British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Now Len Silver Resigns As Co Promoter Rye House

Well its official…..Len Silver resigns as co-promoter at Rye.

Shame no farewells, obviously major fractions with both Andrew & Len Silver between Warren Scott and Steve ‘Penk’ Jenson.

Len Silver a very loyal man to both Hackney and Rye House he doesn’t deserve to leave Rye House in my opinion, in such a way.

• Like 2

With a new owner at Rye House and Len involved in Kent, it was always on the cards.

Len has done a lot for Speedway over the years,

As an outsider looking in, this could be the fresh impetus that Rye and Len need. There little doubt that his first 10 years back at Rye House he did wonderful things. He signed them Kennett, Woffinden and Sundstrom, he built good, solid and successful teams in the NL and the PL. About 2005ish they were a club to be envied, they seemed to have it all with their promotion owned stadium added to my previous list. But the last few years things have gone a bit awry. Rye have become a bit looked down on and down trodden, hopefully some fresh new people can breathe some life into it while Len can do for Kent what he did for Rye House.

As an outsider looking in, this could be the fresh impetus that Rye and Len need. There little doubt that his first 10 years back at Rye House he did wonderful things. He signed them Kennett, Woffinden and Sundstrom, he built good, solid and successful teams in the NL and the PL. About 2005ish they were a club to be envied, they seemed to have it all with their promotion owned stadium added to my previous list. But the last few years things have gone a bit awry. Rye have become a bit looked down on and down trodden, hopefully some fresh new people can breathe some life into it while Len can do for Kent what he did for Rye House.

...or done to/for Rye House? :unsure:

...or done to/for Rye House? :unsure:

eh?

I just thought that Len Silver was deserving of praise for the way he handled the Rye House revival years ago, then for all the hard work he has since put in at Hoddesdon.

Edited by Guest

Agreed. I acknowledge the great things Len has done for the sport as a whole and the glory days of Rye House but recently he has become to stubborn and spread thin to serve the best interests of both.

If this now gives him time to pay attention to the NL / junior leagues then perhaps some genuine new talent may come through the Kent doors.

(If he solely relies on what someone does on a few practice laps around Iwade then perhaps not).

100% of Lens focus on Kent is a potentially scary thing!

Oh and FYI Len 20 tons of shale at Central Park is a tenth of what's needed!!!!!

• Like 1

Good pun SCB. :t::)

I see what you did there. :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

The old geezer lost his way years ago. I would be very worried if I was a Kent fan.

• Like 1

The old geezer lost his way years ago. I would be very worried if I was a Kent fan.

Unnecessary Blazeaway.

He could leave you, me and most other Posters on here standing on knowledge of the Sport.

He is one of the Promoters I actually trust in Speedway.

Unnecessary Blazeaway.

He could leave you, me and most other Posters on here standing on knowledge of the Sport.

He is one of the Promoters I actually trust in Speedway.

I agree with Blazeaway. As one of his own Staff at Rye said to me a couple of years ago, he used to be one of the best but he has lost the plot and is still stuck in the 1980's. Len is a very single minded and determined man. At times that can be a good quality and certainly was when he bought the Rye House stadium, kicked out the stock cars and put it on its feet as a viable Speedwáy venue, a fantastic acchievement but in recent years his single mindedness seems to have made him a grumpy cantankerous old curmudgeon who doesn't know how to get on with people. Not exactly Mr Popularity at Kent by all accounts.

I think Rye House is a lovely little stadium for Speedwáy on a summer evening. I really hope the new owners can get the track sorted and the stadium organised again. And some decent fish and chips once more. I look forward to going back there if the do.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 5

I agree with Blazeaway. As one of his own Staff at Rye said to me a couple of years ago, he used to be one of the best but he has lost the plot and is still stuck in the 1980's.

No wonder the White Knight likes him :P

• Like 7

Well put E I Addio

I thank Len for two huge achievements: my childhood heroes of the Sunday afternoon 70s (Hubbard, Mullarkey, Fiala, Garrad, etc) and the resurrection of Rye from 2000 onwards. But it does feel like it's time for Rye House and Len to each move on. I'm nervous about what the future holds at Rye but the new promotion deserve a chance and our support.

Len Silver is the closest thing modern day speedway has to Johnnie Hoskins and I hope his achievements and his commitment to the sport are recognised one day.

• Like 4