British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

Berwick V Rye House: Saturday 5th September

I was watching an interview with Steve Lawson at the Lough or maybe Shawfield....

Sport's future was uncertain back then same questions were being asked then

Steve sounded really passionate about the Sport...

Fast forward to present day Jorgenson, Worrall and Wells in the PLRC line up. What the hell has happened to the PL?

Zagar Parker, Zorro, Watson, Lyons Topinka, Schott, Schlien, Bird, Boyce Shields, Wilson, Larsen, Havelock, Doyle, Ward, Woffinden

Yes these men raced in PL teams week in week out

And for the vast majority those riders were reliable consistent top performers week in week out

I'm sure tracks weren't ideal then and no air fences but these guys made it work

It's depressing looking at Speedway as it is today, young Lambert has it in him to go all the way. If he was Polish he'd have been banned.....

He should be banned from racing in this country and if that makes him a better rider he can ply his trade where the money is.

If riders can't fulfil fixtures they get banned or the clubs fined, unacceptable and last night I felt sorry for the public and Berwick (to a degree)

Injuries happen I get that, but riders and clubs mugging clueless fans off is not. But we make the decision to pay ourselves in

Speedway needs a massive overhaul for any hope of survival, club promoters sitting on the Sport's board needs to stop.....

• Like 1

I was watching an interview with Steve Lawson at the Lough or maybe Shawfield....

Sport's future was uncertain back then same questions were being asked then

Steve sounded really passionate about the Sport...

Fast forward to present day Jorgenson, Worrall and Wells in the PLRC line up. What the hell has happened to the PL?

Zagar Parker, Zorro, Watson, Lyons Topinka, Schott, Schlien, Bird, Boyce Shields, Wilson, Larsen, Havelock, Doyle, Ward, Woffinden

Yes these men raced in PL teams week in week out

And for the vast majority those riders were reliable consistent top performers week in week out

I'm sure tracks weren't ideal then and no air fences but these guys made it work

It's depressing looking at Speedway as it is today, young Lambert has it in him to go all the way. If he was Polish he'd have been banned.....

He should be banned from racing in this country and if that makes him a better rider he can ply his trade where the money is.

If riders can't fulfil fixtures they get banned or the clubs fined, unacceptable and last night I felt sorry for the public and Berwick (to a degree)

Injuries happen I get that, but riders and clubs mugging clueless fans off is not. But we make the decision to pay ourselves in

Speedway needs a massive overhaul for any hope of survival, club promoters sitting on the Sport's board needs to stop.....

In the mid 1960's Lord Shawcross was commissioned by the Royal Automobile Club to do a report into Speedway , which at that time was in turmoil ( nothing new there then ) , from of his conclusions we saw the setting up of The New National League , of which Berwick where founder members , this of course led to the Premier League we have today .He also recommended that the sport was run by an independent ruling body , almost 50 years later we are still waiting on that to happen ,until we can remove blinkered self interest, and petty oneupmanship from the people running speedway it will never move on

• Like 3

In the mid 1960's Lord Shawcross was commissioned by the Royal Automobile Club to do a report into Speedway , which at that time was in turmoil ( nothing new there then ) , from of his conclusions we saw the setting up of The New National League , of which Berwick where founder members , this of course led to the Premier League we have today .He also recommended that the sport was run by an independent ruling body , almost 50 years later we are still waiting on that to happen ,until we can remove blinkered self interest, and petty oneupmanship from the people running speedway it will never move on

I think its still in the "under consideration" stage, give it a few more years and I am sure they will get there.

I like dick

Reply edited, edited again, deleted, re-posted, edited again.

Nothing left to say.

• Like 1

Reply edited, edited again, deleted, re-posted, edited again.

Nothing left to say.

Too good to be true. Either someone doing a very good impression of an idiot, or a genuine full blown loony

Unfortunately incorrect.

In 1964, following the collapse of the National League and the running of the Provincial League as an unlicenced league during that season over a dispute over the attempted forcible promotion of Wolverhampton, 1963 PL champions into the NL, Lord Shawcross was commissioned to report on the future of speedway. He recommended a merger of the two leagues to form the British League which commenced in 1965.

In 1968 a second division was formed which included Berwick.

After operating for seven seasons as British League Division two the lower league renamed itsewlf the New National League to emphasise how it wished to be seen as an independent body which it progressively became. After a few seasons the 'New' was dropped from the name and the BL and NL ran pretty separately until the end of the 1980s.

In 1991 the two leagues came back together to reform as British League divisions 1 & 2 with a controversial and ultimately unworkable promotion and relegation system.

In 1995 the declining numbers of tracks saw another restart attempted by the forming of one league, the Premier League. In that and the following season the former NL clubs weren't helped to rise to BL standards and it was clear that the merger had been near-fatal to the former second tier clubs.

In 1997 several teams broke away to form an Elite League, the situation that still exists today.