthorpe meeting is 360 miles there-and-back. It takes around three to three-and-a-half hours to get there, including picking up my friends in Bury.

“I always liked the track at Scunthorpe and decided to make it my second track. Belle Vue is my No 1 track and has been for 53 years.

“I consider Scunthorpe to be the best racing track in the country. Peterborough and Somerset also come high up in my estimation, but not quite as good as Scunthorpe. As a consequence, I am prepared to travel to Scunthorpe every week provided the forecast is good enough.”

Brian has the statistics to back up his claims.

As a real speedway enthusiast, he has travelled 142 meetings so far in 2014 and 2015, and for 134 of those meetings, he has statistics on the number of good races and number of passes after the first half lap.

119 of those meetings have been team meetings (the rest being individual meetings, pairs, fours, etc). The averages number of passes from the team meetings has been 15.57 per meeting.

For the 22 first team Scunthorpe Scorpions fixtures he has attended in 2014 and 2015, the number of passes is well above average – at 20.41 passes per meeting.

And of the 119 team meetings, the top five with the most passes (after the first half lap) are as follows:

1. May 15, 2015: Scunthorpe v Rye House (36-54). 11 good races; 39 passes.

2. July 17, 2015: Scunthorpe v Ipswich (43-47). 13 good races; 35 passes.

3. June 22, 2014: Torun v Czestochowa (56-34). 12 good races: 34 passes.

4= August 31, 2014: Scunthorpe v Workington (53-37). 10 good races; 32 passes.

4= August 26, 2014: Peterborough v Plymouth (51-31). 8 good races; 32 passes.

Three entries for Scunthorpe in the top five, with Peterborough the only other British track to appear.

So there you go. Scunthorpe Speedway statistically proven as the best racing track in the UK. What are you waiting for? Make your way to the track in Normanby Road before the end of the season, to experience the thrills of a meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway!

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Think there is a good few riders out there that will have a different opinion on that one.

Think there is a good few riders out there that will have a different opinion on that one.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was your No 1's favourite track - he seems to love Scunny and it's a track that gives him an opportunity to come from behind.

All the best

Rob

Cookie comes from behind anywhere though - even off 15m at Dry House!!

So not really the yardstick.

Smiler's not so keen.

What makes a "good race"? Is it purely passing? Seen a number of good races over the years where a rider in front hangs on to win, no passing involved, still an exciting race. Never been to Scunthorpe so I can't comment personally, although I do hear good things about it and really hope it stays open for next year and many going forward.

On a similar note, also seen a lot of races where the rider in front makes a bad error, resulting in a pass, doesn't necessarily make it a "good race".

• Like 3

Stats can be dodgy. You can have a "good race" without a pass.

Also, it's not clear if these are genuine passes, or when someone's had an EF, or passed a slower team mate.

I've seen good meetings at most of the tracks I've been to, and thats every track in all three leagues except Belle Vue.

Edited by Shads

Wonderful track lots of lines and a great shape I think.......time we moved the 4`s there in my view if only it could house a few more.

Cookie is pretty near invincible at EWR...........and foxhall, and Hoddesdon, never mind Shielfield, Derwent at times, EOES, the list keeps growing........

Always look forward to the may bank holiday for trips to Scunny (unless I`m in Fenway)

A pass is not always good. What IMO is good is the build up to a pass or the belief there will be a pass.

That said, Scunthorpe is a brilliant race track.

I love Scunthorpe , definitely up there near the top

As long as a track isn't dangerous, I couldn't care less what riders think.

Its what spectators think that counts because they are paying customers, not paid employees.

Definitely the best in the country, and I don't need stats to prove that because I have the evidence from my own eyes.

Even a good meeting at EWR is slightly disappointing because of the quality of some I have seen.

I am up to almost 50 meetings this season at 21 different tracks and Scunthorpe v Ipswich & Scunthorpe v Peterborough are the two best I have seen.

Given that it is the best, that they keep delay to a minimum (no stupid and needless intervals there) and that they have Mr Godfrey on the mic, it will be a crying shame if they aren't racing next season.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6

Funny you should say.

A lot of riders have a 'negative' opinion about Armadale.

But their opinion doesn't seem to count then, only that of the home fans.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 1

Horses for courses george.......see you still have that chip on yer shoulder too|!!

Armadale is not everyones cup of tea.....when too slick and you can`t pass (like last Friday...it can be pants to view as chasing is all you see) but it tends to allow some passing. Ashfield has improved markedly since you widened it and credit to the new guys, for it`s less square and the 3rd bend bouncy castle has all but gone i think.

Scunny is KING and having been at the W/E I must confess a liking for Rye.........

100s id say,but that is maybe why it constantly produces good racing!!

back to the point that HT came up with,track should be prepared for entertainment

Another point is we are stuck at the foot of the Prem,but this season i think ive seen some of the best racing ive seen at the EWR

Ive often wondered if the racing is good at Scunny because alot of the riders practice on it alot so are used to it wich gives them the confidence to have a go copared to only seeing most tracks once a year

• Like 1

Errr was it not commented several times during Tungate-gate that there are always crashes leaving the second bend because everyone has to grab the same couple of feet of dirt?

Is it a popular track amongst supporters because there are crashes?

I sincerely hope not.

Same place always concerns me at Peterborough. It could do with being a couple of feet wider at that point..