British Speedway Forum

I can't argue with that - mine too. :t:

Forgot to mention Sam Ermolenko, I had a bit of a break from speedway when he started to make an impact..

I did continue to get the SS though and tried to keep up to date..

I would put Sam above the Moran brothers as much as I used to like watching them..

I think to be a great rider you need to occasionally be a hard rider, and Nielsen was good enough to pull it off most of the time. I felt that Tatum always did have a bit of a tendency to crumple under pressure, and Nielsen did exactly what required at Bradford.However, Tatum did exactly the same thing to Nielsen in the Intercontinental Final the previous year, so it's difficult to have a lot of sympathy. You win some you lose some.

Well, not exactly what was required; he started as hot favourite and finished 4th

HE'S my mate but I don't think I'm being biased when I suggest that Briggo would have won more World titles under a GP system. He qualified for 18 consecutive finals, a remarkable achievement, and often only lost out on the day because he couldn't resist tinkering with his machinery. He would certainly have had many more good meetings than bad over the course of a GP season.

Not so sure.

Fundin seemed to be the more consistent - their respective World Final records certainly suggest that. Between '56 and '63, I think Fundin would have ruled the roost, although I think Briggo may have forced the issue one year and come through - 1958?

Briggo, Knutsson, Plechanov and Fundin would have all been trading blows in '64 and '65, while Briggo probably was ahead in '66 and '67, although there is the matter of Briggo's performance in the 1966 WTC FInal (1 point!!), so would he have scored enough points from the Polish GPs?

And then Mauger is supreme from '68 to '75.

I reckon Briggo would have won somewhere between 2 and 5 Grand Prix championships.

All the best

Rob

A VERY fine Post Dave the Mic.

I totally agree with you on just about everything you have written.

One point of interest to me is that when you are talking about top Riders. I find it incredible how many British Riders in the Seventies, who would probably be classed/considered as great, and yet how few there are today.

A sad reflection on the state of our Sport these days.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

A VERY fine Post Dave the Mic.

I totally agree with you on just about everything you have written.

One point of interest to me is that when you are talking about top Riders. I find it incredible how many British Riders in the Seventies, who would probably be classed/considered as great, and yet how few there are today.

A sad reflection on the state of our Sport these days.

Thanks TWK. Agreed. You could also add (& I probably should have) Bettsy, Jessup & Crash to name 3. Who from the latter periods? Very few.

• Like 1

Brilliant post Dave the Mic, really enjoyed reading that and I pretty much agree 100% with it!

The only rider I would perhaps give a bit more credit too is Billy Hamill who was one I feel had injuries curtail his effectiveness earlier than some. I think he topped the Elite League Averages 3 years running for 3 different teams? That said, he'd still rank behind the other American World Title winners, so perhaps not too much of a difference to your analysis.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Any others for the at least 1 World Title, 1 BLCR and 11pt average club?

So we have

Barry Briggs

Ivan Mauger

Ole Olsen

Peter Collins

Hans Nielsen

Sam Ermolenko

I think Erik Gundersen would get into that list.

He was just over an 11 average from all official matches with Cradley in the 1986 season, won the BLRC in (I think) 1983 and 1986 and obviously took his 3 individual speedway World titles in 1984, 1985 and 1988.

Rickardsson comes fairly close to Mauger, if only for his 6 titles & how much better he was than all of his peers, although I feel Ivan had more peers at the top level & would have outstripped Tony had they raced at the same time.

A good post, I enjoyed reading your views, but the thing that stood out most for me was this comment.

You rate Ivan better because he had more peers "at the top level" during his career. Given the fact that it impossible to compare across eras, could you not argue that Tony was actually better because there were fewer peers able to get close to his level?

I admit I am kind of playing devil's advocate with that comment, but I thought it was worth throwing out to see what people think.

Personally, I rate Rickardsson as the best ever, but I only really saw Mauger at the end of his career and that obviously brings in a bias. Despite having seen plenty of videos of Ivan at his prime, the sport changed so much between their respective eras that I find it really hard to appreciate his ability in the same way as I can with Rickardsson.

Olsen was possibly a better all round rider than both, but Hans and Erik probably won more titles as they were by some margin the two stand out riders of their day, whilst Olsen had many more peers to contend with. Jan O Pedersen was a good rider, spectacular as they come & one of the best "racers" of is day. I accept he was unlucky with injuries, but I don't feel he was quite in the same league as the other 3 here. Knudsen was good, but not great, although he was unfortunate in '86, when there is no doubt Nielsen should have been excluded for taking him off. Nicki Pedersen is also in the mix here, & although his three world titles speak very loudly, I feel he would have won less had he raced in a different era. No other Danes are worthy of significant mention.

My all time favourite rider is still Erik Gundersen, and I still believe we would have seen more World titles from him if he hadn't had that terrible accident at Bradford in 1989.

Possibly strangely, I also think Hans Nielsen would have won more World titles if Erik hadn't had that crash. Maybe I just imagine it, but it seemed like a little something was lost from Hans after that day.

• Like 1

Some good & interesting posts, I also much prefer it when everyone 'plays nicely' and just discusses speedway. That way we all get more from the forum as we both learn stuff we never knew and / or consider a view or angle on the sport we probably never considered before. Back on topic: riders of any era perform better when they have someone they really (really) want to beat and cannot abide losing to: Briggs / Fundin, Mauger / Olsen / Collins, Penhall / Carter, Nielsen / Gundersen, Rickardsson / Crump / NickiP, etc, etc. Doesn't always follow that they aren't on at least speaking terms though. Nielsen defo appreared to lose some of his edge with Gundersen missing from the equation following his awful accident else their battles could have gone on and on....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 2

Henry, I can see your thinking on Trick & Ivan. My logic is based on the fact that during Ivan's reign, not only did he have the likes of Olsen, Collins, Mich, Briggo, Fundin, Lee, to contend with, but others like Louis, Simmo, Sjosten, the Poles in the their on back yard etc, but he also almost single handedly took NZ to a WTC win, was a real mainstay of the GB team when Kiwis raced for GB, topped the BL averages more often than not & raced at a near 11 point average (or more) for many years, won 3 individual titles in a row, including one in Poland, where it was always hard to achieve anything, won a title at 37 & again at 39, won three BL titles ina row with Belle Vue & then turned unfashionable Exeter into title winners with an average team & almost did the same with Hull. I was lucky enough to see both over many years & I simply think Ivan was the complete package, on & off the track. He was something of a winning machine.

Agree with both you & Martin re Hans & Erik, their intense rivalry spurred them both on to great things & I do believe Hans lost a little something after Erik's crash.

The point I made about GP v one off wins was based on the fact that Hans was more consistent over time & I feel his mindset was more suited to a GP series, in that he was a little bit like Ivan in some ways, a points scoring machine, whereas Erik seemed to be able to raise his game for the big day as he did when needed for example in 84 & 85.

Edited by Dave the Mic

Couple of good posts Dave.Don't agree with a lot of it,but you have put your points out thoughtfully

One thing I would disagree with is your bit about Nicki that you think he would have won less in another era.It is hard to tell in one way,but in anther if you started swapping riders around eras then it is obvious that some would win less.If you put Rickardsson in the same era as Fundin and Briggs then obviously someone must win less.The same if Mauger was in the same era as Rickarsson.Nicki didn't win his titles by luck.In some years he totally dominated,just like Crump and then stragely in some years he looked a shadow of himself as did Crump

there are those riders that noticeably raise their game for big occasions. david ruud had a stormer when Sweden

won the world cup, I believe peter ljung did in the same year against the odds, and Sweden did so yet again this year

Couple of good posts Dave.Don't agree with a lot of it,but you have put your points out thoughtfully

One thing I would disagree with is your bit about Nicki that you think he would have won less in another era.It is hard to tell in one way,but in anther if you started swapping riders around eras then it is obvious that some would win less.If you put Rickardsson in the same era as Fundin and Briggs then obviously someone must win less.The same if Mauger was in the same era as Rickarsson.Nicki didn't win his titles by luck.In some years he totally dominated,just like Crump and then stragely in some years he looked a shadow of himself as did Crump

Yeah, Nicki totally dominated in 2007 and 2008 - completely deserved.

He was fortunate that Crump lost points to engine failures in 2003 - Crumpie was not a rider who had sub-standard machinery, he just had e/fs at the wrong time. Especially the one in the semi in Slovenia, which put Crump out of the final and Nicki into it. Huge swing of points there.

But Nicki still had to go out there and get the points, and kept his cool in the decider in Norway.

And maybe the luck went the other way in 2012. With one single refereeing decision being made another way, Nicki might have nicked it from Chris Holder at the death.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1