British Speedway Forum
Speedball

King's Lynn 2016

Poole's is due for a bit of an upgrade - if you believe all the local media reports?!

Is this the stadium or the track? ;)

The one thing That Lynn use to have that is no longer the case is a top drawer racing circuit. Was no better place once upon a time ( Alwarton pushed it close. Sadly that is no longer the case. Under Huggy's guidance it was one hellva track, maybe the stadium was rather run down then, but I turned up then to watch the Speedway on the track not to stand and gaze at a new stand.

• Like 2

And the main thing that lets that down is the stock car catch fencing.

Got used to it m8 ..... a neccessary evil ...

Is this the stadium or the track? ;)

Don't you just love posters that only quote part of a post?!

The track is fine. It has been since the day after the BV home defeat. Bladed, treated, some new shale - smooth as a baby's bum now. Unfortunately can't say the same about the AF arena track these days. Hope its ok for both teams on Thursday.

Edited by Skidder1

The one thing That Lynn use to have that is no longer the case is a top drawer racing circuit. Was no better place once upon a time ( Alwarton pushed it close. Sadly that is no longer the case. Under Huggy's guidance it was one hellva track, maybe the stadium was rather run down then, but I turned up then to watch the Speedway on the track not to stand and gaze at a new stand.

I've never taken any notice of the facilities tbh, we've ALWAYS had decent terracing be it sleepers and dirt or the concrete of today, that is all you need to watch the racing. I guess when Huggy was doing the track it was early days for Buster, before the stocks really took off, Huggy was a master and had good material to use. Huggy kept grip the track over.

Buster has to accommodate modern day bikes that hate grip but if riders have the will and skill to have a go now they can gain ground and pass, and that is gooooood to watch

I've never taken any notice of the facilities tbh, we've ALWAYS had decent terracing be it sleepers and dirt or the concrete of today, that is all you need to watch the racing. I guess when Huggy was doing the track it was early days for Buster, before the stocks really took off, Huggy was a master and had good material to use. Huggy kept grip the track over.

Buster has to accommodate modern day bikes that hate grip but if riders have the will and skill to have a go now they can gain ground and pass, and that is gooooood to watch

Not being a Promoter, Huggy could concentrate on just making the track good. When you need to balance the books, you have to cut the material to suit the cloth. No doubt Buster could bring back the track to its past glory if he too were to work to the same guidelines. Using the crap he does, is so the surface is suited to the Stock cars as well. Using top quality shale would be so wasteful and expensive. For this reason it would be wrong to compare the two track men.

Unfortunately that's the way the sport has become....

• Like 1

But it has happened at least twice now at Coventry that I've seen.

Surely someone, presumably the referee, has the responsibility to ensure the air fence is properly secured and the extra protection at the foot of the concrete is in place.

As others have said riders are very vocal about safety if there is a hint of drizzle but little fuss is made about this issue.

Happens up and down the country all the time. If at a track with no armco its not as much of a problem but when riders go under and into the stock car fence it generally only ends badly.

Extra weight?, partially fill them with water?, straps from the front attached to the fence? Im not sure what the answer is but it needs addressing as year on year the air fences do not offer riders the levels of protection they should.

Happens up and down the country all the time. If at a track with no armco its not as much of a problem but when riders go under and into the stock car fence it generally only ends badly.

Extra weight?, partially fill them with water?, straps from the front attached to the fence? Im not sure what the answer is but it needs addressing as year on year the air fences do not offer riders the levels of protection they should.

Not sure, in fact I'm pretty positive water in the base wouldn't work, but I bet wet sand would help? Does anyone think that the panel lifting is only a problem when you have concrete/solid boards behind the fence panels.....?

I'm not 100% this is the case, but I'm sure the problem is worse where this sort of fence set-up is in situ...

Don't you just love posters that only quote part of a post?!

The track is fine. It has been since the day after the BV home defeat. Bladed, treated, some new shale - smooth as a baby's bum now. Unfortunately can't say the same about the AF arena track these days. Hope its ok for both teams on Thursday.

Really? Lynn can be over grippy, too grippy on the inside and occasionly overwatered but I can't remember the last time it wasn't smooth and consistent.

Not sure, in fact I'm pretty positive water in the base wouldn't work, but I bet wet sand would help? Does anyone think that the panel lifting is only a problem when you have concrete/solid boards behind the fence panels.....?

I'm not 100% this is the case, but I'm sure the problem is worse where this sort of fence set-up is in situ...

I would say the panels lifting is a problem everywhere but the impact is far worse when there is concrete barriers behind it. Ive seen them lift at Rye House, Kent etc and the rider pops out the other side but all they have done is roll across the grass. That shows the momentum that riders carry in and clearly the force that is stopped when they meet solid concrete.

BTW i think the wet sand idea is a very good one.

If I was travelling into an airfence at 70mph I certainly wouldn't want wet sand or water in the bottom of the fence.

Do a bellyflop from a 10 meter diving board & you'll get the gist of why that'll be a very bad idea. That's at half the speed of going into the airfence

If I was travelling into an airfence at 70mph I certainly wouldn't want wet sand or water in the bottom of the fence.

Do a bellyflop from a 10 meter diving board & you'll get the gist of why that'll be a very bad idea. That's at half the speed of going into the airfence

Potentially true however i also wouldn't want the water to part upon impact and hit the bottom of the pool either!

Potentially true however i also wouldn't want the water to part upon impact and hit the bottom of the pool either!

When talking safety, basic physics would tell you wet sand / water in an airfence is as deadly as hitting a solid fence.

It is utter utter madness to even considered it

• Like 1

When talking safety, basic physics would tell you wet sand / water in an airfence is as deadly as hitting a solid fence.

It is utter utter madness to even considered it

Apologies im not 100% certain ive made my suggestion correctly. My thinking was to add a small amount to the base to keep it weighted to the ground, for example an inch max in the bottom of the panels?

Like i said its just a suggestion but with rider safety it is utter madness to continue the way things are.