British Speedway Forum
Mr Blobby

Glasgow V Edinburgh The Final 16th/17th October @7.30pm/7.00pm

Question is DO any Edinburgh fans support Glasgow and vice versa? Will Fridays for Glasgow really affect the Edinburgh fan base?

Surely it's like asking whether any Lynn fans support Ipswich every week? Bloody no lol

• Like 1

Speedway shooting itself in both feet again - this time in front of a bumper crowd.

No excuse for not having extra medical cover at such a meeting.

While riders safety should always come first ,this issue regarding Ambulance and Doctor attendance and transfer of patient and his injury notes to the 2nd Ambulance when the situation arises is major concern in the sport.these type of delays are not acceptable and killing the meeting stone dead with all the hanging about.While a number of tracks struggle to find a 2nd doctor others say they can't afford it and some are lucky that have fans as Docters that can be called on if required (without expense I assume).it is a thorny subject and I am not having ago at any particular Promotion but the situation has to be addressed properly.New fans are not going to stand twiddling there thumbs is this situation wondering what's going on ,they won't be back the next week!!! Speedy recovery to injured riders and hope for a cracking trouble free 2nd leg tonight.Monarchs start favourites but it's on a knife edge IMO .Probably depends who guests for Summers and Branford or bike failures. Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

I know several Embra fans who go to Ashfield on Sundays.

This kind of petulance will point me at least to the golf course instead.No point going where you are not wanted

• Like 1

Well done Glasgow for scraping out a decent lead for the circumstances.

Mustve felt like a war of attrition at times last night!

Think Edinburgh will have enough to pull it back but you never know what might happen if theres a bit of pressure particularly early on.

Re the Friday night spat - If the Monarchs need a handful of fans from Glasgow to be viable at a time when they are pretty much dominant then Id say they are doomed.

• Like 4

While this meeting is great for Scottish speedway its also bad for it with all this petty bickering.

Why does speedway constantly shoot its self in the foot. Ok the meeting dragged on a bit, cant really blame Glasgow for the crashes/injuries or even the false starts. Yes I think their presentation/timings could be better but over time im sure it will improve. What I can blame Glasgow on is the timing of 'that letter'. Fair enough Glasgow promoters are annoyed at Edinburgh promotion but talk about bad timing now people are talking about race nights rather than the biggest meetings of each clubs history. IMO Edin shouldn't have a veto on deciding if they can race Fri night it should be discussed at AGM and all teams have a vote (ideally an independent body but will avoid that discussion for now).

Now in light of all this all these vile supporters (mainly those allowed on social media) appear and say they hope each others clubs fold. Thats not a speedway fan in my eyes.

I should take my dads approach to speedway. He doesn't do Facebook or the BSF or any social media. He turns up watches the speedway without any hostility or politics and seems to enjoy himself.

Rant over

Mon the Monarchs :D

• Like 4

Question is DO any Edinburgh fans support Glasgow and vice versa? Will Fridays for Glasgow really affect the Edinburgh fan base?

Surely it's like asking whether any Lynn fans support Ipswich every week? Bloody no lol

wasat glas/ ashfield on fri nite . what a beautiful place the manergment has turned this round .was like walking into 5 star hotel foyer was just out of this world . very big disapointment though the person with the mike could not make out 1 word he said all thro meeting at 4th bend everybody asking each other what is he saying glas/tiger get mike prob sorrertedfor 2016 everything else was top class thank for a great nite

While riders safety should always come first ,this issue regarding Ambulance and Doctor attendance and transfer of patient and his injury notes to the 2nd Ambulance when the situation arises is major concern in the sport.these type of delays are not acceptable and killing the meeting stone dead with all the hanging about.While a number of tracks struggle to find a 2nd doctor others say they can't afford it and some are lucky that have fans as Docters that can be called on if required (without expense I assume).it is a thorny subject and I am not having ago at any particular Promotion but the situation has to be addressed properly.New fans are not going to stand twiddling there thumbs is this situation wondering what's going on ,they won't be back the next week!!! Speedy recovery to injured riders and hope for a cracking trouble free 2nd leg tonight.Monarchs start favourites but it's on a knife edge IMO .Probably depends who guests for Summers and Branford or bike failures.

well said that man everything you said was/is correct

The letter highlighted the season ticket deal , the crossover one , which Edinburgh brought to a premature end saying only two Glasgow fans made use of it . Then they object to us running on a Friday night because it could affect their attendances . Doesn't really add up . Anyway onto last night , ref seemed to be on a mission to burn as many clutches out as he could last night with the length of time he was holding riders at the tapes , no wonder one or two riders ending up going through them . The endless witch hunt of young James and his starting prowess shows no sign of abating either . Monarchs fans round us screaming in protest every time the tapes went up when James was in a race . Sweet moment when he made a perfect start against the blessed Cookie in heat 11 , the blue and yellow mob had just finished their howls of protest when the blessed one came down trying all he could to get past James .

Hope both injured riders , who's meeting came to a premature end , are not too badly hurt and that tonight's meeting is a powderkeg classic . We need every one of our fantastic Tigers side to be at the top of their game tonight and hopefully Smiley Sam is still riding the lawn mower he used last night and his good bikes are en route to Oz , that helps .

Was a long drawn out affair last night , mainly due to the ref causing all the reruns , but there is now draught beer in the bar which made all the delays bearable haha :drink: C'mon the Stripes tonight , let's make tonight a smug free celebration

• Like 6

The letter highlighted the season ticket deal , the crossover one , which Edinburgh brought to a premature end saying only two Glasgow fans made use of it . Then they object to us running on a Friday night because it could affect their attendances . Doesn't really add up . Anyway onto last night , ref seemed to be on a mission to burn as many clutches out as he could last night with the length of time he was holding riders at the tapes , no wonder one or two riders ending up going through them . The endless witch hunt of young James and his starting prowess shows no sign of abating either . Monarchs fans round us screaming in protest every time the tapes went up when James was in a race . Sweet moment when he made a perfect start against the blessed Cookie in heat 11 , the blue and yellow mob had just finished their howls of protest when the blessed one came down trying all he could to get past James .

Hope both injured riders , who's meeting came to a premature end , are not too badly hurt and that tonight's meeting is a powderkeg classic . We need every one of our fantastic Tigers side to be at the top of their game tonight and hopefully Smiley Sam is still riding the lawn mower he used last night and his good bikes are en route to Oz , that helps .

Was a long drawn out affair last night , mainly due to the ref causing all the reruns , but there is now draught beer in the bar which made all the delays bearable haha :drink: C'mon the Stripes tonight , let's make tonight a smug free celebration

Can the BSPA bring a ban against Sarggent for bringing the sport into disrepute.

More importantly where do I get a bet on that he will break the tapes or get a warning tonight.

Junior

The answer is no but thats just the smokescreen, its more likely that Glasgow and Edinburgh will be competing for an ever decreasing number of riders for Friday nights and with the way things are going Glasgow may have more financial clout moving forward.

Going back to a previous point the club owners have said the club must cover revenue expenditure from gate receipts whilst they are happy for the moment to spend on capital items in and around the stadium.

It feels like the tide is turning and we are going to have our time once again and step out from the shadows of Edinburgh, a bit like the beginning of the Shawfield era. The bitterness then from our rivals was significant with accusations of oversized engines and all sorts. Those people are still involved with them today and dont expect them to take it lying down.

• Like 3

Can the BSPA bring a ban against Sarggent for bringing the sport into disrepute.

Junior

give over man...:)
  • Like 3

More importantly where do I get a bet on that he will break the tapes or get a warning tonight.

Junior

In what way is he bringing the sport into disrepute ? And i don't think any reputable bookie will have a book on James being warned tonight

• Like 2

While this meeting is great for Scottish speedway its also bad for it with all this petty bickering.

Why does speedway constantly shoot its self in the foot. Ok the meeting dragged on a bit, cant really blame Glasgow for the crashes/injuries or even the false starts. Yes I think their presentation/timings could be better but over time im sure it will improve. What I can blame Glasgow on is the timing of 'that letter'. Fair enough Glasgow promoters are annoyed at Edinburgh promotion but talk about bad timing now people are talking about race nights rather than the biggest meetings of each clubs history. IMO Edin shouldn't have a veto on deciding if they can race Fri night it should be discussed at AGM and all teams have a vote (ideally an independent body but will avoid that discussion for now).

Absolutely agree, with current arrangements it extends Edinburghs sphere of influence far wider than it should be. Edinburghs franchise should be reduced to a radius of 15 or 20 miles from Edinburgh city centre and Glasgow likewise. As it is Armadale is almost on the border of North Lanarkshire and that should be the farthest point considered east.

• Like 3

In what way is he bringing the sport into disrepute ? And i don't think any reputable bookie will have a book on James being warned tonight

By trying to anticipate the starts and going through the tapes or getting races pulled back on a more than regular basis, do you not think the riders he's racing against aren't sick of it not to mention the supporters.

Junior

By trying to anticipate the starts and going through the tapes or getting races pulled back on a more than regular basis, do you not think the riders he's racing against aren't sick of it not to mention the supporters.

Junior

There`s a referee to control that.

• Like 2

Junior

He can get excluded/fined as it is ,do you ban every rider who "anticipates" the start.Its frustrating but the Ref is the one who controls the buttons.We have seen from TV that it's 50/50 whether it was good start or a "flyer" from the rider concerned,maybe they have to look at the Refs.
  • Like 1