British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Belle Vue -v- Swindon Monday 17th August

Rossiter is correct that the ref was poor. After Zagar was disqualified when he and Max tangled as they came off the home straight, many fans around me were unsure why all four back wasn't called. I explained that some refs can and do disqualify riders in these situation it's just a pain as all ref don't do the same so the lack of consistency causes confusion. As soon a Ward took Stefan off I said "oh o" looks like he's out, but no. He then did the same when Morris took Steve off so it seemed, if you were a robin it wasn't a problem. Lack of consistency with the same meeting doesn't sit well with me especially if it favours one team.

I've never been as pleased to see the opposition take a 5-1 than in heat 13. I'm pretty certain the ref would still be running it now until the desired result was reached.

Heat 14 will more than likely see the ref face a disciplinary as all of it was just awful.

I'm still waiting for and answer to why Craig was disqualified after the race was stopped following Zengot's disqualification. ???

Rossiter is correct that the ref was poor. After Zagar was disqualified when he and Max tangled as they came off the home straight, many fans around me were unsure why all four back wasn't called. I explained that some refs can and do disqualify riders in these situation it's just a pain as all ref don't do the same so the lack of consistency causes confusion. As soon a Ward took Stefan off I said "oh o" looks like he's out, but no. He then did the same when Morris took Steve off so it seemed, if you were a robin it wasn't a problem. Lack of consistency with the same meeting doesn't sit well with me especially if it favours one team.

I've never been as pleased to see the opposition take a 5-1 than in heat 13. I'm pretty certain the ref would still be running it now until the desired result was reached.

Heat 14 will more than likely see the ref face a disciplinary as all of it was just awful.

I'm still waiting for and answer to why Craig was disqualified after the race was stopped following Zengot's disqualification. ???

Ref was completely correct excluding Zagar, Fricke the gate off gate 4 and Zagar off gate 2 went wide and rode straight into Fricke putting them both in the fence.

Yeh, that's what I said to those around me.

It's quite often the case that the rider on gate four can come unstuck with three riders inside him. Just glad, Max, Steph & Steve were ok after their falls.

You should have stood on the third bend, it was much more interesting. The tannoy wasn't working so no-one had a clue what was going on, which prompted a great deal of ridiculous and bizarre speculation.

That's a good point.... A fit rider has to have a minimum of 3 rides (does he?)

If he gets excluded for a tapes or 2 minutes offence, in the last available race that his 3rd race can take place in, what happens then? Is this the cause of the unrest over the Cookgate incident last night.......?

Pretty straightforward actually basically the race starts with 3 riders.

18.15.7 In order that a Rider takes the "minimum" number of rides, then changes must be made to a Heat Line up, (excluding any nominated or Highest Scorers Heat) or sufficient Heats must start with no replacements.

Pretty straightforward actually basically the race starts with 3 riders.

18.15.7 In order that a Rider takes the "minimum" number of rides, then changes must be made to a Heat Line up, (excluding any nominated or Highest Scorers Heat) or sufficient Heats must start with no replacements.

So was Cook excluded on 2 minutes or not? If he was then it should have been 3 riders only - which only gives a swing of 3 points and BV still win. Looks like the referee had a shocker. I read Rosco's comments and I can't understand what issue anyone could have with what he has said because it seems to be a fair reflection of things (which others who attended have agreed with).

• Like 1

Cook was excluded and a reserve put in to replace him.The fact that whoever, including the referee, thought he could be replaced confirmed his match was over, so why shouldn't he go and get showered. The race was even started with Worrall but had to be rerun and it was only then that the question arose as to whether Cook had to have a third ride. In those circumstances he had to be given time.

Certainly Belle Vue wouldn't have raised it and obviously the ref was unaware so my guess is that it was Rosco who raised the issue of Cook needing a third ride, thinking Wight would beat him given a 15 metre start and Cook's poor performance up to that point. Unfortunately, it backfired and so instead of accepting it in good grace he feels peeved.

That's a fair post . Of course we only have Rosco's word for it that Cook stormed off in a temper and threw his toys out of the pram. The other side of the coin is that's rider needs permission of the Clerk of the Course to leave the pits. Now if Cook had been incorrectly given permission the it's understandable that he should come back because it's not his mistake. If he did leave the pits withouT the CoC' s permission how come Rosco didn't mention that ?

So what is the truth if the matter. According to Rosco's rant on the.Swindon website Cook slammed the dressing room door so hard he took the door clean off its hinges . Really ? Frankly I find, that very difficult to belive. For one thing if Rsoco was in the pits he wouldn't know what happened when Cook was in the changing room. Secondly it s very difficult indeed to take a door off BOTH hinges unless it's loose anyway. Thirdly if the door was taken off its hinges someone else must know about it but we only have Rosco's word on this when he clearly wasn't there to see what happened.

Unless someone knows something about the door coming off its hinges or Cook storming off without permission of the CoC Its looks like another one of Rosco's rants that we have seen with increasing frequency in the last few years.

It's a shame to read Rosco's comments. Sounds like a bad loser.

" In victory- magnaminity, in defeat-defiannce". - Winston Churchill

"In victory- go round crowing about it, in defeat- have a rant". - Rosco

Hartley Hare....you have to be certain age :)

I'm of that certain age !....my old favourite when I was at school........showed him to my kids via YouTube and they were horrified....something out of a horror movie they said !......I never felt like that back in my childhood !

Could cook not have taken his 3rd ride in ht 15? And is it correct that a tapes exclusion doesn't count as a ride?

It used to count both as a ride and a zero for averages purposes, even if a reserve did replace them......obviously it doesn't now but I'm going back at least 20 odd years to when I know for certain that they did count

Rossiter is a drama queen and loves the attention he receives, when things are going well he is the jovial village idiot, when things are going bad he is the Danny La Rue of British speedway!..

• Like 3

Not sure about Rosco's grievances to be honest.....It sounds a bit of a shambles at the end but the chequered flag coming out after 3 laps didn't affect anything as Swindon got a 5-1 in the re run which they were not on in the first race......it shouldn't happen but Swindon gained from that and certainly didn't lose anything...........as for Cook, well if he touched the tapes then it was only the rules that he had to go from 15 metres to complete his rides....if he had got changed then it's not his fault but is the refs fault ...I assume Swindon would have preferred Cook off 15 to a reserve level from the tapes, and so would Belle Vue on the night I think so I doubt Rosco complained at the time about Cook having to get back changed ....if he'd had come in last , as expected, then he wouldn't have batted an eyelid........again , this shouldn't happen but the fact Cook got the 5-1 has caused Rosco's frustration, yet the reserve replacement would probably had got the 5-1 as well so Swindon didn't lose out there as well in my opinion.

Yes it's a bit of a shambles but neither incident was particularly result affecting.

• Like 1

You really are the most idiotic person I have ever come across...

Where did I say I WOULD RATHER WATCH BV V SWINDON THAN POOLE V SWINDON ON SKY!.........................................EEEERRRRMMMM NO WHERE!

You do make me laugh.........You don't get to me because you are just a pi11ock at the end of the day..................

Everyone has said they couldn't believe that this meeting wasn't on Sky..............Why don't you quote them as well?......................Oh sorry my bad I forgot you have a personal problem with me.............. :icon_smile_clown:

For your information.................Sky could have shown both meetings............Sky have shown a couple of meetings in the same week in the past............

Just waiting for another one of your ridiculously hilarious posts again..............As I can have another great laugh whilst reading it........ ;):t:

Everyone?? Hmm...try again, about 3 or 4.

Oh and I think you'll find the grown ups are laughing at YOU as you've posted yet another load of nonsense.

You have no understanding of anything speedway related and you certainly cannot discuss or debate, two skills you would have learned at school. Then again you're probably still at school which explains things.

Read my post again, and this time try to understand what's being said!

It used to count both as a ride and a zero for averages purposes, even if a reserve did replace them......obviously it doesn't now but I'm going back at least 20 odd years to when I know for certain that they did count

I think its longer than that Bruiser, that only takes us back to 1995 and I'm pretty certain that tapes exclusions didn't count then. I 'think', but could be wrong on this, it was changed at some point in the 80's?

That's a fair post . Of course we only have Rosco's word for it that Cook stormed off in a temper and threw his toys out of the pram. The other side of the coin is that's rider needs permission of the Clerk of the Course to leave the pits. Now if Cook had been incorrectly given permission the it's understandable that he should come back because it's not his mistake. If he did leave the pits withouT the CoC' s permission how come Rosco didn't mention that ?

So what is the truth if the matter. According to Rosco's rant on the.Swindon website Cook slammed the dressing room door so hard he took the door clean off its hinges . Really ? Frankly I find, that very difficult to belive. For one thing if Rsoco was in the pits he wouldn't know what happened when Cook was in the changing room. Secondly it s very difficult indeed to take a door off BOTH hinges unless it's loose anyway. Thirdly if the door was taken off its hinges someone else must know about it but we only have Rosco's word on this when he clearly wasn't there to see what happened.

Unless someone knows something about the door coming off its hinges or Cook storming off without permission of the CoC Its looks like another one of Rosco's rants that we have seen with increasing frequency in the last few years.

" In victory- magnaminity, in defeat-defiannce". - Winston Churchill

"In victory- go round crowing about it, in defeat- have a rant". - Rosco

Another way of looking at it has anyone said it's not true ? Cook pretty vocal on twitter etc ...no doubt he been on there to say that it's a lie .. thou Rosco no doubt has lots of rants as a rule he tends to be it quite honest

• Like 1

Baffles me and I see other on here how a rider can be disqualified for touching the tapes when at the same time another rider was also disqualified for delaying the start - surely one comes before the other?????

Put it this way, if two riders touch the tapes once the green light is on, one after the other, are they both disqualified - don't think so, only the first one. What a poor performance from the ref, which ultimately gained Swindon a point.

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 3

Hartley Hare....you have to be certain age :)

Pipkins :wink:

I must be a certain age