British Speedway Forum
Mr Blobby

Glasgow V Edinburgh The Final 16th/17th October @7.30pm/7.00pm

Such a shame that a thread about the greatest 2 evenings in Scottish speedway history has ended up with such petty arguments about which I doubt anyone knows the whole story.

The BSPA MC will make the final decision I expect not the promotions.

I think you'll find that the posts were concentrating on the speedway until page 25 when a Mr Blobby, who else, mentioned a 'letter' whilst trying to explain the behaviour of 'some' Edinburgh fans at armadale. So hate to say it but 'you started it' and lets be honest, can't defend it!

It isn't a rule, mate. It is the joint agreement which has existed since the British League was formed in1965, and which almost certainly existed in some form since the SCB allowed the creation of league speedway in 1946.

The tracks are all members of a club (called the League) and they protect each other from invasion of each others' business interests. This means no track can be opened in opposition to an existing league member (nor change to a joint racenight) without the approval of the other tracks in the "club".

How would Glasgow feel if it was suddenly announced that a new promotion was about to re-open at Shawfield and intended to race in the Premier League on Sundays, Fridays or whenever?

But they wouldn't have to worry because, however rich and powerful the new people at Shawfield were, the BSPA simply wouldn't agree to their impinging on Ashfield's business. The new people would be told they couldn't join the "club" and the Tigers' interests would be protected.

Which is why the previous attempt to return Glasgow to Fridays was virtually black-balled by the other tracks -- and it is why any current efforts to do the same will suffer the same fate.

Move on.

justere2cgoodspeedway in your detailed response in Post # 749, you appear to have neglected to respond to the salient point in red above, which could apply to other forms of commerce (iirc the number and location of enterprises modifying vehicles for use as certain types of taxis is restricted)

Another factor in Speedway is that length of unbroken service (i.e. seniority) confers rewards on those who have continued to operate during the hard times.

You will recall that, amid financial difficulties, Glasgow closed down at the end of 1995, and, instead,the Edinburgh Promotion were the sole organisation which kept Speedway running in Scotland in 1996, for which you should all be eternally grateful.

Therefore when Glasgow returned in 1997, they were effectively a new kid on the block in terms of seniority.

Also in 1997 Edinburgh relocated to Armadale and opted for Friday, as their race night.

Given the reduced distance between Armadale and Glasgow, plus a smaller catchment area as opposed to the centre of Edinburgh, the Monarchs Promotion, as the senior track were entitled to protect their business from any further diminution of their income, within the framework of the protocols of the BSPA.

One final point none of us know how many casual attendees visit both tracks on a Friday or Sunday over the Season, but if both were running on the same day, they could not go to both over a weekend.

• Like 2

The key is casual attendees as you say.

No-one is seriously saying (are they?!!) that supporters on one team would have to choose whether to watch their team or another on offer.

The bit I don't get, and this is a serious question, is what top riders this season were unavailable to be considered by Glasgow due to them riding in Poland?,

I think you did well with Summers, Lawson and Morris who were a decent top 3, not much room for improvement there,

• Like 2

I'm still waiting for a full reaction from Glasgow on their website as to what happened on Saturday.

Could be waiting a while for that it seems like it's been swept under the carpet as if Saturday never happened.

• Like 1

It would be disrespectful.

We are all totally happy with the 7 we have and don't like the thought of having to replace any of them.

(Especially if it's because of some tin pot, badly thought out, 3 point draft enforcement.)

• Like 1

You will recall that, amid financial difficulties, Glasgow closed down at the end of 1995, and, instead,the Edinburgh Promotion were the sole organisation which kept Speedway running in Scotland in 1996, for which you should all be eternally grateful.

No we should not, an absolutely stunning piece of arrogance. Your promotion kept Edinburgh running, they moved out after a year and Glasgow returned the following season.

The bit I don't get, and this is a serious question, is what top riders this season were unavailable to be considered by Glasgow due to them riding in Poland?,

I think you did well with Summers, Lawson and Morris who were a decent top 3, not much room for improvement there,

You dont need to be a top rider to be in Poland. Worrall S, Vissing, King, Anders Thomsen etc all ride there. By moving away from a Sunday it increases the number of available riders to choose from and with Scunthorpe vacating a Friday its shooty in.

Wonder if Scunthorpes change of race day requires to be voted on. #justasking

• Like 2

I'm still waiting for a full reaction from Glasgow on their website as to what happened on Saturday.

Could be waiting a while for that it seems like it's been swept under the carpet as if Saturday never happened.

Why would you want to go on the Glasgow website to see what happened were you not there? , Do you not support Edinburgh?.

Then why on earth would you want to go on another team's website to see a match report or are you just being an erse.

I think you are being and erse personally.

See the i am never wrong Moanarch's do gooder's are out in force today p"ssing myself at some off the higher than mighty stance.

Edited by Gazc

Wasn't there on Saturday - but Friday night was the best atmosphere I've been at Speedway. Sure Saturday was the same. We got beat but these are the good times and we will be talking of them in years to come. I don't mind a bit of arguing right enough, but at the end of the day both sides have had a fantastic year. Which is good for Speedway. Never thought we would win the league and was delighted to be there on Friday night in the surreal atmosphere. Loved it loved it loved it.

Edited by damosuzuki

Wasn't even Phil Lanning who wrote it.

Why would you want to go on the Glasgow website to see what happened were you not there? , Do you not support Edinburgh?.

Then why on earth would you want to go on another team's website to see a match report or are you just being an erse.

I think you are being and erse personally.

See the i am never wrong Moanarch's do gooder's are out in force today p"ssing myself at some off the higher than mighty stance.

Sounds like you are running out of steam now Gazc.

Best get back to bbc Alba - there's a game on!

Edited by TheScotsman