British Speedway Forum
Speedball

King's Lynn 2016

As much as I try, I am finding it very hard to be optimistic about next year. Looking back through the last few years we have always drifted away out of contention as the season nears its climax. Yes, I accept we have had more than our fair share of injuries, but when we have needed a helping hand from an additional rider, we never get one and consequently, we just drift away...... This ' It'll do' mentality is something that has been allowed to fester, to a point where its now acceptable behaviour.

I cant think of one positive idea to come out of this season. Every decision, every argument has been detrimental. Our team selection has been abysmal. Most of the picked riders were, Injured, Unavailable, Over the hill, or just not interested. We have struggled from the off to field a competitive side and therefore languished in the lower regions of the league. Its not about losing, its about passion and effort, and we have shown very little of either..

I don't know what next year holds. It cant get any worse........... Can it????

• Like 1

As much as I try, I am finding it very hard to be optimistic about next year. Looking back through the last few years we have always drifted away out of contention as the season nears its climax. Yes, I accept we have had more than our fair share of injuries, but when we have needed a helping hand from an additional rider, we never get one and consequently, we just drift away...... This ' It'll do' mentality is something that has been allowed to fester, to a point where its now acceptable behaviour.

I cant think of one positive idea to come out of this season. Every decision, every argument has been detrimental. Our team selection has been abysmal. Most of the picked riders were, Injured, Unavailable, Over the hill, or just not interested. We have struggled from the off to field a competitive side and therefore languished in the lower regions of the league. Its not about losing, its about passion and effort, and we have shown very little of either..

I don't know what next year holds. It cant get any worse........... Can it????

this season we have been going through the motions from day one the season was a right off right from not holding a press and practice day the promotion couldn't be arsed and that rubs of on riders and fans alike - we was the only club as far as I no in the UK not to hold a press and practice that in itself was a disgrace. And it was down hill from that day on .

this season we have been going through the motions from day one the season was a right off right from not holding a press and practice day the promotion couldn't be arsed and that rubs of on riders and fans alike - we was the only club as far as I no in the UK not to hold a press and practice that in itself was a disgrace. And it was down hill from that day on .

Haza you are talking a lot of sense, holding a press and practice day was something I always used to look forward to. As well as a way to introduce new riders to the fans and sponsors it was a great way to raise money for a local charity..... or as was the case back in 2006, Red nose day which was featured on National TV. It also was the best chance of getting the team together for some fun and mischief which helped create comradery between the riders.

When I arrived at King's Lynn it was in the days of Lawrence Rogers, and the club couldn't really go backwards after I witnessed the debacle of the multiple EF's. Once Lawrence was shipped out and Rob joined we moved forward t an astonishing rate, we found the right forumla and was the envy of many clubs. One of the many highlights for me was completing the Premier League treble in front of crowds in the multiple thousands rather than hundreds..... and that was in late October when a woolly hat and scarf was needed!

It was my idea to take King's Lynn into the Elite League and I believe that was the right decision at the time with the momentum we had behind us...... however I believe it is now the wrong place for King's Lynn to be and for any chance of the club to become a success again it must drop back down, get back to regular weekly meetings and build a team with loyal and passionate riders who the fans can relate to. On that basis I would be looking at signing up the following team (maybe over the limit but have no idea due to average conversions):

1. Robert Lambert

2. Michael Palm Toft (someone I tried signing from Scunthorpe back in the PL days)

2. Nicolas Porsing

3. Kai Huckenbeck

4. Lewis Kerr

5. Lewis Rose

6. Josh Bailey

7. Tom Stokes

Mascot: Chris Mills ;)

• Like 6

I agree, look at the riders we would potentially have to choose from in the second tier;

Lambert x 2

Porsing

Schlein

Kerr

Huckenbeck

Rose

Smith

Bailey

Stokes

I'd always like to see my club running at the highest level possible but maybe PL would suit us best right now. A fresh start would certainly be no bad thing IMO.

Edited by Gordon Bennett

Hi JC.

What a refreshing change to hear some constructive ideas, that are both Positive and Practical. I too have spoken with my son on exactly the same idea, thinking along the lines we need to see a settled team on a weekly basis. Imagine the local rivalry with neighbours from Panthers, Ipswich and possibly Leicester, all close enough for the fans to travel to away meetings.

I have followed Niels for many years and appreciate his connection with the club, but we cannot continue along these present lines, when we don't know whether he will be riding or using a guest , if permitted. The rules the BSPA have inflicted on the Elite league has ruined any fairness that existed. Fixture clashes, double uppers, guests, multiply race nights have all played their part in the demise of the league. The sooner we go back to the Premier League the better.

Nice to hear from you again JC , I thought you had left the country....

Haza you are talking a lot of sense, holding a press and practice day was something I always used to look forward to. As well as a way to introduce new riders to the fans and sponsors it was a great way to raise money for a local charity..... or as was the case back in 2006, Red nose day which was featured on National TV. It also was the best chance of getting the team together for some fun and mischief which helped create comradery between the riders.

When I arrived at King's Lynn it was in the days of Lawrence Rogers, and the club couldn't really go backwards after I witnessed the debacle of the multiple EF's. Once Lawrence was shipped out and Rob joined we moved forward t an astonishing rate, we found the right forumla and was the envy of many clubs. One of the many highlights for me was completing the Premier League treble in front of crowds in the multiple thousands rather than hundreds..... and that was in late October when a woolly hat and scarf was needed!

It was my idea to take King's Lynn into the Elite League and I believe that was the right decision at the time with the momentum we had behind us...... however I believe it is now the wrong place for King's Lynn to be and for any chance of the club to become a success again it must drop back down, get back to regular weekly meetings and build a team with loyal and passionate riders who the fans can relate to. On that basis I would be looking at signing up the following team (maybe over the limit but have no idea due to average conversions):

1. Robert Lambert

2. Michael Palm Toft (someone I tried signing from Scunthorpe back in the PL days)

2. Nicolas Porsing

3. Kai Huckenbeck

4. Lewis Kerr

5. Lewis Rose

6. Josh Bailey

7. Tom Stokes

Mascot: Chris Mills ;)

I`d love to see Kings Lynn back in the PL, but it wont be with that team, not unless they raise the points limit, which they wont in fact I think a drop in the team average limit would be a good idea.

The PL is now a very different league to what it was when we last raced there - R/R and guest riders are the norm not regular race nights either in my opinion it's 2 or 3 seasons away from melt down - switch of leagues won't change the attitude of the promotion either - I for one would be very selective of meetings I'd watch if we switched yes Pbor Ipswich derbies would be great but wouldn't go every meeting .

Yes a team with 2 number twos is bound to be over the limit - full of $#!t mainly. ;-)

Particularly strange when MPT was signed for KL in 2012 - in the EL too!!

Its almost that you might not know what you are talking about?! ;-)

Edited by Skidder1

It would be awfully sad if both KL and Leicester went PL next season...

It would be awfully sad if both KL and Leicester went PL next season...

Hopefully this wont happen but if my team, Berwick, were unable to come to the tapes or were in another league that would open a place up for Leicester or Kings Lynn.

personally I'd like to see KL go PL, the PL years before were good fun, but I suspect the demographics have changed too much now and there wouldn't be enough of a difference from how it is at the moment with all the flying in and out etc, it would be too much like EL and I doubt it would even be much cheaper

I think it works for some teams to drop down to PL but although a lot have complained that the racing is worse now, would it be any better in PL because thats why fans turn up.

Batch now has a 4.96 average! Bargain for team building next year. I'm sure he will have plenty of offers on the table.

No surprised it's dropped off that much, with Lynn not having to ride for anything over the last few months, that's a lot of time to drop your average to be a man in demand!

Even premier league would be a 6.94......

No surprised it's dropped off that much, with Lynn not having to ride for anything over the last few months, that's a lot of time to drop your average to be a man in demand!

Even premier league would be a 6.94......

I would hazard a guess he'll end up at Ipswich

can't see why lynn and panthers can't have a end of season challenge h & a , would certainly swell the old swag bag (big crowds) ,I can remember the last 1 when lynn were in premier

Edited by hans fan
  • Like 2