British Speedway Forum
Big Al

Leicester Lions 2016

Is anyone really shocked that Leicester lost tonight or any other night.

Their number 1 is a rider who has shown potential but best is only 3rd heatleader.

The other heatleaders are nothing more than average 2nd strings in the Elite League.

The 2nd strings are a young Pole who is still finding his feet, and one of the most inconsistent rider in not only the Elite League but the Premier League as well.

The reserves are their only saving grace, one of which I can see taking over the number 1 role the same rider is 15th in the Premier League averages.

Whoever put the Leicester team together must have been delusional to think that the team would have be occasionally competitive in the Elite League, the team are light years away from anything like that.

The team at Leicester needs major surgery, and it needs it sooner rather than later.

But you have to question whether or not Leicester should be riding in the Elite League, the current Promotion insist on running on a Saturday night and it has been proven that tracks that run on a Saturday struggle to attract the standard of rider for the Elite League, Eastbourne are classic example of that.

The worrying thing is if team continues to keep losing especially at home then how long will the fans still come andd give their hard earned cash to see a losing side.

• Like 4

The old PL can beat an awful EL team battle.

Proven time and time again .............They can't and don't.

Who the hell cares! It's totally irrelevant, except for obsessive idiots to make crass, petty points. EL teams are generally assembled to the rules relating to the EL and PL according to their rules.

It's pathetic to see supporters of the dying EL taking some kind of twisted solace out of their weakest team in the history of the league being stronger than a PL team,. IT DAMN WELL SHOULD BE!!!

So, we now have the realistic prospect of Belle Vue's superb new track opening to a total whitewash of the opposition - well, all but the reserves. Even the threat of rain now sees Sky ditch TV coverage. One of your most important tracks is closing at the end of the year. Most teams struggle to field more than one heat leader while another has four. Aren't these things that you should be concerned about, not trying the act the big 'I am' because your team is in the EL, thus making you some kind of demi-god? So Leicester could beat the top PL teams. BIG BLOODY DEAL!

Speedway's got real problems enough without this petty idiocy.

"Crisis, what crisis"?

Edited by rmc

The old PL can beat an awful EL team battle.

Proven time and time again .............They can't and don't.

This Leicester side looked good against Sheffield home & away.

• Like 1

I honestly can't understand why people are surprised by Leicesters terrible performance. What did you think was going to happen with the top 5 they have. Dreadful team. Who ever put this team together and thought they would be competitive needs to perhaps consider perusing a different line of work.

Why on earth would any promoter in there right mind run on a Saturday night in the EL. Anyone who is any good won't ride on Saturday nights on a regular basis. Change race night or drop down to the PL. That, I'm afraid, is the only real option Leicester have ..........................Because it inst going to get any better. Wait till Poole or Bell Vue are in town............oh dear.

As was said at the time.....

The plan was every team should have had three riders from the heat leader list....

When it became obvious that less than 20 riders on that list of 21 riders were interested in riding, then each team should have had a max of two.

No team should have been allowed to add a third rider till the 'top two' from each team had been completed. (From the original 21 rider list and any rider coming in under 'extra qualification rules')

Effectively they could have had a Tier 1 and Tier 2 heat leader grading similar to the way the EDR riders were put in place..

Don't bring in 'rider control' and then not use it to control the spread of riders...

Typical Speedway planning..

Well meaning, but half arsed, ill thought out, and, as we can see once more, not fit for purpose...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

I honestly can't understand why people are surprised by Leicesters terrible performance. What did you think was going to happen with the top 5 they have. Dreadful team. Who ever put this team together and thought they would be competitive needs to perhaps consider perusing a different line of work.

Why on earth would any promoter in there right mind run on a Saturday night in the EL. Anyone who is any good won't ride on Saturday nights on a regular basis. Change race night or drop down to the PL. That, I'm afraid, is the only real option Leicester have ..........................Because it inst going to get any better. Wait till Poole or Bell Vue are in town............oh dear.

And yet if you check the predictions on the Leicester-Lakeside thread no-one predicted that score line.

I don't think anyone suspected they would be a good team............but equally no-one thought they would be quite that bad.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

As many on here predicted, Leicester looked weak from the get go, so their scores and performances shouldn't come as any surprise. Changes now are a must if their season is over before it really starts but I take it Leicester will be in the same boat as Coventry, another side threatening changes, where they have to wait until May 1st to make any change.

If it's any consolation once we lose Iversen at Kings Lynn at end of April we will be in contention for the wooden spoon also . Only difference I see is Leiecster 6/7 are strong than the Stars and possibly our top 5 might just be stronger than the Lions .

• Like 3

If it's any consolation once we lose Iversen at Kings Lynn at end of April we will be in contention for the wooden spoon also . Only difference I see is Leiecster 6/7 are strong than the Stars and possibly our top 5 might just be stronger than the Lions .

British Elite League Speedway looks forward to a seven month race to the bottom....

Where "at least we're not as crap as them" will be considered as a favourable attainment level....

On a more positive note plenty of teams will be able to hold their 'End Of Season' parties in some potentially good weather in May so could do a nice 'Barbie'...

Much better than those horrible, dark cold nights in late October/early November..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Well shortly you have got Belle Vue followed by Swindon on Sky.

If things carry on the way they are now, even more fans will drift away from BP. It is such a shame that so much was done to bring the sport back to the city.

Not actually sure what the problem is. Have the club got the money but they will not even think about paying any of the top riders the amount they would be asking to ride in the EL. Or is it that they have not got the money and as we can see from this years line up they are having to make do with riders that other clubs would not even look at..

The way thing have gone since they joined the EL it as only gone from bad to even worse, they would have been far better, to have gone back down to the PL. Keep th Saturday night race night and hopefully bring back a few fans that have walked away. Because if they don't sort things out soon, there will be very few turning up to watch and it could be that unless someone else buys the club, it will be be the end of the line for for Leicester again. I hope not, but it needs someone running the club who knows what it means to run an EL side not thry to run a side with nothing better than what they would have had if they where in the PL.

Come on get things at BP back on track,, before it to late.

• Like 1

Personally I think Leicester are better off returning to the Premier League.

David Hemsley has said on more than one occasion that Leicester fans want to watch their speedway on a Saturday night and switching to an alternative night leads to significantly reduced attendances. Unfortunately as we all know its very difficult putting a competitive EL team together for that night of the week.

Unless Leicester fans are prepared to put up with a switch in race night then I think a return to the PL would suit them better. They can put a competitive team together and retain their preferred race night. That way I'm sure their attendances will remain healthy and most importantly the track remains in business.

Surely most people would rather see competitive close racing whatever league its in? That fact seems to be proved by the success stories at Birmingham and Eastbourne.

Whilst I applaud David Hemsley's ambition and desire to bring top flight speedway back to Leicester surely it would be better for the business to return to the second tier?

• Like 6

David Hemsley has said on more than one occasion that Leicester fans want to watch their speedway on a Saturday night and switching to an alternative night leads to significantly reduced attendances. Unfortunately as we all know its very difficult putting a competitive EL team together for that night of the week.

Unless Leicester fans are prepared to put up with a switch in race night then I think a return to the PL would suit them better. They can put a competitive team together and retain their preferred race night. That way I'm sure their attendances will remain healthy and most importantly the track remains in business.

Surely most people would rather see competitive close racing whatever league its in? That fact seems to be proved by the success stories at Birmingham and Eastbourne.

Whilst I applaud David Hemsley's ambition and desire to bring top flight speedway back to Leicester surely it would be better for the business to return to the second tier?

elite league is top flight in name only . premier and national league speedway is actually better

• Like 1

....Gresham78.............Surely most people would rather see competitive close racing whatever league its in? That fact seems to be proved by the success stories at Birmingham and Eastbourne.

I don't think there were many Leicester fans who wanted the Lions to be in the Elite League anyway and they were quite happy with PL racing on a Saturday night with a bigger variety of teams. The decision was more down to David's ambition I should think and as it appears he can be rather stubborn ~ hence taking no notice of 90% of fans wishing for the track to be changed ~ it looks like it will be another season of struggle. Sad really.