British Speedway Forum
Paul Johnson

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2016?

Lets face it none of them have been outstanding in PL.

As yet, might be just the leg up some of these riders need. It can't do any harm and if it does work for some of them I wish them then British speedway will benefit from it

As yet, might be just the leg up some of these riders need. It can't do any harm and if it does work for some of them I wish them then British speedway will benefit from it

Agree,was just replying to the Quote that Rob Godfrey was saying about the "spirit "of selections of 3 pt riders.

Probably a side swipe at the clubs who have select riders who have Premier League experience.

Berwick; Liam Carr

Plymouth; Ellis Perks

Rye House; Ben Morley

Peterborough; Tom Perry

Sheffield; Nathan Greaves

Workington; Matt Williamson.

If those teams hadn't have selected them then they might not have teams and there's some improvement in that list. Then they'd be facing not riding PL like Morris and Nielsen for example, which won't help them to improve.

• Like 2

If those teams hadn't have selected them then they might not have teams and there's some improvement in that list. Then they'd be facing not riding PL like Morris and Nielsen for example, which won't help them to improve.

Agreed it might be a little bit of a swipe but all the above riders deserve a crack at the PL. Whilst all have had chances in the past some may find it easier this year with less pressure on them and less fear of being replaced by a cheap foreigner.

Once the season is done it will be interesting to review the results as some will flourish, some status quo and some will undoubtedly flop.

• Like 1

Probably a side swipe at the clubs who have select riders who have Premier League experience.

Berwick; Liam Carr

Plymouth; Ellis Perks

Rye House; Ben Morley

Peterborough; Tom Perry

Sheffield; Nathan Greaves

Workington; Matt Williamson.

when you look at that list i dont see a problem--ok Morley and Perry have had alot of chances and i cant see them making it,the rest well deserve a go

I still can work out why it wasnt a draft to be honest --a bit like the EL,maybe that would have been a little fairer

I think the main efficiency in both the EL draft and the PL 3 pointer is that the riders selected do not become assets of the club. They are effectively one season loans. Therefore, clubs are much more inclined to go with who can score a few points now over who has the most potential to be a good scorer for the club in years to come. There is no incentive to invest in potential.

I think the main efficiency in both the EL draft and the PL 3 pointer is that the riders selected do not become assets of the club. They are effectively one season loans. Therefore, clubs are much more inclined to go with who can score a few points now over who has the most potential to be a good scorer for the club in years to come. There is no incentive to invest in potential.

The incentive to invest in potential comes from each club in the country having a junior set up. Something I would really like to see brought in. Encourages clubs to bring more local riders to the teams in future. Fans will almost relate more to local riders.

Team looks solid with room for improvement AND plenty of entertainment and also doesn't bust the budget with silly money, so gives sustainability

Well done Rob & Co.

Roll on 2016 season ko

• Like 6

Like the look of this team think holub is the key if he gets anywhere near his starting average we are in for a good season

Edited by phillwhitewasmad

Club want to know what supporters would like to see at the EWR in 2016.

Heres a few things..

Team race suits so we look like a team.

Team shirts based on the race suit for fans to buy.

Food Themed race nights in better weather BBQ night; Curry night; Pizza night?

Free beer or soft drink ?

Themed music 60s night 70s, 80s etc..

Give aways say; flags ? stickers

Meetings filmed to assist ref with decisions and available to fans to buy

Starting gate based on the one at Sheffield complete with coloured lighting rig

Start grid girls ?

Improved seating on home straight; consider cover ? and additional lighting ?

When Glanford Park closes can we blag some of the fixs & fittings ?

Always hand the chequred flag to the winning Scorpion for his lap of honour.

When we win the riders walk into the crowd to take the applause.

Be the No8 Scorpion ! . Get on the team buy a photo of yourself with the team ! Proceeds to Sting Fund.

Could we stage the Scunthorpe Individual Championship; to find the master of the EWR ? Would be a nice variation from regular team racing as one off.

Admission concessions buy 4 get one free.

Discount on the gate admission if you support the team away (negotiated with home team) and vice versa away fans visiting Scunny ?

Just one or two things off the top of my head as I type.

This doesn't just apply to the Scorpions, but if you want a sustainable team in years to come, you need to ensure that you don't spend money un-necessarily, and some of the above would cost too much to instigate for the promotion.

For example:

Team race suits so we look like a team. - Approximate cost for a full set of team Kevlars, around £6K

Food Themed race nights in better weather BBQ night; Curry night; Pizza night? - maybe something to get the track caterers involved in, or enlist the help of someone with time on their hands to organise it

Free beer or soft drink ? - :drink:Good Luck on that one

Themed music 60s night 70s, 80s etc. - Relatively easy to organise, if you have someone willing to take it on. Most announcers have a day job, so it may be something for someone who is retired to take it on

Give aways say; flags ? stickers - Cost of the items? Loss of track shop income ! Small hand flags etc aren't that expensive, but having them custom printed may add to the cost of having them produced, larger flags, 5ft x 3ft for instance start at around a fiver, upwards, but again custom printed ones cost considerably more

Starting gate based on the one at Sheffield complete with coloured lighting rig - Wouldn't know the full cost of something like that, but can't be cheap, even if you could buy one complete. My guess is you would have to have it fabricated, and with 80mm steel tube around £80 per 6 metre length, the lights, cabling etc, I would imagine this would cost well in excess of £5k to have one made, and that's without any consideration for labour cost.

Improved seating on home straight; consider cover ? and additional lighting ? - Individual plastic seat tubs cost around £8 - £10 each, without fixings, plus the cost of the lighting. If you want to build a covered seating area, a 60 seater will cost you around £18k for the building only, with seats adding to that cost

When Glanford Park closes can we blag some of the fixs & fittings ? - Would help to keep the cost of the above down, but what kind of condition would they be in, and you would have the cost of transporting it all.

Could we stage the Scunthorpe Individual Championship; to find the master of the EWR ? Would be a nice variation from regular team racing as one off. - Individual meeting rarely make money for a promotion, as spectators are more interested in watching their team. It would have to be something extra special to attract a good crowd, and that's before you add the cost of putting one on, and attracting decent riders to get a good crowd in

Admission concessions buy 4 get one free. - This is possible, and something that all promotions should be focusing on is getting new people through the gate, if you offer a group discount, for say 10 persons, there may be some regular spectators in that group, but a hell of a lot will be first timers, who have not been before, and were unlikely to come otherwise

Discount on the gate admission if you support the team away (negotiated with home team) and vice versa away fans visiting Scunny ? - Adminsitrative nightmare !!

So just looking back at those, the two major cost for the race suit, and the seating/covered stand come to around £24k, which would go a long way to paying some of the bills for any speedway promoter. If you could get a major benefactor to pay for those, all well & good, but getting those kind of sponsors is difficult at the best of times.

I'm not saying you should spend money, but spend it wisely, and on items & promotions, such has hospitality deals etc, which will get new people through the gates, especially those who wouldn't have been coming in the first place.

Not having a go, just an observation

Edited by womble53
  • Like 3

Has Taylor Poole qualified for his visa yet? I was surprised not to see him in the state titles at the weekend so I presume he must be sorted.

Thanks for that, it's a big risk to put all his eggs in one basket in my opinion