British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Periscope. A Promoters Nightmare App.

I do not see how this amatuer streaming from some tracks of a few races, done from the terraces from one angle is going to damage the major tv companies or most certainly attendance figures anymore than the speedway on tv has already done so!

Its just simply a quick and opportunistic way of having a look in now and again at what's going on at a meeting in my view. It certainly wouldn't detract me from going to live speedway. Other factors would do that...i.e threat of a rain-off....the Belle Vue fiasco...the Poland fiasco. So just a couple of fans pointing their mobiles at some racing is quite a nice thing to do considering it is costing the person in the first place on data & who has already PAID to go in. Get a life for crying out loud! Enjoy what you've got because it may not be around for much longer the way its all going. I bet most people would have agreed with periscope back in the days of the old World of Sport items they did. 5 minutes of broadcast and that was it. And that was generally from one camera. But then, too many people have gotten greedy and want it all for themselves now!!!

Edited by PiratesPiratesPirates
  • Like 1

No our sport is virtually bankrupt and all tracks rely on promoters and sponsors to subsidise the, already too high, admission prices.

One alternative source of income is from pay TV but that relies on people buying viewing packages. If their streams are stolen and published for nothing then there is a decreasing worth to TV of speedway which will be reflected in the next round of negotiations by a lower price or no TV deal at all.

While apps and streaming may be of use to those who don't want to pay admission to watch their speedway live they are worthless to promoters whose focus should be getting more people onto the terraces.

Additionally it should stop my view of the action being spoiled by some knob waving an i-pad in the air in an effort to film the action for his nerdy "friends".

I agree about the sport being potless and that promoters focus should be on getting the punters in. I guess we just have differing views on people filming it. In my head it's spreading the word by putting a few heats on a mobile phone out there, but I agree that proper streaming of content is different. Not convinced that Sky would care a jot about some nerds sharing a minority sport as they have a few more problems generally with fire sticks and kodi.

I'd love to be watching speedway where my view could be spoiled by someone in front of me rather than empty spaces...

I noticed at Lakeside last night notices at the pay booths about live streaming is not allowed, my take on it is that I think there could be a place for such a service but only if it can be charged for and clubs recieve some recompence for it, if crowds drop because people want to stay at home rather than attend it will force tracks to close which will only hurt those who do make the effort to attend.

Apparently some brilliant races at Poole tonight but because of an announcement that anyone periscoping will be banned the club has lost a brilliant advertising opportunity, one or two races shown would not do any damage but the powers that be still have their heads stuck in the sand.

• Like 2

Why doesn't the management do a periscope production of their own, say pits highlights just pre meeting, warming up, rider thoughts, coin toss, track walk, then highlights of 3 maybe 4 races, crowd views, race end fans view (camera views of crowd) interview riders/fans on result, package it up as a 10/15 min weekly promo video, firstly give it to the local tv news sports desk, then onto you tube..??

Win, win?

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 3

The BSPA have joined 000s of organisations from all walks of life who's first reaction to anything new/different is 'ban it'. It never crosses their mind to think 'How can we turn it to our advantage?'.

• Like 3

The BSPA have joined 000s of organisations from all walks of life who's first reaction to anything new/different is 'ban it'. It never crosses their mind to think 'How can we turn it to our advantage?'.

In a nutshell!

The BSPA, for once, are 100% correct in their decision to ban the leachers and parasites from wanting to watch speedway for free.

However, they should be actively pursuing setting up an official online service of their own. It could be done in conjunction with Sky surely to get around any contract issues?

• Like 2

firesticks just as good for 35 quid and a peice of piddle to put a kodi build on ,

The firestick is very good, but for an extra £45 you can get the fire tv which is much quicker, twice the RAM and as an Ethernet port. Wifi on the stick is good but nothing beats a LAN connection. The best kodibuild is paradox. Paradox updates on a regular basis meaning its maintenance free and he has all the best addons, and you can still add your own like the speedway portal add on which is superb Edited by SUPERACE

I do not see how this amatuer streaming from some tracks of a few races, done from the terraces from one angle is going to damage the major tv companies or most certainly attendance figures anymore than the speedway on tv has already done so!

Its just simply a quick and opportunistic way of having a look in now and again at what's going on at a meeting in my view. It certainly wouldn't detract me from going to live speedway. Other factors would do that...i.e threat of a rain-off....the Belle Vue fiasco...the Poland fiasco. So just a couple of fans pointing their mobiles at some racing is quite a nice thing to do considering it is costing the person in the first place on data & who has already PAID to go in. Get a life for crying out loud! Enjoy what you've got because it may not be around for much longer the way its all going. I bet most people would have agreed with periscope back in the days of the old World of Sport items they did. 5 minutes of broadcast and that was it. And that was generally from one camera. But then, too many people have gotten greedy and want it all for themselves now!!!

If you really think that someone will stop at just a few race you're deluded.

It will be a few races.. then a few more.. then folk will be streaming the whole meetings, building up a nice little following and enjoying the attention. Then the freeloaders will start to think, I'll stay home tonight and watch it for free..

It may not detract you from going along, if I was still in the UK and indeed when I am in the UK it wouldn't stop me from going along.. but it will others.

I'm saying this from a point of view where it would be great for me personally based where I am!

As I've said before, an official streaming service of a decent quality is a different kettle of fish and something they ARE in the backwaters about.

• Like 2

really dont think speedway would be effected by this streaming myself. if people are interested theyd simply go.

you can follow speedway updates, these people like speedway, but not enough to go, and think anyone looking at some poor quality

streaming are probably the same...of course i have no statistics on this matter, just an opinion.

really dont think speedway would be effected by this streaming myself. if people are interested theyd simply go.

you can follow speedway updates, these people like speedway, but not enough to go, and think anyone looking at some poor quality

streaming are probably the same...of course i have no statistics on this matter, just an opinion.

Speedway was certainly effected by the Bet 365 streaming- hence it was dropped as soon as the contract ended.

• Like 1

Don't you think that speedway is affected more dramatically by the weather and admission prices? Not a silly little mobile phone gimmick! I know plenty of people who won't go due to high cost let alone travelling to away meetings with the threat of it being called off.

Don't you think that speedway is affected more dramatically by the weather and admission prices? Not a silly little mobile phone gimmick! I know plenty of people who won't go due to high cost let alone travelling to away meetings with the threat of it being called off.

Exactly

If people would rather sit in the house and watch the sport on an amateur film taken from a mobile phone, rather than watch it live, this says a lot about the state of the sport and what is on offer for the spectators. You see other sports which are live on TV, in bad weather, you get live updates on the internet, facebook, twitter, whatever, but the games still get big crowds because of the atmosphere and experience from being live at the event.

Rather than becoming worried about losing a handful of people, who lets face it if they would rather sit in the house this way than follow your team live, are very casual fans anyway, shouldn't the sport be more concerned about improving the product on show, to attract more supporters? If the product on show was that good, you wouldn't think twice about not wanting to be there live.

I can remember the exact same reaction to the live updates website, some promoters wanted that banned because they thought it would affect crowd levels.

Instead of fearing developments like this, learn to embrace them and find out how you can use them to your advantage to promote your product.

The BSPA, for once, are 100% correct in their decision to ban the leachers and parasites from wanting to watch speedway for free.

However, they should be actively pursuing setting up an official online service of their own. It could be done in conjunction with Sky surely to get around any contract issues?

Agree on your first point absolutely.

On the second, how do we know they aren't?