British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Why are people so hung up on 'had chances before'.

If there is to be a Swedish wildcard, it should go to the best Swedish rider.. whether they've been in the series before or not shouldn't matter.

Why are people so hung up on 'had chances before'.

If there is to be a Swedish wildcard, it should go to the best Swedish rider.. whether they've been in the series before or not shouldn't matter.

If there's not a lot to pick between two riders then I'd say it's fair enough to pick a rider who hasn't had a chance before, or has had less chances. As it is, Lindback is the obvious choice, don't see how anyone else can have a claim to the place.

NOT sure any sponsors have anything to do with it but two SGPs in Sweden, including one in Stockholm, is a factor.

Plus Swedish TV of course

So who pays BSI to host the gps in Sweden? Svemo?

So who pays BSI to host the gps in Sweden? Svemo?

For Gothenrburg, I think GotEvent was the one paying for GP to Ullevi since they own the arena. I don't know about Stockholm but likely it is the arena owner there too.

For Målilla, I think the club (Målilla MK) is the one paying but I am not sure. I doubt Svemo has that kind of money anyway.

If Emil wanted to race in the GP's he would. I suspect it is about money, just as it was in the SWC. Either he wants to be world champion, or he doesn't.

For Gothenrburg, I think GotEvent was the one paying for GP to Ullevi since they own the arena. I don't know about Stockholm but likely it is the arena owner there too.

For Målilla, I think the club (Målilla MK) is the one paying but I am not sure. I doubt Svemo has that kind of money anyway.

STOCKHOLM is a BSI event as was Copenhagen

I think what trees is getting at is for instance Dansk Metals were the sponsor of the Parken GP and by coincidence Puk(also sponsored by Dansk Metals) got the wildcard one year slightly controversially according to some in Denmark over Kenneth Bjerre.That sort of thing.I mean we did have Mr Meridian also claiming as a sponsor he could get any rider he wanted into the meeting he was sponsoring,so ya know.........

Thought it probably was so BSI would definitely want two Swedes in to get the people supporting the Stockholm event.

I think what trees is getting at is for instance Dansk Metals were the sponsor of the Parken GP and by coincidence Puk(also sponsored by Dansk Metals) got the wildcard one year slightly controversially according to some in Denmark over Kenneth Bjerre.That sort of thing.I mean we did have Mr Meridian also claiming as a sponsor he could get any rider he wanted into the meeting he was sponsoring,so ya know.........

The money has to come from somewhere eh. Unless it's a BSI event ......

Thought it probably was so BSI would definitely want two Swedes in to get the people supporting the Stockholm event.

Maybe even more so when it is a BSI event.They won't want to be losing money.........

There has been three Swedes on both of the two GP's that have been held at Friends. Despite that, last year's attendance was down from the first year.

I think the lack of Swedes fighting for the victory in that actual GP and in the total series have a bigger impact then the number of Swedes riding.

BOTH lack of quantity and quality right now I'm afraid. Sweden are pretty much where Britain was before the emergence of Woffinden. And it's much more of a problem at Stockholm than Malilla where the costs are massively lower and a smaller crowd is viable.

Tony Rickardsson at the Friends Arena ... how he would have pulled in the fans!

Haven't heard from Mr Meridian in a long while but I'm sure he wouldn't try to influence wild cards.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

BOTH lack of quantity and quality right now I'm afraid. Sweden are pretty much where Britain was before the emergence of Woffinden. And it's much more of a problem at Stockholm than Malilla where the costs are massively lower and a smaller crowd is viable.

Tony Rickardsson at the Friends Arena ... how he would have pulled in the fans!

Haven't heard from Mr Meridian in a long while but I'm sure he wouldn't try to influence wild cards.

Sweden are World Cup Team Champions,hardly puts them in the same boat as GB.IMO
  • Like 1

Sweden is a nation that tends to rise to the occasion in world cup finals..david ruud had a stunning performance a few years back when ricko pulled out and went on to win the world cup, I think (maybe wrong) peter ljung also in that line up

In terms of dragging fans to GPs they are where we were.

And they won it on Danish soil which I`m sure made it all the sweeter, though at individual level Sweden are poor. Jonsson currently outside the top eight, and there`s hardly a Swedish rider deserving of a wild card pick, especially giving the performance of Lindback in Saturday`s GP Challenge.