British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

The Points Limit

So who didn't believe when I said it was too high but is now panicking that their club are going to struggle to build anywhere near the points limit?

I thought it was a bit high too, although if the reserves are getting converted averages it counteracts it slightly.

But if riders are dropping out of the UK then it may cause problems for some clubs. Leicester, for example, could struggle.

Then again - do we really need total equality at the start of the year? I remember a time when a good old 60 point thrashing over 13 heats was seen as great entertainment.

Edited by grachan

I thought it was a bit high too, although if the reserves are getting converted averages it counteracts it slightly.

Actually, it doesn't. As most of them averaged 5-7 in 2015, letting them in on 3-4 means losing 4 or 5 points straight away.

Actually, it doesn't. As most of them averaged 5-7 in 2015, letting them in on 3-4 means losing 4 or 5 points straight away.

On the BSPA site they are all listed as 3.00, so it will be a slight gain from that. Not much, though, if it's as you say.

Don't worry. Everyone might get a chance to nick someone from Swindon's side half way though the year if a house appears on the back straight..

• Like 1

The changing of the race format left so many riders around the six point mark. It also protected reserves from racing against the top riders week in week out, if they hadn't been wrapped in cotton wool they would have proper EL averages and the riders in the main teams would also have averages which varied a little more than being between 5.5-6.5, thus there would be no need for a heatleader grading list.

Hopefully the race format changes back for 2016. It's madness teams chasing the likes of Kasprzak just because they need to use up all their points, then they'll be complaining when he averages six with the rubbish race format.

It doesn't really matter what the points limit is within a few points either way. All clubs start from the same team building position - zero and upwards.

It doesn't really matter what the points limit is within a few points either way. All clubs start from the same team building position - zero and upwards.

Ah well, as a Poole fan it doesn't effect you so you can take a flippant attitude.

It's NOT good for a team to be cast adrift from March and with no hope of building a decent team all season.

The usual blind south coast attitude.

• Like 2

Even with a low points limit, the best teams tend to get to the top by choosing the best available riders on certain averages.

The rest are then left to pick over what is left, and it can mean having an uninteresting side that struggles.

You can bet that whatever the points limit, the likes of Poole, Swindon and Coventry are going to be near the top come the end of the year - and two of those sides are in danger of not being around much longer.

But other sides need to be kept competitive in this era of low crowds and team struggling to survive financially.

The points limit can make quite a difference at the moment with the league losing top riders every year.

Over the last five or six months I've found myself drifting away from domestic speedway after thirty plus years of almost fanatical support, I haven't been on here for a long while and I think I attended seven meetings last season after years and years of 30+ season in, season out. Suffice to say even before Puk decided to sit out the UK (don't blame him or any GP rider) the coming EL season looked unappealing with more big names opting out and a too high a points limit controlling the riders who are left. No doubt an extra pound will be lumped on admission for what is an annually weaker product and overall I can't see me even making the seven meetings I did last season in 2016. The enthusiasm just isn't there any more which a few years ago would have been heartbreaking but just doesn't seem to matter. Hopefully Buster can use his five years to sort things out but without support I'm not sure he can do an awful lot.

• Like 1

Ah well, as a Poole fan it doesn't effect you so you can take a flippant attitude.

It's NOT good for a team to be cast adrift from March and with no hope of building a decent team all season.

I agree. I try and look it at if I was a Leicester fan and it doesn't look good. :(

Ostrich.

I agree there is a big problem.

The question is did the owners of the clubs realise that so many riders would not ride here this year.

When the points limit was announced all the owners started to build their teams. Some did not get riders they thought they would and others had a plan and used that as their starting point.

I do not quite see what anyone thinks an owner should do.

Maybe, the EL should be abolished and joined with the PL to make two leagues but what would happen to riders like Harris, Doyle, and a few more?

I agree there is a big problem.

The question is did the owners of the clubs realise that so many riders would not ride here this year.

When the points limit was announced all the owners started to build their teams. Some did not get riders they thought they would and others had a plan and used that as their starting point.

I do not quite see what anyone thinks an owner should do.

Maybe, the EL should be abolished and joined with the PL to make two leagues but what would happen to riders like Harris, Doyle, and a few more?

The points limit should have been nearer 38 than 40.5. I know some fans would have moaned but they're going to moan even more at the poor teams and mis-matched meetings we'll get.

Any sport where the same teams dominate becomes less appealing over time & the promotors must have known the GP riders who rode here last season were seriously considering not riding here in 2016.

Are they really that daft not to have realised it & the way the draft reserves has been done since day one was ridiculous & then they go & change the race format so averages become a lottery.

It really is a dreadful situation & those who made these decisions should hang their heads in shame.

• Like 4