British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Live Bands At Speedway Meetings

Didn't Chas n Dave play Cardiff several years ago? Seem to recall Suzi Quattro playing a year or two before/after this. Don't recall much interest from the crowd and, with music tastes often varying considerably, it isn't unexpected that even a well known band could flop in front of a speedway crowd.

John 'Posh' booked a few warm up acts at Cardiff- who can forget 'The Samba Ants' (wtf were they?).

Having watched the Superbowl half-time show I think I'd go for those ant chaps.

Lack of dancing insects is killing the sport...

• Like 1

John 'Posh' booked a few warm up acts at Cardiff- who can forget 'The Samba Ants' (wtf were they?).

Good. :party::cheers:

Just reading a White City programme dated 28th April 1976 (vs. Reading) stating that 'Hawkwind' would be appearing that very night!

I might be wrong but I have a feeling it was rained off that night wasn't it..?

Parsloes 1928 nearly, on 17 Feb 2016 - 12:29 AM, said:

I might be wrong but I have a feeling it was rained off that night wasn't it..?

The match went ahead, Rebels won 48-30. The original staging date of 14th April was rained off.

The Kursaal Flyers released a single called 'Speedway' in about 1975. A decent song - and actually about our sport (unlike say, Morrissey's later tune of the same name).

There was also a rock & roll band in the early 70's called the Wild Angels, who released an album called 'Live at the Revolution'. From memory the front cover featured the band astride speedway bikes, facing the camera, on what appears to be a speedway track - I never did find out which track. I think they were from S. London/Kent but the 'stadium' looked more rural/undeveloped than any of the London tracks or Crayford.

I saw the Wild Angels at the Hammersmith Palais supporting Little Richard.Not that this has anything to do with bands playing live at a meeting

I saw the Wild Angels at the Hammersmith Palais supporting Little Richard.Not that this has anything to do with bands playing live at a meeting

Apparently the Wild Angels were Gene Vincent's backing band on his tour of the UK in 1969.

I've now found a link to the LP cover I mentioned above - evidence of a band being present at a speedway track, if not playing live at a meeting.

https://www.discogs.com/Wild-Angels-Live-At-The-Revolution/master/575009.

Thanx Split for mentioning Nero and the Gladiators a group I hadn't thought of for years, I remember buying their record "Entry of the Gladiators". Followed the link you listed to wikipaedia and sorry to see "Nero" passed away a few years ago. As I recall, their records were on the Decca label-saw them on TV way back and thought they were cool-still do God bless 'em!!

Could that Album cover photo been taken at Foxhall

Don't thinks its Foxhall. My guess would be Eastbourne back straight 1969/70, prior to the stockcar track.

'The Rivals' rings a bell!

Stumbled across this on 'The Rivals':

https://www.speedwayfiction.co.uk/speedwayonvinyl.html

It seems pretty clear that either everyone has completely forgotten about the incredible live acts they saw at speedway tracks or, and I accept that I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, there aren't any to remember.

Right, opening myself up to all sorts of potential litigation I've uploaded a clutch (see what I did there?) of tracks (how good am I?) with a speedway theme to this link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xx97wiwbmztilrr/AAByi3O4c_c8KtRRlMYPZ5ORa?dl=0

Lots of genres to suit even the most discerning of tastes. There's rock with the Rebel Army doing an honourable version of Billy Idol's Rebel Yell. Or should that be Wyvern Yell? Or the Mythical Beastie Army? You've got to cover these bases nowadays you know.

More rock with Rocket Ronnie. It sounds like they did the vocal part as he was plummeting to his death down a lift shaft and I'm seriously concerned about what he departs the scene to do around the 2 minute mark (strangely enough). That sounds like it needs batteries, not methanol. Oh well, each to their own. I know I won't think of a 2-minute buzzer in quite the same way again.

We've even got some whacky Swedes who possibly graced Eurovision. While I'm sure it's probably about how the club was started by a guy who fitted an engine to a hollowed-out moose, it's all in Swedish so there is a chance they're actually chanting some sort of Swedish death mantra as Swedish isn't really my forte. Whatever, I bet there's a moose in it somewhere. A really angry one.

Our friends from above The Rivals are there with both A and B-sides. I must say there is no mention of these men being held against their will in the article linked to above so it must be just an impression I get. If you ever wanted to define what a wet Monday morning sounds like, start your search here.

Did Hoskins ever ride? That would have been great if he had. Old timers could fondly regale us with tales of the various ways he destroyed his helmet after every meeting. Tell me you're not at least guffawing mildly.

Enjoy.

Oooo, if I said you had a beautiful body, would you gie us a guest booking, ooo yehhhh.......

Right, opening myself up to all sorts of potential litigation I've uploaded a clutch (see what I did there?) of tracks (how good am I?) with a speedway theme to this link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xx97wiwbmztilrr/AAByi3O4c_c8KtRRlMYPZ5ORa?dl=0

Great effort Dave.

And not forgetting Amadeus Liszt (Egon Muller) with 'Win The Race':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBTuilMWX5g

And whatever he is signing (I Love The Speedway Sound?) in this clip uploaded by Grachan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Lh_W5aB74

Music that I will always associate with speedway meetings would include 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines' and Horst Jankowski's 'A Walk In The Black Forset' played at the end of meetings at Foxhall Heath.

• Like 1

The Kursaal Flyers released a single called 'Speedway' in about 1975. A decent song - and actually about our sport (unlike say, Morrissey's later tune of the same name).

There was also a rock & roll band in the early 70's called the Wild Angels, who released an album called 'Live at the Revolution'. From memory the front cover featured the band astride speedway bikes, facing the camera, on what appears to be a speedway track - I never did find out which track. I think they were from S. London/Kent but the 'stadium' looked more rural/undeveloped than any of the London tracks or Crayford.

I believe Morrissey's song 'Speedway' is having a go at Johnny Marr, who is a fan of Belle Vue.

Swindon had a period of having local bands and singers performing in the interval a couple of years back. I thought it worked well in keeping the atmosphere going, but it didn't last for long.