British Speedway Forum
Paul Johnson

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2016?

You can - it's known as the 'purposive approach' to judicial legislation. It is very common in Inland Revenue law. Pepper v Hart [1993] is the landmark judgement in this area.

However that is clearly not the approach taken by the SCB/BSPA this season. We have already had two examples where the strict literal approach has been used (Jade Mudgway and Belle Vue's use of rider replacement at Swindon) so after due consideration I agree with you.

That's the problem, though. They are never consistent.

Craig Cook can't double up because his two teams ride on the same night. So do Dan Bewley's but he can.

You can't help but think that the rulings are dependent upon precisely who is affected by them.

• Like 3

That's the problem, though. They are never consistent.

Craig Cook can't double up because his two teams ride on the same night. So do Dan Bewley's but he can.

You can't help but think that the rulings are dependent upon precisely who is affected by them.

The National League is rarely considered in the great scheme of things so I doubt that the same conditions apply.

• Like 1

Been pondering over our team change(s) dilemma. I hate changing to be fair but needs must I suppose; Ashley Morris is probably unlucky to go; but he was aware of this. Can we make another ?; because it might have to be Zdneck Holub who loses out for the greater good ?. Even if we can actually do this ?.

So if we brought in Andreas Lyager for his obvious potential, and say; Ty Procter; that should make us more solid, and he fits the bill average wise being almost a straight swap for our original Aussie signing Taylor Poole.

I am sure that the rest of the team can bounce back from the Glasgow "walloping" not for one minute are they all suddenly bad riders; far from it. To have kept that meeting in the realms of respectability we are relying heavily on Josh Auty; and he will be disappointed as anyone with his return on the day. But it does underline the problem we have if he is not leading the charge.

All of them have shown their ability and I am sure they will do again.

Edited by the outsider

Some berwick fans not happy with their team saying that thomas isnt a number 1 and should maybe be dropped, peterbrough thread saying tofty has to go or we have signed tofty and porsing...maybe thomas should come home?

Some berwick fans not happy with their team saying that thomas isnt a number 1 and should maybe be dropped, peterbrough thread saying tofty has to go or we have signed tofty and porsing...maybe thomas should come home?

Thomas is not a number 1 neither is josh..we need a proper number 1

• Like 1

Thomas is not a number 1 neither is josh..we need a proper number 1

One poor result and you turn against your team of racers,why doesnt that surprise me!
  • Like 1

only league meetings should count towards averages, not the tin pot league cup which leaves the door open for blowing that competition to strengthen majorly for the league... Like scunny did a few years ago, it shouldnt be allowed...

PLC group matches count towards GSA, it's only SF and the final matches that don't.

Hammered at Peterborough, Berwick and Glasgow.. I make that three bad results! Supporters already thinking its a waste of time following the team on its travels, unless changes are made, how long before they say its not worth watching at home either. We need strengthening...

Edit... make that 4... the home defeat to Peterborough wasn't much fun either. (or Sheffield...but that wasn't no great surprise)

Edited by Albert

it's more than just one bad result! Last season showed that home defeats mean Scunny fans don't turn up so changes are vital to avoid that at the start of the league programme imo.

Got a feeling this will be scunthorpes last season.... Why do they seem to be making their team changes revolve around holub on this seasons form he should be the first one out the door.... Been absolute crap

• Like 1

Got a feeling this will be scunthorpes last season.... Why do they seem to be making their team changes revolve around holub on this seasons form he should be the first one out the door.... Been absolute crap

Positive thinking

Reading the comments on the teams away performance I agree with some of them but not all. If team changes are to be made and I think it is required WHO is to say that any new rider will do any better than the ones that now ride for Sconthorpe? If Andreas joins the line up and a move around of the others lets see what resolves as I think " things will only get better" as the song goes.

Reading the comments on the teams away performance I agree with some of them but not all. If team changes are to be made and I think it is required WHO is to say that any new rider will do any better than the ones that now ride for Sconthorpe? If Andreas joins the line up and a move around of the others lets see what resolves as I think " things will only get better" as the song goes.

Agree; I think we do not need a knee jerk reaction and then end up making mistakes. Get Andreas in as we intended and lets at least give the team its chance to respond. Those that struggled at Glasgow; Berwick and Peterborough deserve the chance to put things right. I always favour backing our original judgement and seeing where it takes us; but the counter argument is that we do not have much time; before results start to affect crowd levels further ..or will they ? Are we already down to the core of our support ?. Zdneck seems to be coming in for most criticism; but for me he is far better than a 3.00CMA and he could yet prove a real trump card in reserve. What with his injury; he has not had a real shot at it so far, if we could just cut him a bit of slack. Still think we have a very supportable team; if we can just ride out these disappointments; stick together and show what we are capable off 1-7.

• Like 2

Lets be honest !, you are not going to win the League, but nether are you going to finish's bottom, enjoy having a team because us Wimbledon, Reading, Hull, Bradford, Hackney, Boston, White City, Etc, etc, etc, wish we had a team !!!!!!!!.

• Like 3