British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Tommy Jansson

Just been looking thru' the wonderful images of Wimbledon Riders (earlier thread) and Tommy Jansson had it all. Good looks and a style on a bike to match. I last saw him ride at Swindon in 1976 competing in a Golden Helmet encounter with Martin Ashby and although loosing the tie he was just poetry in motion. A rider who had everything but his life was cut short during that awful night of the 20th May 1976 when he was killed competing in a world championship meeting in Sweden. I remember waking up to the news and feeling numb. Would he eventually have become World Individual Champion (he was already a twice Pairs World Champion)? We'll never know but my guess would have been a resounding yes! Gone but never forgotten.

PS The book on Tommy's life is well worth a read.

Edited by steve roberts

I got his autograph that night. Unfortunately my autograph books are now a long time lost.

Saw him ride a few times, including the next challenge against Dave Jessup, which may even have been his final UK meeting.

Great rider. World champ? Who knows? But up there with the best.

• Like 1

I went that day still have his autograph, i got that in a test match New Zealand v Sweden a prized possession of mine.He had everything a brilliant riding style and how history could of been so different he would only have been 27 in the year 1980 and he would of been at his peak we were all robbed.No doubt in my mind he would of been world champ,and he would of been around for along time proffessional dedicated and i can always remember his black leathers with the Gold stars down the side a real class act.

• Like 2

Just been looking thru' the wonderful images of Wimbledon Riders (earlier thread) and Tommy Jansson had it all. Good looks and a style on a bike to match. I last saw him ride at Swindon in 1976 competing in a Golden Helmet encounter with Martin Ashby and although loosing the tie he was just poetry in motion. A rider who had everything but his life was cut short during that awful night of the 20th May 1976 when he was killed competing in a world championship meeting in Sweden. I remember waking up to the news and feeling numb. Would he eventually have become World Individual Champion (he was already a twice Pairs World Champion)? We'll never know but my guess would have been a resounding yes! Gone but never forgotten.

PS The book on Tommy's life is well worth a read.

I'm halfway through the book...it is a good read.

Shame I never got to see him ride.

I liken him to the Swedish Bruce Penhall.

I supported Wimbledon in the Tommy Jansson years. Never known a rider with such charisma. Total darling of the supporters, Remember as if it was yesterday going to Plough Lane for the meeting following his death, Many supporters just couldn't face going again, and for those of us who did the atmosphere was like a morgue. Always believed that the day Tommy died was the day Wimbledon Speedway died, it was never the same .

Would of won a World title in my book,i have no doubt about that he would of been around racing until at least the age of 35 1976/88.My son played Football in Sweden for two years for a club in Eskilstuna and Tommy is still fondly remembered loved still pictures and books there remembering him could he of challenged PC in 1976 what a thought the sport was robbed of a nice human being and a great rider.

I supported Wimbledon in the Tommy Jansson years. Never known a rider with such charisma. Total darling of the supporters, Remember as if it was yesterday going to Plough Lane for the meeting following his death, Many supporters just couldn't face going again, and for those of us who did the atmosphere was like a morgue. Always believed that the day Tommy died was the day Wimbledon Speedway died, it was never the same .

i totally agree with you. I often wonder how belle vue managed to overcome the loss of Peter craven in 1963.