British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
born_2b_mad

What is the best ever racing VENUE

Definitely Hyde Road. Aaaah. Other great racing tracks were Old Meadowbank, Wimbledon and Hackney. Best of today's lot are probably Exeter and Kings Lynn. One common factor (except Wimbledon) - no dog track. In my opinion tracks inside doggie circuits tend to have too (Two) tight bends. :roll: :lol:

There's a dog track at Exeter.... and the bends are not really that tight ;)

That's cheating!!

Swindon has fairly lengthy bends and a dog track as well.

Custom House had a Dog Track Wouldn’t call that tight!

I only saw the stadium in the 60s and 70s in 66 the old timber stand on the first bend was unsafe and the old pits where moved to the third bend.

Then the back straight stand demolished! (I stood there :cry: ).

I should imagine in its day hard to beat the size and atmosphere at Custom House!

OK a bit of a generalisation but I can only go by some tracks I have been to where the straights are (were) definitely too close together!

No-one has mentioned Wembley, I have to say the racing was always

good. Bloody awful toilets though :-(

Hyde road was so special, and yes i remember shooting the rapids. I saw Bob Andrews go on there and i'm sure he paid kids price. The best ever race i have seen was at Hyde road. Lets tell you first , my favorite rider is Ivan Mauger, in the greatest race i've seen he finished a long way third behind Bernie Person and Soren Sjosten(pleas excuse spelling). It was the scratch race final, i think they changed places on every lap of the race. it was truely breathtaking, i wonder if anyone else can remember that race? I am and always will be a Cradley fan even though we don't have a home any more.Cradley was a very fair track for all riders.

DEFINATELY HYDE ROAD, even though i wasn't born when Hyde road stadium was open, but i have heard and seen sources of the old Aces stadium and it looked absoloutly fantasti, for a speedway venue, compared with the ones of today.

This "Hyde Road love in" has got me pining for the old flame again. Has anybody got any videos of Hyde Road meets, particularly from 70s/80s they'd be willing to share/sell?

Guest cheetahhawk
Definitely Hyde Road. Aaaah. Other great racing tracks were Old Meadowbank, Wimbledon and Hackney. Best of today's lot are probably Exeter and Kings Lynn. One common factor (except Wimbledon) - no dog track. In my opinion tracks inside doggie circuits tend to have too (Two) tight bends. :roll: :lol:

Don't know if I have read it right but are you saying that Hackney wasn't inside a dog track :?: Funny I spent my youth there and there definately was a dog track around the speedway track and one of my mates was akennel maid there. :?

Cheetahhawk wrote:-

Ian H wrote:

Definitely Hyde Road. Aaaah. Other great racing tracks were Old Meadowbank, Wimbledon and Hackney. Best of today's lot are probably Exeter and Kings Lynn. One common factor (except Wimbledon) - no dog track. In my opinion tracks inside doggie circuits tend to have too (Two) tight bends.

Don't know if I have read it right but are you saying that Hackney wasn't inside a dog track Funny I spent my youth there and there definately was a dog track around the speedway track and one of my mates was akennel maid there

Are you shure your mate was'nt a Milkmaid :!: ;):D

This "Hyde Road love in" has got me pining for the old flame again. Has anybody got any videos of Hyde Road meets, particularly from 70s/80s they'd be willing to share/sell?

Don't have any myself, but try the Video Archive section here:

http://www.bellevuezoo.co.uk/

Thanks for the link Grachan. The photo of Hyde Road stadium before its final demolition is a very sad sight indeed. :-(

Does anybody else know of anywhere else where I could get videos of speedway at Hyde Road :?:

The dog track's long gone from Exeter now but unfortunately they haven't been allowed to widen the bends on the insides - that would make it a great race track.

The dog track at Exeter was of course unusually inside the circuit rather than outside.

Cradley,White city,Hackney.

All these tracks were GOOD to race on,and ALL of them had greyhound tracks outside of them.

Its not relevant whether or not there is a dog track there,we like our dog tracks to be RACEABLE to you know,in fact were it not for the speedway,the dogs would have more racing room,so it works both ways you know.