British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Live Bands At Speedway Meetings

As some of you will know my other big interest apart from Speedway is live music/gigs.

I wondered if anyone can tell me if they're have been occasions anywhere over the years (or indeed recently) that Speedway stadiums have put on live bands playing after the end of meetings..?
Or any other live music & Speedway related stories/info.?

Thanks.

Other way round.A few years back Brokstedt had a local band on before the meeting.Didn't make much difference to the crowd even though his concerts sell out the stadium in Hamburg.I was quite surprised at the lack of crowd really

http://www.lottokingkarl.de/

Found a report,it was 2010

http://www.shz.de/lokales/norddeutsche-rundschau/msc-brokstedt-show-und-sport-im-holstein-ring-id2825796.html

Of course how could I forget Egon Müller?He often played a concert after meetings.And there are often bands after or even before weekend meetings at speedway,ice speedway but more often longtrack/grasstrack if there is a meeting at the track on both Saturday and sunday then usually Saturday night they put on a concert.But with small local bands

Edited by iris123

As some of you will know my other big interest apart from Speedway is live music/gigs.

And driving through red lights. Don't forget that one.
  • Like 2

Howdy Byford was another rider who often done a turn after the meeting.Here after a meeting in Vienna

http://www.technischesmuseum.at/motorsport-in-oesterreich/veranstaltung/articleid/2189

Although this is not after or before a meeting,the Hurricane festival is a major music festival held at the Scheeßel longtrack stadium.It probably funds the motorcycle clubs season,rather than their longtrack activities and it says it was at this festival in 2004 that David Bowie gave his last full concert.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Festival

Edited by iris123

I once went to a speedway meeting at Champion, New York, where there was a rock concert (a heavy metal festival!) within the curtilage of the speedway stadium. There were no programmes, and because of the 'music' the announcements couldn't be heard so I had no idea what was happening.

• Like 2

I saw a live band at a Scottish Open at Powderhall but can't remember the name or the year. They had that 'it seemed like a good idea when we took the booking' kind of look about them as they belted out their rocky songs to about half-a-dozen mildly interested supporters. I have a recollection of a band playing at Shawfield but that could just be age.

Oh aye, I saw Mai Tai at the Amsterdam world final. Wow, we won't see the likes of those days again...

I saw a live band at a Scottish Open at Powderhall but can't remember the name or the year. They had that 'it seemed like a good idea when we took the booking' kind of look about them as they belted out their rocky songs to about half-a-dozen mildly interested supporters. I have a recollection of a band playing at Shawfield but that could just be age.

Oh aye, I saw Mai Tai at the Amsterdam world final. Wow, we won't see the likes of those days again...

I thought it was Milli Vanilli ??? Though drinks had been taken and far to many if I'm honest

Also didn't Amsterdam have a Frank Sinatra impersonator who won there version of Opportunity Knocks ?

I mean that most sincerely

Wasn't David Walsh involved with or sponsored by a Glaswegian band back in the day? Haven't a clue Stadium Glasgow were using at the time

Edited by Triple.H.

Mai Tai were three Dutch lassies. Milli Vanilli had still to surface, that was the year later. I hate myself for knowing that. I don't recall the Sinatra act. According to the programme he was the winner of the Hennie Huisman Soundmixshow, the Dutch Stars In Their Eyes. I bet the Dutch cabaret circuit is pretty laid back. Nice.

David Walsh used to hang around with, possibly even roadie for, The Pastels. I know the lead singer and a couple of the band used to regulars at Shawfield. They had a song called Speedway but I can't recall how it went. A couple of Teenage Fanclub used to go to Shawfield.

Something similar happened at Poole either late 70's or early 80's. I cannot remember whether the 'local rock band' played before the meeting or in the interval or both and also cannot recall the experiment being repeated.

Hawkwind performed at a meeting at White City in 1976. Acker Bilk became a 'sleeping' partner at Oxford in 1972 (another Dave Lanning publicity stunt?) and it was hoped that his 'Jazzmen' would perform, occasionally, after meetings in the clubhouse.

Wiggy had a band at his farewell meeting at Oxford in 1999.

The promotion of that meeting was awesome, and a sign of what might have been. I'm sure Waggy & Wiggy would have been promoting partners in 2003, had Simon lived. A great loss.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

David Walsh used to hang around with, possibly even roadie for, The Pastels. I know the lead singer and a couple of the band used to regulars at Shawfield. They had a song called Speedway but I can't recall how it went. A couple of Teenage Fanclub used to go to Shawfield.

Dave, there was a song titled 'Speedway Star' on the 'B; side of The Pastels single 'Speeding Motorcycle' which was released in 1991 and both tracks can be found on their 'Truckload of Trouble' compilation album released in 1994. Also on the 'B' side of the single was a track titled '4th Bend'.

Both tracks can be found on youtube if you want to remember how they sounded, with 'Speedway Star' being linked to a video of Indycar racing, strangely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_t7Sgogv0

Wiggy had a band at his farewell meeting at Oxford in 1999.

The promotion of that meeting was awesome, and a sign of what might have been. I'm sure Waggy & Wiggy would have been promoting partners in 2003, had Simon lived. A great loss.

All the best

Rob

Unfortunately, if I recall, there was a problem with the noise that was generated at Wiggy's Final Bash and I believe a curfew was put in place as regards Cowley holding meetings on a Sunday in future? I can't remember the specifics (leave that to you Rob) but I remember that Steve Purchase (then Oxford Promoter) having some issues with the noise.

Slightly off thread but does anyone remember John Davis' record that he made some years ago? Or the record that was made by many of the riders (1974) that was entitled 'Speedway'? I had that particular 45 (collectors item now!!) and on the cover was a picture of all the participating riders dressed in their leathers! Also didn't Shawn Moran make a record? I'm cringing at the memories...!